• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lighter weight but top tier glass scope?

ormandj

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
While I wait for ZCO to hopefully release something that fits my criteria, what should I be looking at for glass near the same quality but in a lighter weight package? I’m building a lightweight rifle (relative), about 6.7lbs without optics or suppressor. As much as I’d love to toss my ZCO 420 on it, I’d prefer to add less weight.

I am looking for something at least 16 power, preferably 20+. Shorter (13” or less) is preferred, and I’d like weight to be no more than 30oz or so (mid 20s would be amazing).

The real problem is I’m spoiled by these high end scopes, so I’m looking for high quality optics. The March 4.5-28x52 was on my radar (I was recently lent one, and will update with a review of that scope in another thread), but I really want locking turrets.

Is there anything out there that fits the bill?

[Edit: FFP only, SFP and I don’t get along.]

Last edited:
The Leupold Mark 5HD scopes are pretty lightweight. The 3.6-18x44 is 26 ounces, while the 5-25x56 comes right in at 30 ounces. The 3.6-18x44 is also fairly short, just over 12 inches.

As for the glass quality, I've never looked through a ZCO, so I have no basis for comparison. There is a Mark 5HD megathread you might take a look at to get an idea.

Bushy LRHSi 3-12 or 4.5-18.

the new line doesn’t have illlum but rumor is it’s some kind of fantastic glass. Worth trying at $1k price point.

Not a ZCO, but viper PST G2 is very light weight and not too shabby.

Seem much of the more expensive glass weighs more.

Kinda like most stuff

dad “is it heavy”
kid “yeah”
dad “that means its expensive”
😂

Reactions: ormandj
TT 3-15H for locking turrets. I’ve got the M with h Gen2 and H with the Hunter reticle. 0 complaints on either. The H reticle is much better for low power close shots but I’ve never had an issue with the Gen 2.
If you want alpha glass in a lighter weight this is the scope to get.

Reactions: ormandj and Secant
ZC420 and TT315M are on my list and originally I was only thinking about the TT315M, but the price vs. a ZCO always leaves me leaning to ZCO. Frankly, I’m about to get say fuck it and get a ZC527. Who cares about the weight? I’m not carrying the thing through the woods, though perhaps the carbon barrel is now out of place.

ZC420 and TT315M are on my list and originally I was only thinking about the TT315M, but the price vs. a ZCO always leaves me leaning to ZCO. Frankly, I’m about to get say fuck it and get a ZC527. Who cares about the weight? I’m not carrying the thing through the woods, though perhaps the carbon barrel is now out of place.
I suppose the title and contents of my post specifically asking about a lighter weight option somehow didn’t sink in. I already have ZCO 420s and 527s, and they are too heavy for this purpose. This is for a field carry rifle that will go hiking with me, not a game toy going from a range bag to plywood barricades. Ounces == pounds and all that.

Leupold seems to consistently have the lightest weight scopes. The mark 5 may not be the top tier, but it's plenty good enough considering how much weight you can save.

The vortex AMG is also fairly light.

Not a lot out there under 30oz, but there is a reason my hunting rifles wear 15oz scopes and my match rifles are 30oz+. It adds up when you're carrying, and I can always get closer when I'm hunting.

This will be for LR hunting with some mountain hiking so I appreciate the guidance and input. I was just hoping to find something that perhaps cost a bundle, but managed to have great glass and light weight at the same time. Everything is a compromise, but this is something I’d rather the compromise be money.

I’ll go check out some Leupold scopes, that’s one of the few I can find locally and look through, so that makes it easy.

Reactions: Secant
I’ve gone down this road, and I’ve had most mentioned so far: 3-12 bushy, 3.6-18 Mk5, 4-16 ATACR, 6-24 AMG, Kahles 5-25, ZCO420, TT315M…..

There’s definitely a gap in the market from where I’m sitting, but all of the above can definitely be used on a long range hunting setup.

I also still hope it turns into a lighter weight 4-20. ;)
giphy.webp

I suppose the title and contents of my post specifically asking about a lighter weight option somehow didn’t sink in. I already have ZCO 420s and 527s, and they are too heavy for this purpose. This is for a field carry rifle that will go hiking with me, not a game toy going from a range bag to plywood barricades. Ounces == pounds and all that.
No need to condescend. You have your answer, you’re carrying your rifle though none of us would have known that from “the title and contents of [your] post.” Good luck, have fun. 👍🏻👍🏻

While I wait for ZCO to hopefully release something that fits my criteria, what should I be looking at for glass near the same quality but in a lighter weight package? I’m building a lightweight rifle (relative), about 6.7lbs without optics or suppressor. As much as I’d love to toss my ZCO 420 on it, I’d prefer to add less weight.

I am looking for something at least 16 power, preferably 20+. Shorter (13” or less) is preferred, and I’d like weight to be no more than 30oz or so (mid 20s would be amazing).

The real problem is I’m spoiled by these high end scopes, so I’m looking for high quality optics. The March 4.5-28x52 was on my radar (I was recently lent one, and will update with a review of that scope in another thread), but I really want locking turrets.

No need to condescend. You have your answer, you’re carrying your rifle though none of us would have known that from “the title and contents of [your] post.” Good luck, have fun. 👍🏻👍🏻
My intent was not to be condescending, however I can see my response was a bit terse, but it seemed like you were responding to a different post than the one I made. My apologies for any harm, but hopefully the above bolded sections may make clear why I responded the way I did, even if it was perhaps a bit blunt.

Thank you everyone for the input, I’ll keep looking. I emailed March asking them to release a 4.5-28x52 with locking turrets.

Reactions: TheOE800
Swaro Z8 glass is phenomenal. A 2-16 weighs 24 oz. A 2.3-18 weighs 26. If you want a lightweight hunting scope you will be hard pressed to do better.

View attachment 7710303

That’s what I was thinking. Swarovski looks like they have some great lightweight scopes. The Z8i 3.5-28x50 at 23.5oz looks like it would check all the OP’s boxes.

Reactions: EMdoc12
That’s what I was thinking. Swarovski looks like they have some great lightweight scopes. The Z8i 3.5-28x50 at 23.5oz looks like it would check all the OP’s boxes.
I think it’s SFP only. I should have mentioned that in the OP; my fault - I’m used to ignoring that SFP scopes even exist. I’ll edit it in.

My situation is that I use all of my rifles to shoot matches and hunt. I got tired of carrying around a Vortex Razor. I have a Bushnell LRHSi 4-18 and I love it. I shot a rucking match with it and it did well. I didn’t.

I thought about buying another LRHSI and then I looked at the new Vortex LHT in FFP. I couldn’t see buying a scope and then only using half the elevation because of the zero stops.

So now that I’ve sold my Razor, I went with a NF NX8 4-32x50, MRAD, Mil-XT. I put it in Wyatt rings. That will be my new shooting setup.

How’s the glass compared to ZCO/TT?
Not as good in my experience, but I'm limited in my use of scopes compared to many other on here. But the EOTech is Japanese made glass and I'd call it similar to Vortex Japanese made stuff, for around the same prices. I think the 5-25x is around $2k new if I remember correctly. For all I know, it could be the same OEM making them for EOTech and Vortex to different specs, but I have no evidence of that being true.

Reactions: ormandj

[Edit: FFP only, SFP and I don’t get along.]
If you can find a Kahles Helia KX or KXi, you will be in the money. I have ran a KX 3.5-10x50 4D-Dot reticle on my main lightweight deer rifle for over 10 years. Amazing scope. It has capped turrets, but for a 500 yard and under scope, it's absolute money. The glass is just as good as the Swarovski's that I used to sell...Maybe better, honestly. It's pretty close. 👌🏼

They haven't been made in a number of years, but a used one will still get the job done.

If you can't find one, give a look to the Zeiss V6 or V8 series. Zeiss is also top-tier...I have several of them, as well.

Last edited: