• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lightweight TActial Bolt Action ....

Aborigine

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Germany
Hey there !

Yesterday i was wondering , why most popular sniper rifles are not constructed to be lightweight. With heavy recoiling calibres, it is understandable that one prefers a heavier over a lighter weapon. But given the fact that very much sniper - military rifles are chambered in .308 and that lots of them are operated with either a muzzlebreak or a suppressor, i do not understand what the weight is for ?

Also i thought that a heavy countoured barrel does not necessarily mean more accuracy i.e. , that one can also built a quite an accurate rifle with a thin barrel.

Do you have any ideas on that ? If i got something wrong, please correct me..... these are just some newbie thoughts...

Re: Lightweight TActial Bolt Action ....

Read up on barrel harmonics and accuracy.

Also accuracy can also be very subjective, you only need a 4 moa rifle at 100m for taking deer, but at 700 - 1000m the results would be unacceptable.

Always interested in lineal accuracy extrapolations,as geared towards barrel contours and "accuracy".

Mainly because such notions crack me up.

You don't have to have a heavy rifle to be accurate. I think that it comes down to personal preference. My GAP has a MCM A5 Edge stock and a Tubb contour fluted barrel which make it about 2-3 lbs. lighter than most of my friends rifles. One of my buddies has a heavy rifle because he likes a heavy rifle for shooting positional (bone to bone contact), but he admits that it sucks shooting offhand. If I was shooting a 300WM, I would want a heavier rifle, but for shooting competitions, I like a lighter rifle.

You said most sniper/ military rifles, so in regards to them, my GAP is heavier than the M24 I used back in the day. How light are you thinking of? Are you talking about hunting rifle light?

Well i would call 2.8 kilogramm without scope "light".
My Tikka weighs so much / few and it is an absolute accurate gun.(.5 or .3 shot groups are no exception with handloaded ammo9

I just wondered because i would suppose that especially in rural/ field expeditions , weight would be a very major factor because it limits what you can, or how far you can take in the field.

Military demands for durability under battlefield conditions and making the equipment Marine-proof result in overly stout pieces. Accuracy factors fall a tad further down the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Military demands for durability under battlefield conditions and making the equipment Marine-proof result in overly stout pieces. Accuracy factors fall a tad further down the line. </div></div>

not just Marine-proof. hilljacks and idiots from all over our great nation join every branch of the armed services.

rock.jpg