• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LMT MWS problem

Bezoar

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2011
KS
I have an issue that I need help with. My new LMT will fire exactly 2 inchs low at 100 every 1 st round from a new mag. I have tried charging it from the bolt release as well as the charging handle with the same result. I am currently shooting FGMM 168s (which my gun really likes otherwise). Do I need to try another ammo? Call LMT?

Re: LMT MWS probelm

so if you load up 10 rounds, shoot all 10, grouping is fine but for the very first shot which is low 2"??? and you've repeated this issue more than say 5 times? and this is only happening with the FGMM 168's correct and no other ammo??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bezoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an issue that I need help with. My new LMT will fire exactly 2 inchs low at 100 every 1 st round from a new mag. I have tried charging it from the bolt release as well as the charging handle with the same result. I am currently shooting FGMM 168s (which my gun really likes otherwise). Do I need to try another ammo? Call LMT? </div></div>

I have not tried to single load rounds at this point. It also happens no matter how many rounds are in the mag... Same result.... And yes.... If i shoot 10 rounds, 1 is 2 inchs low and the other 9 are in an acceptable group. I have repeated this at least 15 times with the exact same result. All with FGMM.... No other ammo has been used.

that is strange,,,,, some questions for ya:

1.) are you using pmag?
2.) does your scope have side focus / parallax adjustment?

might want to rip the whole rifle apart including the buffer spring and take the barrel completely off... clean it from head to toe, and retorque the barrel with the supplied wrench pre-set torque setting.

if it is a completely new rifle, it might take about 200 rounds for the groups to settle down a bit... i've had a couple rifles like this when I first got them.

short of that, i would try some different ammo and if that doesn't help, then try hand loading singles and see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bezoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not tried to single load rounds at this point. It also happens no matter how many rounds are in the mag... Same result.... And yes.... If i shoot 10 rounds, 1 is 2 inchs low and the other 9 are in an acceptable group. I have repeated this at least 15 times with the exact same result. All with FGMM.... No other ammo has been used. </div></div>

also try taking the scope completely off, and re mount... make sure all screws are nice and tight and I personally like to put some blue loc tight on JUST the scope rings (not the mount to rifle).

Im using p mags and it happens with all 7 of them. Its a brand new rifle with exactly 140 rounda through it. Im using a PST 4-16 FFP on it. I dont really want to tear it apart but i guess i need to do it. Im going to shoot some TAP 168 tomorrow first, as well as single load FGMM 168 for the first round of each mag to aee what happens.

if you haven't taken the barrel off it is crazy easy and fast.. directions are in the box... there is nothing to it.... just give the bolt, buffer spring, barrel a good cleaning.... take the entire scope package off and re-mount it..... process of elimination.

next and final question, what scope mount are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bezoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im using p mags and it happens with all 7 of them. Its a brand new rifle with exactly 140 rounda through it. Im using a PST 4-16 FFP on it. I dont really want to tear it apart but i guess i need to do it. Im going to shoot some TAP 168 tomorrow first, as well as single load FGMM 168 for the first round of each mag to aee what happens. </div></div>

First round fliers are very common with the AR platform. Mostly due to shooter error. Due to the cycling of the action the rifle moves more than a bolt gun. I believe that this repositions the rifle after the first shot, resulting in a different recoil on the preceding shots. This is why flyers are more common with smi auto. This is something that I have been struggling with for a while. The big AR is a different animal! Spend some time behind it before you blame the rifle. Pay special attention to post shot reticle placement, if you do it right the reticle will barely move off the target after the shot.
I am not claiming to be an expert, and do not have an exact answer on how to accomplish this, but this has been my experience.
I have no prob with my bolt guns, (even a hard recoiling 338) but some times struggle with my AR. I have found that post recoil reticle position tells me if I did my job right. Also very important to watch the shot breaking.
IDK just my thought. Just shoot the hell out of it.?

very good points cansniper. couldnt say it better myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First round fliers are very common with the AR platform. Mostly due to shooter error. Due to the cycling of the action the rifle moves more than a bolt gun. I believe that this repositions the rifle after the first shot, resulting in a different recoil on the preceding shots. This is why flyers are more common with smi auto. This is something that I have been struggling with for a while. The big AR is a different animal! Spend some time behind it before you blame the rifle. Pay special attention to post shot reticle placement, if you do it right the reticle will barely move off the target after the shot.
I am not claiming to be an expert, and do not have an exact answer on how to accomplish this, but this has been my experience.
I have no prob with my bolt guns, (even a hard recoiling 338) but some times struggle with my AR. I have found that post recoil reticle position tells me if I did my job right. Also very important to watch the shot breaking.
IDK just my thought. Just shoot the hell out of it.? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First round fliers are very common with the AR platform. Mostly due to shooter error. Due to the cycling of the action the rifle moves more than a bolt gun. I believe that this repositions the rifle after the first shot, resulting in a different recoil on the preceding shots. This is why flyers are more common with smi auto. This is something that I have been struggling with for a while. The big AR is a different animal! Spend some time behind it before you blame the rifle. Pay special attention to post shot reticle placement, if you do it right the reticle will barely move off the target after the shot.
IDK just my thought. Just shoot the hell out of it.? </div></div>

Great reply thanks. I agree that i definately need more time behind the rifle... Its amazing how much different it is to shoot than my 5.56 rifles. I might not be managing the recoil very well after reading your post as my reticle is very low on the target after I take a shot. I am open to any pointers that you or anyone else may have.

I know this is kinda apples and oranges, but anyway.... When I first started shooting pistols and I first shot my brand new glock I seriously couldn't hit the side of a barn.... it was non-stop low and to the left. IT DROVE ME NUTS!! No matter what I did, it was low and to the left and at that point I came to the conclusion that it wasn't me and it was something wrong with the pistol. I had the place I purchased the glock from send it into glock to make sure the pistol was tip top or if it was just me. 2 months later my glock came back with a target and a huge 1" hole in the middle with a note saying there is nothing wrong with the pistol. At that point I realized that it was me and not the pistol. I practiced my stance, grip, and trigger pull and now I can shoot the day lights out of the bullseye target. Every once in a while at the pistol range I'll see someone new with a brand new pistol going thru the very same problem I went thru starting out... even had one guy saying the same thing to his buddy, "i'm taking this thing back, there is something wrong it with!!!!".... I walked over to the guy and explained to him my story and showed him the correct stance, grip, and trigger pull.... had him dry fire the pistol about 20 times to help tone down the expectation of the shot, then loaded in a full mag... right after that he was right on the bulls. He thanked me and I told him it really is about practice makes perfect when it comes to pistols. Not saying it isn't the rifle, but Cansniper does make a good point.

Why does everyone want to blame this on gun handling?
I have seen review after review on here with pics and every damn one of them shows at least a shot away from the rest.
Mine does it too. I even bought a 260 LMT barrel and changed it according to the torque specs. It throws a shot too. Not the same one every time but still throws one out. I am using PMags, several different brands of ammo, have lots of experience with the AR platform. No, I am not saying I know I am doing everything right either. But I think there is more to this issue.
And, to be clear, I am not throwing LMT under the bus. These are fine rifles. Well built kit. I am just starting to think they may have a quirk that needs to be figured out.

Bezoar, I think I would just start out with what I first posted while keeping cansniper thoughts in the back of your mind. Not saying it is you and not saying it is the rifle.... it is just something you need to figure out by process of elimination. I've seen posts on this with all brand name AR's..... One thing I know for a fact, my LMT shooting (if it is me or the LMT working out some quirks) gets better and better the more I shoot it in comparison to my first shots with it about 800 rounds ago....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does everyone want to blame this on gun handling?
I have seen review after review on here with pics and every damn one of them shows at least a shot away from the rest.
Mine does it too. I even bought a 260 LMT barrel and changed it according to the torque specs. It throws a shot too. Not the same one every time but still throws one out. I am using PMags, several different brands of ammo, have lots of experience with the AR platform. No, I am not saying I know I am doing everything right either. But I think there is more to this issue.
And, to be clear, I am not throwing LMT under the bus. These are fine rifles. Well built kit. I am just starting to think they may have a quirk that needs to be figured out. </div></div>

I have about 80K rounds thru SR-25's, maybe more. I see folks who claim that the gun will do it, but never ever been able to replicate it, even with their guns.

I've drop rounds on my first shot, I've seen guns that get hot and get shift issues, I've seen guns flat out not work. But I have not seen a gun do this that was not attributable to the shooter and the way he held the gun.

You can shoot a bolt gun, but you need to drive a gasser. The PMAG feed lip is thicker than the standard SR-25 mag, so the round sits a little differently in the magwell and the bolt runs into it in a slightly different position (minuscule difference). I suspect it was a geometry issue for a bit, and then tried KAC and PMAG-LR's back to back.

Honestly I think its either cold bore issue (less likely) or most likely a shooter position and hold issue.

Try loading 1 rd at a time and shooting a group that way.

I am amazed with the reply guys.. Thanks for taking your time. My last request is can someone offer me some advice on the proper way to hold and shoot the lmt .

Just a heads up.

I f you do decide to remove your barrel, check/excercise your tourque wrench before you tighten it back up.

I have read of three instances were people snapped the barrel retaining screws because the wrench did not release at 140 inch pounds or whatever the factory spec is.

There is no damage to the rifle if this occurs but I could just imagine the frustration would be crushing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bezoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am amazed with the reply guys.. Thanks for taking your time. My last request is can someone offer me some advice on the proper way to hold and shoot the lmt . </div></div>

Did not mean to sound like I was placing blame on your shooting skills. It just something that I have found in my own experience. As far as advice...if you find the answer I am all ears. I have become more consistent with time, and sometimes I shoot good sometimes not so good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bezoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am amazed with the reply guys.. Thanks for taking your time. My last request is can someone offer me some advice on the proper way to hold and shoot the lmt . </div></div>

Did not mean to sound like I was placing blame on your shooting skills. It just something that I have found in my own experience. As far as advice...if you find the answer I am all ears. I have become more consistent with time, and sometimes I shoot good sometimes not so good. </div></div>

No offense taken in any way as I greatly appreciate your candor. I didnt realize the LMT would be such a different experience to shoot compared to all of my 5.56 rifles.

I have a MWS and have about 1k rounds through it and I have been throwing "flyers" since day 1.

That said, I can say without a doubt that it is ME. I can now predict when my flyer is coming. For me to shoot a sub-2 inch group at 200 yards is attainable. But it requires a level of consistency that I am usually unable to maintain. I have shot 3 or 4 shot groups touching, and then I will shift my leg, or maybe my abdomen, sometimes I just barely adjust my cheek weld, and then comes the "flyer". Sometimes it is just the cumulative effects of the recoils of the rifle that causes me to shift, sometimes it's just my inability to not move (kinda like keeping the ol butcheeks from clenching in the middle of a good "extremely loud and incredibly close"). When I get a good setup and maintain, the gun shoots perfect. It took me several hundred rounds just to be able to self-detect my problem, but it is definitely there.

This might not be your problem but I thought I would share my personal observations.

Well guys, first I want to thank everyone for their input. I put 100 rounds down range today with promising results. I expreimented with several grip pressures, butt/ shoulder pressure, trigger squeeze and most important my position behind rhe rifle. I am now not dropping the first round which is a victory. My groups are a little right which i will correct with the scope. I must say, shooting the .308 gas gun is a very different experience compared to the 5.56 which is much more forgiving. The .308 definately uncovered any and all bad techniques that i might have. Im still not shooting on par with my 5.56 guns but im sure with practice ill get there.

Here is my last group.
2fdd70b1f2a5ed7ab24545c2afbdfaa4.jpg

That is one nice group! It is nice to hear that things are working itself out for ya. Just give it some time with some more practice and I'm sure you will be kicking some serious butt. You should work up a 30shot entry once you get comfortable:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3523625#Post3523625

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bezoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well guys, first I want to thank everyone for their input. I put 100 rounds down range today with promising results. I expreimented with several grip pressures, butt/ shoulder pressure, trigger squeeze and most important my position behind rhe rifle. I am now not dropping the first round which is a victory. My groups are a little right which i will correct with the scope. I must say, shooting the .308 gas gun is a very different experience compared to the 5.56 which is much more forgiving. The .308 definately uncovered any and all bad techniques that i might have. Im still not shooting on par with my 5.56 guns but im sure with practice ill get there.
</div></div>

Thanks. i think im going to upgrade from my wobbly Harris to an Atlas bipod. My gouup changed when i tightened it up but it still doesnt fit as tight as it should

I am having the same problem as well with my Harris bipod. The big tightening screw always comes loose after shooting about 40-80 rounds. I even used loctite and it still comes undone. I have a bobro mount for my scope and it's rock solid. I'm thinking about buying the bobro bipod for a early xmas gift.