• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Looking for info on Norris Lake, TN

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
We had a SNAFU and out annual family vacation to MI is a nogo. My wife and step-mother have booked us a cabin at Norris Lake, TN for the third week of July. I did a bit of research on the fishing but was hoping for some first hand info if we have any members from the area.

We'll probably book a guided trip one day if the stripers are to be had that time of year. We'll also be taking kayaks and I plan to do some fishing out of mine. Any info on what species would be worth pursuing that time of year and which techniques should work best would be greatly appreciated.

Also info on other activities/places to visit in the area would be great as well.

TIA

Re: Looking for info on Norris Lake, TN

Phylodog,
Norris Lake is a beautiful place to spend a few days. My in-laws live in Norris, so the wife and I spend a lot of time up there.

As for fishing, I know little about fishing the lake; however, if trout are to your liking, the Clinch River offers a multitude of holes. This time of year, I have a lot of luck with midges right after the sun is up; however, the best strategy is to watch what types of critters are lighting on the water when you get there. If you do not like fly fishing, I have also had a lot of luck in the river with Mepps #1 Gold spinners.

While you are in Norris, take the time to head to the Oak Ridge Sportsmen’s’ Association http://orsaonline.org/ . You’ll be glad you did.

If you want a decent country cooked meal, check out Golden Girls restaurant on the opposite side of the interstate from Norris. Try the pork tenderloin biscuit.

Of course, if you are willing to drive for an hour, The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Norris.

Take care,
Malcolm

I can only agree with everything Malcolm said. The water is some of the coldest lake water in the state. In some places the water of Norris Lake is VERY deep.

Below the dam on the Clinch River is where the smaller fish like trout abound. I was there last weekend. And twice last month. There are a few guide services in the Norris / Andersonville area. I'm sure they can put you on some decent fishing.

And the Golden Girls is one of the best SMALL places to grab a bite. I've been there several times.

Good luck on your trip. Keep us informed on how it turns out for you.

Tennessee is a suppressor friendly fishing state.
grin.gif