Lightweight custom action

VandelayIndustries

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
For a hard use hunting build. Short action.

Would like to check as many of the boxes as I can:

*Durable, something that’ll withstand hard use
*withstand some dust/dirty environments
*not titanium
*60 or 70* bolt lift I really dislike 90*
* as light as possible
*built jn recoil lug and pic rail
*prefits available
*rem700 footprint
*AW mags would be a nice touch

You have locked yourself into so many specific requirements that weight is a given. Not going to see much of any difference in actions with those specs.

I don’t know but your question reads like someone who has their mind made up and soon you will present the ultimate action that meets your specifications.

Reactions: Taylorbok
You have locked yourself into so many specific requirements that weight is a given. Not going to see much of any difference in actions with those specs.

I don’t know but your question reads like someone who has their mind made up and soon you will present the ultimate action that meets your specifications.
If my mind was made up I’d have it in my hands. I also said as many boxes as possible, I’m aware I might not get everything I want. Everything is a compromise somewhere.

Reactions: RTH1800
That's a hard list, I'm not sure if there's an action that checks every one or your boxes.

ARC CDG Lightweight might be the only one that checks all the boxes.

Otherwise here are some other actions that partially fulfill what you are looking for:

- Terminus Apollo Lite, but it's partially made out of titanium.

- Defiance Anti-X, but it's 90°.

- Impact NBK, but it's 90°.

- LP Fuzion Ti and Razor Ti, but titanium and 90°.

- BAT Vesper, but I think it's 90°.

- Kelbly Nanook, but I think it's 90°.

- MacBros Element, but another 90° and probably no pre-fits.

Reactions: VandelayIndustries
Classic Firearms has ONE Aero Solus Lightweight action left, and it's on sale for $729. It matches every box you had listed...They are even cut for AW mags, integrated lug, 60º bolt, 700 footprint, prefits readily available, etc...

Also, most all barrel manufacturers are making prefits for them (they also use Zermatt Origin prefit barrels).

They also make a magnum .540" bolt face version for short mags...It's on sale, too.

Classic Firearms has ONE Aero Solus Lightweight action left, and it's on sale for $729. It matches every box you had listed...They are even cut for AW mags, integrated lug, 60º bolt, 700 footprint, prefits readily available, etc...

Also, most all barrel manufacturers are making prefits for them (they also use Zermatt Origin prefit barrels).

They also make a magnum .540" bolt face version for short mags...It's on sale, too.

I’ve never handled a solus….
I’ve read some stuff on here where some guys say they’re a budget build- maybe some reliably issues. Not sure if those are just outliers or an accurate depiction. Im a little hesitant to go that route.

I’ve never handled a solus….
I’ve read some stuff on here where some guys say they’re a budget build- maybe some reliably issues. Not sure if those are just outliers or an accurate depiction. Im a little hesitant to go that route.
I just ordered my 4th one... They're not junk. People see Aero Precision and immediately think they are. A whole lot of mouths talking shit on here that have never even shot one. I've put close to about 500 rounds downrange through mine combined now, and they're getting smoother and slicker, and better with each range trip. They may not be as slick out of the box as some of the higher priced offerings, but they are built like a tank. They also tick all your boxes on your checklist.

Custom .25 Creedmoor built on a Solus action...

IMG_9754.jpeg
image_cropper_82957909-02CC-4CB4-A8F4-86DB98C26A8F-485-000002A84CC08B50.jpeg

Factory Solus 20" M24 .308 Win...

IMG_9496.jpeg
image_cropper_2DF6F4C3-0713-44A1-B483-B993EC29C729-563-0000043D0D277CF0.jpeg

Last edited:
do you really need a 10 round AW magazine for hunting?

If not then I would go with a Sako 90.

Double stack magazine
60 degree bolt throw
Built in picatinny rail
Double ejection plunger
Bolt locks closed when safely engaged
Carbon fibre stick options.

Aero solus hunter checks all those boxes. Terminus Apollo lite checks most, Curtis hybrid checks a few and there brand new Valor Hunter checks them all as well. Ks arms SAR lightweight checks most.

If you could get past 60 degree then there's kelbly nanook, bat bumblebee/vampire, bat vesper, lone peak alpine cut, impact nbk, falkor lw7, defiance anti-x and probably a handful more thats slipping my mind

Reactions: kthomas
I struggle with this part. Is there a premium hunting action out there that is known to not withstand a hunting trip? Some of the guns that have seen the toughest conditions are the most bare, minimum standard, production guns out there. The M24 used a basic bitch action for all real intent and purpose and was skull drug throughout GWOT. I'm reasonably sure every premium custom action a person is going to find on the market is going to be more than adequate. I also think people aren't as hard on their guns as they think they are.

That's a hard list, I'm not sure if there's an action that checks every one or your boxes.

ARC CDG Lightweight might be the only one that checks all the boxes.

Otherwise here are some other actions that partially fulfill what you are looking for:

- Terminus Apollo Lite, but it's partially made out of titanium.

- Defiance Anti-X, but it's 90°.

- Impact NBK, but it's 90°.

- LP Fuzion Ti and Razor Ti, but titanium and 90°.

- BAT Vesper, but I think it's 90°.

- Kelbly Nanook, but I think it's 90°.

- MacBros Element, but another 90° and probably no pre-fits.

Just saw that the Kelbly Nanook can come with a 75° bolt throw, so that's another one that checks pretty much all the boxes.

Reactions: Harman117
Chiming in on what others have said: if you can look over the 90 deg lift, Kelbly Atlas Lite or Nanook would be MY choice. Absolutely in love with my Prometheus and may get the wife an Atlas Lite.

Reactions: kthomas
From someone who thought any thing over a 70* bolt throw was hideous, I am absolutely in love with my Falkor LW7 I just used for a lightweight 22CM build. 19.6oz and slick as snot. Feeds so smooth that I often wonder if I picked up a round or not. I'm 122 rounds in and have not put one drop of oil on it. Taking it to Wyoming for mule deer in 3 weeks.

Chiming in on what others have said: if you can look over the 90 deg lift, Kelbly Atlas Lite or Nanook would be MY choice. Absolutely in love with my Prometheus and may get the wife an Atlas Lite.

Nanook is available with 75° bolt throw as well.

ETA: Atlas Lite is also available with 75° bolt throw. This model doesn't have integral rail or lug, but seems like a solid option at around $1k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harman117
the solus lightweight action would check all your boxes, but i believe there was some recall with them. Hence why they are out of stock on aero's website

Once they work out that kink, i think it would be a real winner. Advertised around 30 oz.

I grabbed one of their "blem" obsidian actions and it is really nice. Lighter than advertised too - 35.2oz all in

30oz really isn't a lightweight action anymore. A Zermatt Origin weighs 30oz on a scale. If we're quibbling over 3 oz, welcome to the lightweight steel hunting action market. That' pretty much what it's about. Most of them are only 3 to 4 oz lighter than a normal budget based action barring a few exceptionally heavy customs like a Deviant or Impact. So in this market 1 - 3 oz is a difference. If it's not to you then buy whatever action you want. The few exceptions that really stand out for weight are the Anti, Pure Precision Skeleton, and Falkor.

From someone who thought any thing over a 70* bolt throw was hideous, I am absolutely in love with my Falkor LW7 I just used for a lightweight 22CM build. 19.6oz and slick as snot. Feeds so smooth that I often wonder if I picked up a round or not. I'm 122 rounds in and have not put one drop of oil on it. Taking it to Wyoming for mule deer in 3 weeks.
I’ve been looking at this action for a while, but no one seems to run it. Are you able to compare it to any other custom actions out there and what did you do for the barrel?

Falkor uses the same specs as Impact 737 and LP Fuzion. Barrels are everywhere.

They are crazy smooth actions. If I didn't have an anTi already, that's what I'd be getting.

I looked at the Falkor myself, but decided to stick with Lone Peak. Got a Razor Ti, had LP nitride it and it’s just as smooth as I could have wanted. I’m happy with it so far. I was always leery of Titanium but after the MDT burn down video I thought I would give it a shot.

I’ve been looking at this action for a while, but no one seems to run it. Are you able to compare it to any other custom actions out there and what did you do for the barrel?
I have an impact and a lone peak fuzion, a buddy I compete with has a falkor and holy shit they are smooth! I’ll be adding one to the line up for sure. Most likely an lw7 for a hunting build, just waiting to see if they will do the lw7 integral they teased about a few months ago

I have an impact and a lone peak fuzion, a buddy I compete with has a falkor and holy shit they are smooth! I’ll be adding one to the line up for sure. Most likely an lw7 for a hunting build, just waiting to see if they will do the lw7 integral they teased about a few months ago
I had read on this forum or another, for the best of both worlds was to buy the Seven and run the LW7 bolt to save weight. Wish they would sell that combo.

I had read on this forum or another, for the best of both worlds was to buy the Seven and run the LW7 bolt to save weight. Wish they would sell that combo.
Well they released a teaser on Instagram of an integral lw7 but when I asked them they said there was very little interested sparked from it so for the moment it’s on hold unfortunately.

I have 2 more hunting builds I would like to do for sure and maybe 1 more match build so I’ll hold off for a bit to see if it gets released as after playing with a 7even and an lw7 i definitely want one

the solus lightweight action would check all your boxes, but i believe there was some recall with them. Hence why they are out of stock on aero's website

Once they work out that kink, i think it would be a real winner. Advertised around 30 oz.

I grabbed one of their "blem" obsidian actions and it is really nice. Lighter than advertised too - 35.2oz all in
I'm pretty sure that's only affecting certain serial numbers in a from _____ to _____ range. So, chances are, he'd probably be fine. Also, if he wasn't super concerned about weight, just get a regular Solus action, they don't have a recall, and they're not THAT much heavier...Maybe a few ounces because of the full-length top rail...Which actually adds rigidity and strength. Personally, I don't like the split rail actions, but that's just my personal preference. I'd just build on a regular Solus Obsidian action and call it day. You can makeup for that few ounces in weight with the scope, rings, stock, barrel, etc...

I stole this off Reddit from a Google search... Just to clear things up. It's a "might" issue, not a "it's definitely gonna". I'd assume if he's going to run a non-magnum short-action cartridge, he'd probably be just fine, but even if he did buy one on sale from Classic, call Aero, and check the S/N to see if it's one of the affected. If not, good to go. If so, they'll probably get him to shoot it over to them, and swap him out for a new one that's not affected and he won't be out any money, just a little time.

h6zvqhkdaphd1.jpeg

Reactions: YotaEer
My barrel was custom chambered and threaded, proof blank. But I have an ARC CDG and a Terminus Apollo Lite and while I love them all the Falkor is easily the lightest and smoothest.

IMG_8711.jpeg

My barrel was custom chambered and threaded, proof blank. But I have an ARC CDG and a Terminus Apollo Lite and while I love them all the Falkor is easily the lightest and smoothest.

View attachment 8494803
Are those the Hawkins rings? My thought was if you get the LW7 and add a full length rail you can’t be that far off from 7even action in weight. How do you like that style ring?

Are those the Hawkins rings? My thought was if you get the LW7 and add a full length rail you can’t be that far off from 7even action in weight. How do you like that style ring?
Really like them as well. Prefer a rail and ARC rings for most things but this was a weight conscious hunting build.

For a hard use hunting build. Short action.

Would like to check as many of the boxes as I can:

*not titanium
*60 or 70* bolt lift I really dislike 90*
* as light as possible
*built jn recoil lug and pic rail
*prefits available
*rem700 footprint
*AW mags would be a nice touch
I have a very similar list. I haven’t purchased anything because I can’t decide. Paralysis by analysis.
If you’re willing to give up Remington 700 footprint, other than barrel availability, don’t know why you wouldn’t. Get a custom Tikka action from Unknown Munitions. They do a weight reduction and coating.
Tikka prefits are available
Tikka is tried and true
Stock choice will dictate with mag you can use
Hard to beat the Tikka action feel. Really is awesome ESPECIALLY for the money.
Leaning this way myself.

When I want light rifles I start with Lone Peak titanium action and Proof. CF barrel. Murphy Precision titanium rings and 2.5-10x24 NF SCOPE. Done several builds like that.
If you are going to shoot so much that ti action is an issue you need more weight anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's only affecting certain serial numbers in a from _____ to _____ range. So, chances are, he'd probably be fine. Also, if he wasn't super concerned about weight, just get a regular Solus action, they don't have a recall, and they're not THAT much heavier...Maybe a few ounces because of the full-length top rail...Which actually adds rigidity and strength. Personally, I don't like the split rail actions, but that's just my personal preference. I'd just build on a regular Solus Obsidian action and call it day. You can makeup for that few ounces in weight with the scope, rings, stock, barrel, etc...

I stole this off Reddit from a Google search... Just to clear things up. It's a "might" issue, not a "it's definitely gonna". I'd assume if he's going to run a non-magnum short-action cartridge, he'd probably be just fine, but even if he did buy one on sale from Classic, call Aero, and check the S/N to see if it's one of the affected. If not, good to go. If so, they'll probably get him to shoot it over to them, and swap him out for a new one that's not affected and he won't be out any money, just a little time.

View attachment 8494780

That's comforting when you have 65,000 psi right next to your face and a failure means eating a bolt.

Reactions: Matt_3479

View attachment 8494803
That’s a sweet rifle.

Probably a question for Falkor/Proof, but does the LW7 take prefits? I know proof has prefits for the other actions in Falkor’s line-up but haven’t seen a definitive answer on if the tenons or whatever are the same

Reactions: ChrisAU
That’s a sweet rifle.

Probably a question for Falkor/Proof, but does the LW7 take prefits? I know proof has prefits for the other actions in Falkor’s line-up but haven’t seen a definitive answer on if the tenons or whatever are the same

Yes, Falkor told me all their thread tenons are the same. I ordered a 6CM Prefit from McGowen a few weeks ago.

Reactions: MurphyTX
I have a very similar list. I haven’t purchased anything because I can’t decide. Paralysis by analysis.
If you’re willing to give up Remington 700 footprint, other than barrel availability, don’t know why you wouldn’t. Get a custom Tikka action from Unknown Munitions. They do a weight reduction and coating.
Tikka prefits are available
Tikka is tried and true
Stock choice will dictate with mag you can use
Hard to beat the Tikka action feel. Really is awesome ESPECIALLY for the money.
Leaning this way myself.
Recoil lug isn’t integrated plus 2 lug not a 3 lug.