Long Range Optic-opinions/suggestions

pewpew300WM

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2019
West Central PA
I’m currently planning on a 30 Sherman Mag build within the next few months. I’ve narrowed down my options to a few optics. I’m torn between models and reticles at this time. So far I’ve looked at the tangent theta, valdata recon g2, Valdada IOR Crusader, kahles 525, ZCO, ATACR 7-35, mk5 7-35, S&B, Steiner t5x, US Optics fdn25, and a few March models. I’m hoping to stay around or below the $3500 mark. I did look at a few above the price but can’t bring myself to justify the extra money. What’s everyone running or recommend?

Of those, TT, ZCO, or ATACR 7-35 if you need the extra mag.

I have an XTR3 SCR2 mil for FFP and a Trijicon 5-50 MRAD for SFP as my "better" scopes. I'm a hobby / fair weather shooter, so I'm not shooting in conditions where these aren't enough scope. I'd still like to try a ZCO for comparison, with the understanding that it's completely unnecessary for me.

Reactions: pewpew300WM
I have been tossing this around to replace the 30mm tube scope on my 6.5, I will put it on the 300wm which will shoot high BC slugs flatter towards a mile, I'm thinking March 5-42×56 myself. Wider mag range than most good glass and the review against the S&B suggested better resolution at higher magnification.

Reactions: pewpew300WM
I would go ZCO due to the combination of optical excellence and dialable elevation. If you truly want to save a couple hundred bucks with the NF ATACR 7-35, though, you won’t be too much worse off. The new March 5-42 is a solid option as well but you’ll rarely benefit from the extra magnification, and with 30SM you go transonic before you need the elevation from one of the Genesis models.

As an aside, I (and most people on the forum) recommend against anything Valdada in the strongest of terms. They are way overpriced for the actual quality and performance, and their advertising practices are super sketchy.

I would go ZCO due to the combination of optical excellence and dialable elevation. If you truly want to save a couple hundred bucks with the NF ATACR 7-35, though, you won’t be too much worse off. The new March 5-42 is a solid option as well but you’ll rarely benefit from the extra magnification, and with 30SM you go transonic before you need the elevation from one of the Genesis models.

As an aside, I (and most people on the forum) recommend against anything Valdada in the strongest of terms. They are way overpriced for the actual quality and performance, and their advertising practices are super sketchy.
Not being one of the "most people on the forum," I am quite pleased with my Valdada Recon Gen 2 and my older IOR Valdada Spyder. I must admit I have never seen their "sketchy" advertising practices.

Hi,

ZCO....
Not only do you get all the optics benefits but you get direct access to the company via snipers hide with not only the owner but managers too.
@gebhardt02
@[email protected]

And if you just want to talk minute details, pros, cons, features, utilization, etc...then ping @Dthomas3523
1611762937172.png

Sincerely,
Theis

I watched so many reviews and they all were generally against Valdada optics. I’ll definitely eliminate that one from the list.

Reactions: VargmatII
Hi,

ZCO....
Not only do you get all the optics benefits but you get direct access to the company via snipers hide with not only the owner but managers too.
@gebhardt02
@[email protected]

And if you just want to talk minute details, pros, cons, features, utilization, etc...then ping @Dthomas3523
View attachment 7539297

Sincerely,
Theis
I second this...best customer service I've experienced. Top notch glass combined with top notch features. My next rifle will have one as well. I used to run NF exclusively, but switched and haven't looked back.

Don't get you heart set a 1 scope go to the range or wherever you shoot and look though as many scopes as you can. For my eye S&B look the best with Kahlas then Vortex also good. I don't like NF glass even though the are very good scopes just not to my eyes. Get what looks best to you not what other people say they like. Good luck!!