• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Long Range Hunting Scope (March)

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm setting up my 300WM for some long range hunting.
I've got a custom GAP gun with a new March 3-24x42 Tactical scope on it now.
I'm finding the March is very parallax intensive being such a compact scope with so big of a power range. I'm going after grizzly bear in a few months and I'm starting to question if the March is the best scope for the job. Granted the glass is top notch, but you have one extra step (adjust parallax) than say a NF 2.5-10.

The NF you don't have to worry about adjusting for the parallax.
What do you guys think? Dump the March and go with a NF 2.5-10?

If I go with a velocity Medium velocity reticule my calculations show it to only be off 3" or so at 600yrds. I guess that's an acceptable amount of error?

We will be spotting and stalking for long distances 90% of the time on this hunt so 400yrd shots are common (if capable).

Re: Long Range Hunting Scope (March)

10X is plenty for shooting a bear to 600 yards, no way I'd have a 3-24 power scope for a bear hunt.

Remember, 90% is stalking for long distances, but I'd want a scope that goes lower than 3X for that other 10% of the time....aka...in the bushes.

I'd be thinking something in the range of Leupold 1-8 or Swaro Z6 1.7-10.

I typically run the NF 2.5-10x32's on most of my hunting rigs and have not found anything it can't do out to 600+ with 10x ...

The 2.5x works well in the timber and its compact as well...

YMMV...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm setting up my 300WM for some long range hunting.
I'm finding the March is very parallax intensive being such a compact scope with so big of a power range. I'm going after grizzly bear in a few months and I'm starting to question if the March is the best scope for the job. Granted the glass is top notch, but you have one extra step (adjust parallax) than say a NF 2.5-10.

The NF you don't have to worry about adjusting for the parallax.
What do you guys think? Dump the March and go with a NF 2.5-10?

If I go with a velocity Medium velocity reticule my calculations show it to only be off 3" or so at 600yrds. I guess that's an acceptable amount of error?

We will be spotting and stalking for long distances 90% of the time on this hunt so 400yrd shots are common (if capable). </div></div>

I really don't care what scope you use, what I want to know is who is the brave outfitter that going to let you take LR (400 yds +) pot shots at grizz. And if you happen to tank the shot, is he going into the bush to track the wounded one down for you??

Used to be 250 yds was considered max range for grizz...Nothing wrong with LR hunting, but LR hunting of shit that can bite back, is usually a no-no, as adventures like that can go south in a heart beat....But I admire your chutzpah

Intrigued,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep in mind your BDC only works @ 10x with the Nightforce </div></div>

I use the NP-1 reticle on the 338RCM and the 300RCM so I dial most long shots...

The 308's have the LV reticle and yes I am aware of the calibration...

In timber @ 2.5x most shots are 150 or closer so I'm golden...

Let me get this right... You are worried about taking a few seconds for adjusting the parallax on a scope before you take a 600 yard shot on a very large, toothy, animal? How about the parallax error that is going to be inherent on the the non-adjustable scope? Just trying to get my head around this one...

Why can't you dial down the magnification on the March to 10X or lower? Most parallax adjustable scopes are less parallax sensitive at lower powers.

Also, many fixed parallax scopes fix their parallax at 100. You can do the same for the March. Explain to me why you can't tune the March to simulate a lower powered fix parallax scope?

Have you shot any bears out at that distance?

Wounded bears do two things, head for the alders, or head for the source of their discomfort. Man, I would definitely go with something more along the lines of 3x9x40 (or less) and keep my shots within 250yds.

A bear at 20yds will be tough to hit at 10X, and that will likely be the last shot you get if your plan goes to shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm setting up my 300WM for some long range hunting.
I'm finding the March is very parallax intensive
one extra step (adjust parallax) than say a NF 2.5-10.
The NF you don't have to worry about adjusting for the parallax. </div></div>

Think what your trying to say is the Nightforce has a greater depth of view.
Regardless, you should be using both of them focussed at intended range to avoid pa error.

As some one said above, drop the mag on the far superior March, the depth of field and view will be greater.
With the higher mag you do have the option to use it, should the need arise plus already setup.
Lastly March is near on same weight, just try it on low mag 3x and get a feel for it.
Awesome scopes

Been guiding in Alaska for the last 11 years,have be on 60 plus
Brown bear and grizzly kills.PGS,Pat on the hide has seen some of the bears i 've guided hunter's to.The further shot has been 382yds.This was a spring hunt,bear was on a snow feild and no brush/alders were near.This is not the norm.Being you are doing a fall hunt,you most likely will be hunting griz on rivers/streams on fish.Most shots are under 100yds .A big bear can take alot of hits,there heart rate is rather slow.Even taking out both lungs,heart they can cover alot of ground.The closet bear was 11yds took 5 rounds of 375 H&H to put him down.
Yes you could shoot 400yds at a bear if he is on berrys in the wide open on the side of a hill.But if there is puckerbrush around that is were is is heading if you don't stop him.What now means your guide has to go in after him...Not fun,been there done that.Closer the better,enjoy and be safe...waggs

I guided in AK for years.
Guided severals grizzly hunts so I know about tracking wounded bears. I've done it many times.
The area we are going it wide open tundra hills. I really don't want to get into a debate about taking long shots on bears as I know all to well what happens if you don't make a good hit on a bear. It's something only the person behind the gun can decide if he's put in the time and practice to make or not make the shot and to decide if the conditions are right to attempt it or not.
My questions is just about scopes. I wasn't aware the March was so Parallax intensive of a scope. It's basically the same size as a NF 2.5-10.
I know you don't need more than a 10 for any hunt, but my thoughts were if the technology was there to make a scope that was almost the same size as the NF 2.5-10, the extra power would be great to have not to mention the great reticule the March has.

I just wasn't ready when I mounted the March to have to adjust the parallax that much when just going from 100 yards to 200 yards.

The NF parallax or lack of was tested out to 700 yards per NF in the worst conditions (per NF) and the amount of error is very little.

I’ll know more after a season of hunting with mine, but mostly I think it really depends on the country you’ll be in. If it’s rather open country I think you’ll be fine. The question is being ready in the thick stuff if one jumps out close.

For this, the March’s ability to focus down to two feet or whatever, which would be nice for a rimfire or airgun, actually turns into something of a liability for hunting use. With most scopes that only go down to ~50M, when the scope is set to the lower powers it doesn’t really matter where the parallax knob is. You have a clear view and you can point and shoot like any other scope.

The March also works like that if the knob is kept near the 100-infinity range. The problem is if it somehow gets turned all the way down to 10M, it’s enough to screw up your view even on 3X. So if something stepped out at 50 or 100 yds you may be greeted with a blurry view.

The parallax knob on mine turns a bit more easily than I’d like, but I don’t yet know if it’ll be a problem with it turning on its own while hunting. Like I said, ask me after next season. However, the only up close animals I’ll be hunting with it this season are whitetails, so if it doesn’t work they’re not likely to bite me.

I could understand wanting to simplify things for a grizz hunt even if you enjoy playing with the March the rest of the time. The 2.5-10 NF would certainly work. Another I’d list as “stupid simple” with no parallax issues is the SS 3-9; the new reticle on that thing jumps out at you and would be outstanding for hunting close stuff, and the scope can reach out there as far as you’d like pretty easily as well.

Of course since you already have the March on your rifle you may try experimenting with it a bit more. If you set the parallax for 200 yds or so and leave it, that won’t work all the way up to 24X for all ranges but should work well to over 10X at most ranges. You could always tape it up right there just for this hunt and use the reticle if you got a long shot.

Again, that's only if there's a chance of bumping into one up close. For pure open country I'd just use it.