• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lothar OR Kreiger

ve2mbt

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2006
Amos, Canada
Hello,
Just need help or suggestion for a new rifle i'am building.

I have a Surgeon Action that need a barrel, i have 2 opportunity,
1) Kreiger Barrel 1:10 for .308 ammo (4 groove)
2) Lothar Walther 1:8 for .260 (6 groove)

The rifle will shoot 300 yard max as i already have something bigger for longer range so what i'am looking for is the best precision possible from 0 to 300

Thank's for your help

Marc

Re: Lothar OR Kreiger

Honestly, I'd wait for a 6mm barrel and build a 6br if my max range was 300 yards and I wanted the most accuracy.

Super accurate and less recoil (and powder burned) than those 2 choices.

I guess for the two above I'd go the 308, but I like my first idea better.

Walther barrels a VERY HARD steel. Often too hard and a true chore for any Smith to cut. Go with the Krieger. They are the barrel that wins in competition. You very seldom see Walther bbls on a competition line.

Id go Broughton on the .260 5c profile. Broughton has won alot of matches, expecially people who are using the .264 bore diameter. People shooting the 6.5-284 have gone to Broughton barrels they seem to be extremly accurate and consistant in that bore diameter.

Its hard to find a .308 bore that doesnt shoot good. Rock Creek, Krieger, and Broughton are my first choices.

My choice would be a .260 Remingotn with a Broughton and chambered to shoot 139gr Scenar or 142SMK. I hope this helps a bit and good luck with the build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walther barrels a VERY HARD steel. Often too hard and a true chore for any Smith to cut. Go with the Krieger. They are the barrel that wins in competition. You very seldom see Walther bbls on a competition line. </div></div>

Lothar-Walther uses their LW-50 stainless steel which I believe is their designation for 17-4PH stainless. It is has excellent properties for gun barrel steel....... except it does not machine and finish as easily as 416R. You can get a very good, long wearing barrel using 17-4PH but it takes more specialized (slower & more expensive) machining methods.

I love my Kriegers. Never had a LW, but I hear good things about them, too. A friend has a Mod 10 Savage with a LW installed. Nothing fancy, just screwed on the tube, set the headspace, soused down on the locknut. Shoots as well as most- .5" or better.

I have LW, Krieger, Broughton, Bartlein, Pac Nor and a Brux on my rifles.

There is no discernable difference in accuracy in any of the tubes, they all shoot good.

LW are definatley harder on the tooling, but maybe they last longer as a result of being harder?

Wouldnt have a problem using either, depends on what calibre you really wanted I guess.

I have LW, Bartlein, Benchmark, Kreiger, and PacNor. They all shoot really well. The Benchmark, Bartlein, and Kreiger clean the easiest, and the Benchmark and Kreiger seem to be the most accurate. Very consistent groups from both barrels no matter what ammo/powder/brass/bullet I use.

I would go Kreiger for your build if the only two options were the LW or Kreiger. However, if you have other options I would consider a Benchmark, Bartlein, or Kreiger in the 6.5mm or 6mm cartridges.

Either way, I don't believe there is a great deal of difference in the barrels mentioned thus far in this thread. It seems most of the high end barrels these days shoot really well.

This may come as a surprise but for 300 yards and in I'd say go with the .308 (and not because it's a Kreiger. First of availability of reloading componentss, especially bullets and brass (Lapua). Accurate barrel life will be more than twice what you would get out of a .260.

If you do decide to go with the .260 L-W barrel, here are a few tips. The steel is tough and it doesn't "chip" when reamed like 416R or CrMo, so a good reamer is a must. Pacific uses M-42 tool steel for their reamers which seems to cut the L-W steel well.

For reaming the chamber, 250 rpm or faster. A lot of folks seem to think they should slow down the rpms, but then it doesn't cut quite as clean. Don't pound the reamer in either.

Use a heavily sulferized cutting oil pressure fed from the muzzle end of the barrel.

Funny thing about the LW steel, it cuts a beautiful crown and it threads pretty nicely, it's just reaming a chamber that gives it the rep.

But as a final note, whichever barrel you get, well... A perfect chambering job won't make a bad barrel shoot all that good, but a poor chambering job will surely make a good barrel shoot bad.

Quick question Larue Tactical writes that their Stealth upper barrels use LW-50. Is this specific to Lothar-Walther? If so I can assume Larue uses Lothar Walther to make thier barrels...

Thanks in advance.
Jack

Ok, thank for your help, it's my first built, all other where OF THE SHELF, it seem that anyway i CANT go wrong with eater barrel.
i must admit that i didn't look for the components before choosing, we have good choice here in canada but less that in the US.
.308 factory loaded ammo will be easyer to buy here and loading component too, i had the 2 barrel in front of me so i pick the Kreiger in SS, it is 22in finished, 12 flutes. The muzzle is .970, should look nice and shoot good. I already have choose the trigger, a CJ.
My next decision is the stock, i like the Mcmillan A5 or the Manners BUT i fell in love with a PDC, hard to choose when you CANT access them before....

Anyway,
I really appreciate suggestion and comments.
Thank's for your help
Respecfully
Marc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question Larue Tactical writes that their Stealth upper barrels use LW-50. Is this specific to Lothar-Walther? If so I can assume Larue uses Lothar Walther to make thier barrels...

Thanks in advance.
Jack </div></div>

Yes, LaRue uses Lothar Walther barrels. I have a 16" stealth, the barrel is fantastic. It shoots 3/4MOA with factory ammo as advertised. It is a pretty heavy barrel and therefore does not walk shots as the barrel heats up. Lothar barrels are excellent, especially with the Wylde chamber that LaRue puts in them.