• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Looking for a good single stage press for .308

remi308

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Roseville, Ca
I have narrowed it down to Redding Big Boss II or The good old Rock Chucker. Anyone have experiences with both? Also might go with a RCBS turret. Talking strictly sizer dies which is better for FL 308 RCBS or Redding, Forster?

Re: Looking for a good single stage press for .308

I have had my Rock Chucker for over a decade and a half and I would not trade it. It is a good solid straight press and has served me reliably for the last fifteen or so years. RCBS has stood behind their product time and time again.

I've been using my rockchucker for over 20 years, and still use it. I have little experience with Redding, but I know they make a quality product.

Rock Chucker does seem pretty darn nice. I like that the linkage is much thicker than others. I spoke with RCBS and they are made in USA despite other claims, actually get the steel from a company close to Sacramento where I live. Anyone ever do a concentric measure from one die company to another?

RCBS is good stuff, I really love the Rock Chucker. Sold off all of my RCBS stuff when I got outta Reloading. Now that I'm back at it I got the Hornady Lock n Load Classic kit. I put The lnl SS equal with the rock chucker I owned. Its even better with the Lock n load bushings. Make die changes a snap.

Scott

My Rock chucker is 30+ years old. It has served 5 different owners great over that time. RCBS has great customer service. I recently broke a piece of my priming arm for the press. RCBS PROMPTLY sent a complete new primer system.

Hard to believe they can make money on these things when they are garuanteed forever, regardless of owner.

My RC II is okay but it really perfoms no better than any other single stage press for .308 or anything else. ??

IF I had to replace my old press tomorrow it would be with a Lee Classic Cast, it's the better press from any perspective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster Co-Ax all the way, more mechanical advantage v any other press. </div></div>

I agree, just sold my Lee because I purchased the Co-Ax and can't believe I went that long using the Lee.

The Co-Ax is so well designed and easy to use.

Lee Breech loc press and be done with it.Cheaper than the RC press with QC kit and Lee lifetime service.Lee recently added locking Breech adapters to their lineup,so no need for the std locknut anymore either.My RC and Lyman presses are dust collecting backups.

One of my shooting buddies has the Rock Chucker, and while I think it is a good press and he really likes it, I am going to give the nod to the Big Boss II. I have been using this press almost exclusively for the last 3 years. It is smooth, has more than adequate leverage and loads some pretty darn accurate ammo. I say go with the Redding.

+ 1 for the Rock Chucker. hard to beat RCBS!
have 2 Rock Chuckers.......ones 15yrs. old the others 8yrs.
never had the first prob.

RCBS.....all the way, for the $

But, I do like Redding....cost a little more!

LOBO 151

For the cash, its hard to go wrong with a Rock Chucker. If you've got the cash and want to dive in head-first, get a Forster Co-Ax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the cash, its hard to go wrong with a Rock Chucker. If you've got the cash and want to dive in head-first, get a Forster Co-Ax. </div></div>

These are my thoughts exactly. I have the Forster CoAx. It is the shizz.

Josh

Money is not a hindrance for a press. Buy once cry once I guess..ha. You guys think that the forster is more accurate of a press? Do you pinch fingers loading bullets?

How do you guys with the Forster Co-Ax get an accurate and repeatable amout of shoulder bump? There's so much play in the Co-Ax press, between the universal-type shellholder and the cut die slot, that I can't do accurate case prep work with it.

The same is true of turret presses: I have a Harrells, which is a very nice press, but even tightened down there's probably five thou of play in the turret.

Get a Rock Chucker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you guys with the Forster Co-Ax get an accurate and repeatable amout of shoulder bump? There's so much play in the Co-Ax press, between the universal-type shellholder and the cut die slot, that I can't do accurate case prep work with it.
</div></div>

The case still sits on the bottom of the shell holder just like any other press. Also, I cannot move the die up or down any amount when it is in the press. Even if you could, the cam over presses the die against the top of the slot the same every time so it is a non issue. The floating shell holder only allows lateral movement and not vertical deviation. I get consistent bumps every time I use it.

Josh

I use the Hornady L-N-L single stage press but I think if I were to buy again I'd get the Forster Co-Ax. With that said, the L-N-L is a good press and the bushing system works great for me. I've heard a lot of good things about the Rock chucker as well, but I've never used one.

My vote is for the Big Boss II, I have one and I love it, plenty of leverage, and enough small group loads to make any person happy. The spent primer disposal system is excellent as well.

Nothing against Lee (I use quite a few of their dies) but watch out for the 'O' type press they have (cast aluminum or something). That's what I started with and it didn't last too long, even though I was mostly doing pistol ammo. Never tried their cast iron press, it might be good.

I've got a Forster Co-Ax and a Hornady L-N-L Progressive with the case feeder. To be honest I rarely use the coax, but it is very fast to change dies and it does work extremely well. I have never been dissappointed with the accuracy or runout from either one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you guys with the Forster Co-Ax get an accurate and repeatable amout of shoulder bump? There's so much play in the Co-Ax press, between the universal-type shellholder and the cut die slot, that I can't do accurate case prep work with it.
</div></div>

No play in mine.

Thanks for all the input everyone, drum roll please.....and the decision was Forster Co-Ax and two sets of Forster dies to go along with it. Couldn't pass it up, midway had them in stock and if I spent 300.00 I got 30.00 off. Talked with Rod at Forster who was extremely friendly and helpful making me unafraid of diving into the Forster world. Anyone who owns one care to give me any tips?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anyone who owns one care to give me any tips? </div></div>

Honestly, it is a really easy press to use. Just follow the instructions when it comes to setting up the pin that opens the shell holder jaws and the maintenance they say to perform on it and you will be good to go. It's pretty damn fool proof.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who owns one care to give me any tips? </div></div>

Buy a bench mounted or hand held priming device, as the CO-AX's priming system sucks. With that said, all of my F-tr ammo is loaded on a CO-AX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who owns one care to give me any tips? </div></div>

Buy a bench mounted or hand held priming device, as the CO-AX's priming system sucks. With that said, all of my F-tr ammo is loaded on a CO-AX. </div></div>

Really? Sucks as in slow? or what? I heard that is was actually a very precise priming system. That was one of the selling points to me..haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remi308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who owns one care to give me any tips? </div></div>

Buy a bench mounted or hand held priming device, as the CO-AX's priming system sucks. With that said, all of my F-tr ammo is loaded on a CO-AX. </div></div>

Really? Sucks as in slow? or what? I heard that is was actually a very precise priming system. That was one of the selling points to me..haha </div></div>

The priming system works fine for me, but I don't do any high-volume loading.
If you're going to switch calibers a lot it's a PITA to change the shell holders every time, but it only takes a couple of minutes after you do it once or twice.
If you're setting up for .308 loading only give it a try.

+100 for the Lee Classic Cast press. It's a real piece of machinery with options not found on the more expensive green machines. I had a old cast aluminum O-style press when I first started and it worked to get my feet wet but the newer "Classic Cast" models are a totaly different press. Real Iron, Real Adjustable and no cam over BS to pull up with. Just positive stops. Use the money you save for a better dispenser or a priming tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Lately</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forster Co-Ax all the way, more mechanical advantage v any other press. </div></div>

I agree, just sold my Lee because I purchased the Co-Ax and can't believe I went that long using the Lee.

The Co-Ax is so well designed and easy to use. </div></div>

Yep... What these guys said.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randfal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+100 for the Lee Classic Cast press. It's a real piece of machinery with options not found on the more expensive green machines. I had a old cast aluminum O-style press when I first started and it worked to get my feet wet but the newer "Classic Cast" models are a totaly different press. Real Iron, Real Adjustable and no cam over BS to pull up with. Just positive stops. Use the money you save for a better dispenser or a priming tool. </div></div>

+1 On the Lee Classic Cast press.
Truly a different animal than the other Lee presses.
Suits my needs better than anything else out there...

"Another vote for the Rock Chucker. Have had no problems at all."

Not to pick on any one guy but for all those who repeat this I wonder just what kind of 'problems' you think anyone using a different cast iron press might have?

I've been doing this stuff for decades and got over thinking any brand has a lock on perfomance a long time ago. My old RC II is a servicable press (but I quit de and re-priming on it alsmost as soon as I set it up in '87) but it's not the only press I have. Nor are what I have all I've ever used and I'm yet to find a press that is not fully capabable of very high quality work if used correctly, including Lee's Challanger. No press will magically make a poor reloader assemble quality stuff!

The CoAx has some fine qualities and I'm glad it's available for those who want one but I don't care for it's ergonomics and I never found conventional screw-in dies to be much of a difficulty to overcome. It's extra high leverage means nothing to me even tho I have a bad rotator cuff right shoulder; I mean, how much leverage does a guy really need to size a lubed case?

Brand hype and personal preferences aside, Lee's Classic Cast press is the best of it's general type available, at any price, and I DON'T have one of those. But I would, IF I had to start over tomorrow! And I would NOT buy another RC unless I could get it for maybe half the cost of a Classic Cast.

Get my Forster CO-AX tomorrow....Waiting for UPS sucks! Plans are really just to load .308 and 300 win for my bolt guns and some accurate 77gr for 223. I don't care if it's slow, I really enjoy reloading and don't mind the meticulous stuff. So far the I have the Forster press Forster dies, Redding 3BR powder measure, Hornady case trimmer and the new hornady bench scale...Not as good as my old chargemaster btw..pass on this one. Lyman case prep center is great and some ultrasonic cleaners.