Light strikes Curtis action

Stoweit

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jun 19, 2017
    New England
    Shot my APR 6.5CM with Curtis Action today, only 6 out of 15 rounds would fire. All the rounds that didn’t fire had far smaller indentation compared to those that did fire. Gun has less than 100 rounds through it. Just seeing if anyone else has seen this, before I send it Curtis.

Attachments

• E2E5D4D5-1385-41CC-9792-9AB8DD0576DD.jpeg
      E2E5D4D5-1385-41CC-9792-9AB8DD0576DD.jpeg
      344.8 KB · Views: 147
    Romney. Spoke with Mr. Russo this morning, has to do with the trigger. Sent him the bolt today, it will get new firing pin, spring, and cocking mechanism. He going to swap parts and ship it back same day that he gets it Great customer service. He guessed I had a Timney before I mentioned it. I don’t think he is a Timney fan.

Thats what i was goin to say also...timney caused light strikes in mine also...trigger tech and huber both worked 100%...the sear on the timney is shorter than both the huber/trigger tech...makes for less firing pin fall

Romney. Spoke with Mr. Russo this morning, has to do with the trigger. Sent him the bolt today, it will get new firing pin, spring, and cocking mechanism. He going to swap parts and ship it back same day that he gets it Great customer service. He guessed I had a Timney before I mentioned it. I don’t think he is a Timney fan.

why would they replace all of that if it was the trigger? I have heard of issues with their firing pin spring not having enough force. I have thousands of rounds on my timneys (they are in 5 guns) and there have been no issues. Are you getting pin fall when you close the bolt? Look at the back of it when you close the bolt and see if it moves.

my timney had the shortest sear (from the front of the trigger to the rear) of the 4 triggers i had...huber, trigger tech, and bix were basically the same...the timney was visibly shorter than both of them...because of this it also had more pin fall when closing the bolt

it was only an issue in the curtis, not my remingtons or impact...but either way the other triggers worked in all the actions, the timney did not

calvin elite 2 stage...myself and a buddy had a similar issue years ago with some tim 510s with a couple stiller actions and the fix was changing to the "u" sear which was supposed to fix light strikes...i had heard they made the change to make the "u" sear the normal sear a while back, but im not sure, havent kept up with it

my timney had the shortest sear (from the front of the trigger to the rear) of the 4 triggers i had...huber, trigger tech, and bix were basically the same...the timney was visibly shorter than both of them...because of this it also had more pin fall when closing the bolt

it was only an issue in the curtis, not my remingtons or impact...but either way the other triggers worked in all the actions, the timney did not
    Exactly what Curtis said, only trigger that didn’t work well with their action. Plenty of internet threads saying the same, sear too short. No problem with now longer length firing pin, works fine now. Wasn’t loving the 510 Timney trigger anyway, so switch to Trigger Tech makes sense. Have one on my AR and it’s bullets.

Not meaning to rip on Timney, plenty of people love them, just don’t know why you’ d have a shorter sear length than the standard. I’m sure they have their reasons. Maybe Calvin elite is different.

Not meaning to rip on Timney, plenty of people love them, just don’t know why you’ d have a shorter sear length than the standard. I’m sure they have their reasons. Maybe Calvin elite is different.

Calvin elite triggers are the same. We did that so that the sear was held for easier installation. We do have long sear Calvin Elite triggers however, and we could trade them out. We have a lifetime warranty and we take care of customers.... If you need anything please do not hesitate to ask.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    Curtis guys got me sorted quickly, gun is lights out now. Curtis actions rock!!!

Stoweit, you actually got response from Curtis?
    I find that borderline a miracle... I've sent emails to them and gotten 0 RESPONSE back in any way shape or form...

Robert at APR has always been awesome and taken care of me. Those guys understand how things should work. But Curtis hasnt even bother to respond... I live less than 20 miles from them, they have all my contact info. Never a call or email...

Maverickasu, they called me back within 8 hours of posting , and I had my Bolt back within 2 days of them receiving it Seems like pretty good service to me. Plenty of people PM’d me with similar experience with Timney triggers and Curtis actions with similar problems. I’d be happy to try a different Timney trigger, but not impressed with this one for the money I paid. YMMV.

Last edited:
    I’m starting to have light primer strikes now as well with my axiom. I am using a timney trigger. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have hundreds of trouble free rounds and now this. I will get it figured out and follow up.

Joel at Curtis sorted it out very quickly, and it worked fine after. I hope I didn't come off as to critical of Timney, they responded very quickly and professionally, to this thread. I just put a lot into this rifle and wanted to make sure my action and trigger were happy together. Timney has a great reputation, but the guy who makes the action says his action doesn't play well with a trigger and recommends another, I decided to switch. My shooting time is limited, and I just wanted get the best reliability for this gun.

Reactions: Timney USA
    Joel at Curtis sorted it out very quickly, and it worked fine after. I hope I didn't come off as to critical of Timney, they responded very quickly and professionally, to this thread. I just put a lot into this rifle and wanted to make sure my action and trigger were happy together. Timney has a great reputation, but the guy who makes the action says his action doesn't play well with a trigger and recommends another, I decided to switch. My shooting time is limited, and I just wanted get the best reliability for this gun.

Thats understood. We do however make a long sear Calvin Elite that probably would have fixed the issue. Please let us know if you need anything else!