Linux Mint vs GRT

oldiephrt

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2020
I have just switched to Linux "mint" Virginia from windows 10. I have down loaded GRT in there Linux version. Can any of you Guru's point me to starting place for installing a non Linux store Distro? ( So far all I get is Making "Boot-able drive for "Mint") You Tube hasn't been helpful for the vid's I have tried. Thanks for any help.

Thank you, having trouble getting GRT running/installing from Download. I am not competent at computers, I was forced from Win 7 to 10 now 11 won't work on my old system. paid a geek to make the install of Linux as I couldn't get passed the verify portion myself.

Ah. While I get the general desire a lot of people have had lately to move off the Windows platform in light of the whole Recall / AI desktop screenshot thing... if you can't manage to install Linux Mint, one of the absolute easiest and most straightforward distros around, and had to have someone else install it for you... what makes you think you're ready to download random stuff of the interweb and install it on a Linux machine?

Add in that the software in question (GRT) is fairly niche, and was compiled for a version of Mint from several years back... and the original developer passed several years ago during COVID, and someone *else* was doing the Linux conversion.... and the situation gets quite a bit stickier, even for an experienced Linux user.

You'd be far better off, and far more likely, to hop on the Discord channel for GRT and ask for help there.

All that said, I haven't tinkered with GRT on Linux in a while, and I *do* have a Mint VM spun up around here somewhere... I'll give it a try and see if it even still works at all.

1717953577460.png

Hold "CTRL + ALT + T" to open the terminal, type and execute the commands.

First he has to find and unpack the tar ball...

Code:
cd Downloads/
tar xf GordonsReloadingTool-2021.2040-NIGHTLY-linux.tar.gz

Dear fuzzy lord... if there was ever a package that needs turned into a flatpak, this'd be one.

Last edited:
Okay... after running through the string of dependencies, yes, it does install and run. Much better than the last time (quite a while back) that I tried... where there was no help in the manual beyond "we don't actually develop for Linux, someone else told us it worked, sorry". At least this time knowing what dependencies need installed goes a long way to making it work.

A couple of those latter ones - gnome-themes-extra and libcurl4 - don't necessarily need the i386 target, so if they fail out saying not found/available, try again without the :i386 at the end.

The tarball in general is a mess... with everything having full 775 permissions. Ugh.

memilanuk, Thank you.
I really didn't think when I requested help I'd understand what I was told. I was hoping for and you provided a place to look for help. I will try your last suggestion along with Evintos's
Evintos,
I think I tried that correctly??? Thank you for your response.
This version of Linux is doing everything I want: E-mail, Browse/shop, and look at the Hide. Without messages saying you "WILL" update or suffer. So far, Linux hasn't changed where/ how private files are located.
I had used GRT in Win10 and got lucky to find a load which didn't blow me up.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Ubuntu definitely made Linux easier for the novice, and Mint even more so. I have Mint running on an old laptop and this thread has me motivated to download GRT and give it a try.

Reactions: Evintos
So... backing up a bit: the file as downloaded should be named 'GordonsReloadingTool-2021.2040-NIGHTLY-linux.tar.gz'. You may have used utilities such as pkzip, back in the day, on Windows. If you want to do it from the terminal aka command line, you can use the commands I listed earlier. Basically it'll uncompress and unpack the file into a folder of the same name. You can accomplish the same thing by selecting the file in the file explorer, and right-clicking for the contextual menu, and choosing 'Extract here'.

Personally, I'd rename the very long folder name to something like 'GRT'. Assuming you are more comfortable with the gui file explorer, it should work pretty much the way you expect from Windows. Go ahead and click in to the folder. It's probably worth your while to read the files `LINUX-INSTALL.TXT` and `MANUAL.TXT`. The latter will point you to the PDF user manual, located in the doku/ subdirectory.

The picture that @Evintos pasted earlier appears to be a screen shot from that manual. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't have a lot more than what was already posted. But once you've worked through those commands, you *should* be able to just double-click on the file `GordonsReloadingTool` and it *should* just run. If you are in the terminal, you can just type the filename, hit enter and it should just run. When I ran it from the CLI, it groused a little about something involving the current desktop theme (adwaita) vs. whatever it was originally built around. Still ran, so apparently not too much of a concern.

I have made much more progress thanks to you guys. I cleared downloads and started fresh from GRT. Extracted , renamed file and went with commands. Last two commands. give error. Unable to locate package gnome themes. Do I assume I do not have Gnome installed? Also, libcur not found. This is a blast. o_O:p

I have made much more progress thanks to you guys. I cleared downloads and started fresh from GRT. Extracted , renamed file and went with commands. Last two commands. give error. Unable to locate package gnome themes. Do I assume I do not have Gnome installed? Also, libcur not found. This is a blast. o_O:p
I run it using Ubuntu 22.04. Pages 16-17 of the english GRT manual show what additional software need to be installed (using apt-get install).

Try running to get the missing packages:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gnome-themes-extras:i386

@oldiephrt Okay, sounds like you're doing good. Remember where I mentioned that those last couple packages don't need the :i386 target? Try running the commands again, but without the ':i386' at the end, and see if that helps.

Also, if you don't want to mess with trying to type out some of the rather long (and error-prone) file and package names, the default Linux shell (known as 'bash', for historical reasons) has excellent tab auto-completion. In this case, try typing in enough of the command to disambiguate things, and hit <tab>. If there is only one possible completion, it'll automagically complete the name for you. If, there are more than one, hit <tab> again, and it'll print out the list of possibles to the terminal. From there, you can continue typing a few more characters to further narrow the choices, and hit <tab> again and it should autocomplete from there:

Screenshot_2024-06-10_15-03-28.png

Can you hear the Heavenly Choir😍🤣🥰?!!!! Dropping the :i386 worked and changing to the l instead of1in the last line works. ( the L looked like a 1 to me at first,second, and third try) Thank you .....REPEATEDLY........
Now if I can access my files from the windows file...

Reactions: FNG1001