• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lightweight hunting scopes??

PewZ

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 19, 2023
Missouri
Looking for a lightweight scope for my lightweight AR build. Preferably 18oz or less. SFP with non capped elevation turret atleast. Illuminated reticle would be a plus if possible. Trying to stay 600 or less not sure if one even exists at this price point. So far I’ve found a viper pst at OP under 400 at around 18oz and I’m thinking a secondhand illum vx3 at around 15oz may be an option also. Any suggestions? I already have a ffp pst gen 2 but it’s a tank at 28oz and would negate all of the weight savings I’ve made on my build. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kran09
Don't waste your money on an older Viper PST...

It's a tad bit over your 18oz spec, but not very much (22.5 oz)... Also, the glass in these new Viper HD's is quite impressive for the price. I have the 5-25x50 FFP version, and it's pretty solid. The elevation turret is really nice. If 4.5 oz breaks a rifle build, then I'd say eat one less biscuit on the morning of a hunt or drink one less cup of coffee before you hit the woods. 😂

Also, if you think 28 oz for a scope is "a tank", you would hate to see what most of the 34mm tactical scopes weigh these days... The new Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 is 45.1 oz (nearly 3 lbs.)...

The Razor LH 2-10 if you can find one. The burris signature 2-10 comes in under 18oz also. The swfa superlight is super light. I want to say the weaver tactical 2-10x36 was 19 or 20oz. Trijicon makes a 3-9 accupoint with a mildot.

Don't waste your money on an older Viper PST...

It's a tad bit over your 18oz spec, but not very much (22.5 oz)... Also, the glass in these new Viper HD's is quite impressive for the price. I have the 5-25x50 FFP version, and it's pretty solid. The elevation turret is really nice. If 4.5 oz breaks a rifle build, then I'd say eat one less biscuit on the morning of a hunt or drink one less cup of coffee before you hit the woods. 😂

Also, if you think 28 oz for a scope is "a tank", you would hate to see what most of the 34mm tactical scopes weigh these days... The new Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 is 45.1 oz (nearly 3 lbs.)...
It’s a tank in reference to a lightweight build, why would I throw a 28oz scope on a lightweight build lol I have it on my ar10 that is already heavy as shit

Last edited: