Looking for options Long Range 22LR

Icenberg

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2024
Ontario
Background: I use to do 1000 Meters with my old Tikka T3X Tac A1 6.5 creedmore with 30MOA rings and Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50, but unfortunately had to sell it during covid and i plan on doing a custom build with a T3X in the future instead of buying the same gun again, but for now i want to scratch that accuracy itch and my love for bolt actions while spending a lot less money on gun and ammo and still having fun.

I have a Ruger 10/22 carbine but i wanted to get more accuracy for doing 50-300 Meters shooting.

I don't plan on NRL22 or PRS right now so that's not an issue.

What i have chosen so far, these are Canadian prices.

Vortex Venom 3-15x44 FFP MRAD ($649)
20-30MOA Rail ($75)
34mm Rings - ($100-200)
Harris Bipod - Owned Already.

Gun options I'm considering. I would like to keep the gun price around $1,000-$1,500 Canadian + Tax, I do love tikka but not sure if there T1X really stacks up compared to the T3X series, I fell in love with my Tac A1 with how smooth and accurate it was out of the box. I'm mostly looking for something I can just pick up and shoot for a while, maybe upgrade parts in the future.

$1,000 Rifle Options (preferred)

Tikka T1x MTR .22LR, 20" ($825)

CZ 457 VARMINT .22LR, 20" ($999)

CZ 457 VARMINT MTR .22LR, 20” ($1150) (This seems to be the best option from what I've seen)

$1,500 Rifle Options (Less likely to upgrade these)

Tikka T1x UPR Rifle - .22 LR, 20" ($1400)

CZ 457 LRP, Black - .22LR, 20" ($1499)

Bergara B-14R Steel Bolt Action Rifle - .22 LR, 20" ($1599)

What do you guys think is the best option, also open to other gun suggestions in this price range.

Last edited:
I’d look hard at the CZ457 MTR in the Manners stock with the adjustable cheek riser. Only thing is that version only comes with a 16” barrel. You can get the manners without adjustable cheek riser with a 20” barrel.

Reactions: Icenberg
I’d look hard at the CZ457 MTR in the Manners stock with the adjustable cheek riser. Only thing is that version only comes with a 16” barrel. You can get the manners without adjustable cheek riser with a 20” barrel.
that could be an option not to worried about a compensator but it would look better. definitely want a 20in barrel. and the gun is at the top end of what i would spend its $1699, thanks for the recommendation.
Go CZ in 22LR, not Tikka. I ran a Tikka for 3 seasons. Athlon Helos or Vortex Venom. Vortex at that price lose 1/2 of their elevation travel with a zero stop installed. Diamondback Tactical has 6 mils/turn elevation. You will forget what turn you are on.
yea looking like prob a CZ so i could just enjoy out the box not need another stock.

yea that's an interesting factor of the scope, i didn't notice how much more elevation the Venom has and zero stop is a must. having an exposed windage turret is not worth losing those features. thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Not on your list, probably the cheapest as well, but I take my Ruger precision rimfire with the same vortex venom out to 400 yards. 10 inch plate is ringing 8/10 times with CCI SV ammo. At 100 yards it is grouping just over 1 moa on average with the same ammo, haven’t tried anything more expensive. I don’t compete but bought it with the intention on having a lot of fun and shooting a lot of .22 at distance.

Also tip aaoptics sells refurbished optics. The venom (when in stock) is $350. Not sure if you have access to that or not in Canada.

Reactions: Icenberg