• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Looking for an alternate to a nightforce

Everybody going to say S&B, Vortex Razor Gen2 or Kahles. Browse through the threads and should find tons of opinion ... the general consensus will be "can't go wrong no matter what you choose"

S&B is more expensive. I want to keep it in the nightforce price point and quality.

And of course you can go wrong, there are lots of bad scopes out there
You might want to check Mile High. There are a couple of models of S&B 5-25x56 $1100 dollars off of list. I ordered one yesterday from Eurooptics on a price match for $2695. Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 L/P GEN 2XR MRAD CCW. Only $200 more than a Vortex Razor and $300 less than a Nightforce F1 ATCAR. Ray

NF ATACR F1 5-25x $2,800 vs.

1. Vortex Gen 2 Razor if you want the same, but cheaper $2,200
2. Minox ZP5 if you want the same price, but better glass $2,900
3. Kahles 624i if you want comparable glass, but lighter and smaller $2,850
4. Vortex AMG if you want comparable glass, but lighter and smaller, $500 cheaper $2,500

The Razor Gen2 4.5-27x is the closest competitor with the same general feature set. Can't go wrong as $2200 is what they're running these days from Hide vendors. I think it's a great scope for the $ personally. Tried and true... approaching old warhorse status. Most popular PRS scope- top 50

Closer to $3,000 you have the Minox ZP5 which is considered by many people to be the best glass under $4k. Very popular choice right now/flavor of the month.

The Kahles 624i is lightweight and good glass and popular reticle, but again, closer to the $3,000 mark. 2nd most popular in PRS top 50

The Vortex AMG is good as well if you can get one. It's closely comparable to the 624i in many ways; around $2,500.

Basically, what is important to you? Reticle, warranty, glass clarity/resolution, turrets, etc.

At this price point...

If it doesn't track, send it back.

Although they're great at their price points, I think the Bushnells and XTRii are both going to disappoint you if you want something comparable to the NF ATACR F1.

Can I ask, why not going with the NF? Turned off my them some how or just wanting to try something different? The dudes I shoot with use razor gen 2. I personally thought the glass in my atacr f1 was sharper/brighter but with that being said, if the wait time at the time I was purchasing wasnt so long, I would of tried the amg

S&B is more expensive. I want to keep it in the nightforce price point and quality.

And of course you can go wrong, there are lots of bad scopes out there

You can pick up 5-25 S&B's brand new for a good bit less than the MAP of the ATACR F1. I know Euro Optic and Mile High still has some in several variations and I think Liberty Optic had some too.

You can pick up 5-25 S&B's brand new for a good bit less than the MAP of the ATACR F1. I know Euro Optic and Mile High still has some in several variations and I think Liberty Optic had some too.

^This.^
The S&B 5-25s can be had for less than $3000 now if you pay attention and shop a little. I got mine for $2700. Other than that, you're looking at Kahles, Minox, Vortex, since you have a hard on against US Optics.

Of course we don't know why you wish something other than Nightforce ATACR so all responses are, in part, based on guesses about what you don't like but I'd say that the closest if you don't mind a bit of extra beef to it is the Razor II. Glass is very close ( I call it NF but some may well disagree) and turrets are a wash and reticle is better. The S+B PMii Glass is better but in most other areas the venerable S+B needs a revamp which leaves the Khales 624i - excellent glass, very good turrets, excellent reticle choices and in a (relatively) light package.

I own all the scopes mentioned in the above paragraph, have one left to buy and quite honestly and don't know what my next one will be.

The Vortex Razor G2, Vortex AMG, Khales, Steiner.

As for proven ruggedness, you won't beat a NF though.

If you can, use the LEO/Mil discount with NF, Vortex or a dealer.

Not sure why the OP is excluding NF. I'm not partial to Nightforce myself, mostly because of their poor FOV for most of their scopes and there prices seem to be higher than others in the class. I would second Pineoak's recommendations; however, the OP has not identified what the scope's intended use is for, that might help us with our recommendations as well. If you must have a 5-25 then I'd highly recommend the Minox ZP5 5-25, these scopes can be had for well under $2900 from the Hide vendors.

I own both nightforce f1's. Both are nice, but i feel they're overpriced. Mostly because the competition offers a few more features. I dont own the vortex gen 2 yet, but i think the knobs are nicer than the Atacr f1's. The vortex has a nice zeroing feature, locking turrets, and a rev counter for a good bit less money. If you can put up with the weight, seems like an easy choice.

I shoot both the Khales 624i and the ATACR. They are both great. The best thing for you is to get behind some of these scopes and decide for yourself. I've been behind most of the ones mentioned (just not the Athlon) and the choice is probably going to be both difficult and personal.

Everything I would have suggested has already been mentioned multiple times. Maybe I missed the reasoning in a previous thread but if you want something comparable to a NF in both quality and price, why not just buy a NF? Just wondering. Not that you need to explain your reasons to the interwebz.

I've had a Razor G2, for the price, very hard to beat. I have Minox ZP5, best glass I have ever looked through. But, at $500 to $800 more, the Razor looks pretty good cost wise. I have not looked through a S&B, but at the prices that others have mentioned, I would be very tempted.

OP does stated intended use. Is it going on an every day rifle or a safe queen? Is the OP a regular competitor and what is the calibre and the discipline? Match the end product to the user requirement.

Also, with the NF price rise, March is now cheaper. Throw in that product placement for free along with everyone else.

A safe queen comes out to show off to friends - it has the latest, greatest scope on it. it impresses friends and makes the owner a better person with its company. When the market changes fashion so does the safe queen's scope.

Every day rifle is shot and shot for years with the same scope. it becomes an extension of the shooter. Think of how the guitar is played in "Summer of 69".

Maybe it's just me, but I have no "safe queens". My DTA sports a Minox ZP5 w/MR4 reticle. Superior glass, very generous and forgiving eyebox, very good turrets though they're 13 mil per turn (14? 15? I don't remember since the first rev gets me out to 1400 yards) so the spacing between clicks is very tight. Razor G2 would be my suggestion, since it's a very feature rich scope that can be had for about $300 less than what I paid for my Minox, but I'd definitely look at the Minox before jumping into a Kahles. Not that there's anything wrong with the Kahles, just that the Kahles and Minox are in that price point just above the G2

S&B 5-25 P4F is currently $2298 at Optics Planet (coupon code RKET4). That would make this an easy decision for me.

Was curious and looked it up. Wow that's cheap but for anyone else looking, it's 1/4 MOA click version if that matters, especially when it's only +$400 for mil/mil.

I stand by my original reply #1 that everyone will say all the usual suspects, but I did forget to mention Minox and AMG!

NF ATACR F1 5-25x $2,800 vs.

1. Vortex Gen 2 Razor if you want the same, but cheaper $2,200
2. Minox ZP5 if you want the same price, but better glass $2,900
3. Kahles 624i if you want comparable glass, but lighter and smaller $2,850
4. Vortex AMG if you want comparable glass, but lighter and smaller, $500 cheaper $2,500

The Razor Gen2 4.5-27x is the closest competitor with the same general feature set. Can't go wrong as $2200 is what they're running these days from Hide vendors. I think it's a great scope for the $ personally. Tried and true... approaching old warhorse status. Most popular PRS scope- top 50

Closer to $3,000 you have the Minox ZP5 which is considered by many people to be the best glass under $4k. Very popular choice right now/flavor of the month.

The Kahles 624i is lightweight and good glass and popular reticle, but again, closer to the $3,000 mark. 2nd most popular in PRS top 50

The Vortex AMG is good as well if you can get one. It's closely comparable to the 624i in many ways; around $2,500.

Basically, what is important to you? Reticle, warranty, glass clarity/resolution, turrets, etc.

At this price point...

If it doesn't track, send it back.

Although they're great at their price points, I think the Bushnells and XTRii are both going to disappoint you if you want something comparable to the NF ATACR F1.

This post sums it up pretty well.. S.I.T. give us a call if you need anymore detailed questions answered on the above scopes at 916.670.1103

Was curious and looked it up. Wow that's cheap but for anyone else looking, it's 1/4 MOA click version if that matters, especially when it's only +$400 for mil/mil.

I stand by my original reply #1 that everyone will say all the usual suspects, but I did forget to mention Minox and AMG!

I see the cm version at this price. Not sure what you are looking at. Ignore the text in that paragraph that describes the scope. It is the same text for all of the 5-25s.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/schmidt...flescopes.html?_iv_code=BD-RS-56LP-677-P4F-CM

Given that the AMG is $300 more than the Razor2 or the S&B... get either the Razor2 or S&B unless you need the weight savings. That's an amazing price on the S&B... which shows you how competitive the market is now.

But if you can get a ZP5 for $2,700... consider that route as well.

The S&B deals these days do look like pretty good deals for top quality products. For me though, knowing what I know now I choose the Kahles with one the hold over reticle you like best SKMR3, AMR, Etc...). Light, durable, lots of tracking, inovativ​​​​e features, amazing glass (subjective). Call Mike over at CSTactical and I'm sure he will get you into one for a price you can live with. CS usually has a nice stock of Kahles.

I have ATACR, NXS, AMG,624i and have shot behind a ZP5. 624i is still my favorite with the best eye box in the business imo. The Razors Gen I or II are just made of lead. If they were not so heavy I might be able to get behind them. The AMG's are still heavy with limited tracking for distance and a very tight eye box when magnified. My $.02

The S&B deals these days do look like pretty good deals for top quality products. For me though, knowing what I know now I choose the Kahles with one the hold over reticle you like best SKMR3, AMR, Etc...). Light, durable, lots of tracking, inovativ​​​​e features, amazing glass (subjective). Call Mike over at CSTactical and I'm sure he will get you into one for a price you can live with. CS usually has a nice stock of Kahles.

I have ATACR, NXS, AMG,624i and have shot behind a ZP5. 624i is still my favorite with the best eye box in the business imo. The Razors Gen I or II are just made of lead. If they were not so heavy I might be able to get behind them. The AMG's are still heavy with limited tracking for distance and a very tight eye box when magnified. My $.02

How can you say the AMG is heavy, when it's technically the lightest scope you mentioned you own?

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I had the same dilemma and ended up with the Kahles 624i. I have a Nightforce NXS and I genuinely think the Kahles is a better option. Haven't taken it off the rifle to beat someone with it so can't say on durability however...