• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LSU vs Ok St / Alabama?

Re: LSU vs Ok St / Alabama?

I think a lot depends on how many SEC haters decide to spew their "anti SEC" re-match in the vote. It would be a monumental change of heart over recent trends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a lot depends on how many SEC haters decide to spew their "anti SEC" re-match in the vote. It would be a monumental change of heart over recent trends. </div></div>

Computers putting OK ST at #2. Alabama has to get the coaches votes to stay at #2. Hopefully common sense prevails.

I think all the announcers were all caught up in the moment. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail today. There was such a huge distance between 2 and 3 in the BCS poll so I hope that can't be overcome.

Keep in mind Bama was and still will be 2 in both human polls making 66% of the vote. For some unknown reason the computers put an ungodly bonus on road games and OSU's "epic" win last night was at home so it won't greatly help them out as much as they think.

Let's talk common sense since all you homers want to talk SEC.

Wins vs current Top 25 BCS teams
OSU:
Oklahoma
Kansas St.
Baylor
at Texas
at Missouri

Alabama:
Arkansas
at Penn St

Wins vs FBS teams with winning records:
Oklahoma State:
La.-Lafayette
at Tulsa
at Texas
at Missouri
Baylor
Kansas St.
Oklahoma

Alabama:
at Penn St
Arkansas
at Auburn

Conference Champion
OSU: YES
Alabama: NO

Loss
Oklahoma State: AT Iowa St 37-31 in OT the same day the team found out that a plane crash had killed two coaches from the university.

Alabama: AT HOME WITH A TWO WEEK REST TO PREPARE AGAINST LSU 9-6

All you SEC fans talk your trash. Look at the wins. OSU played a tougher schedule and has more convincing wins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK ST will stay at #3. they will not jump Bama. If they had not lost to Iowa ST they would be playing LSU.</div></div>

Alabama had their chance on their home field and lost. Time for someone else to play LSU.

I gotta give props to Okie State for putting the beat down on my Sooners. I agree with JCH, Okie State should jump Bama cause of the body of work and i hope all the voters take that into consideration.

Glad I went to LSU. We're in, so I don't care who we play. A rematch with Alabama may not turn out the way Bama fans might think it would. So then you get to say you got beat by the same team twice in the same year. Or not...

I agree Okie St has a few more quality wins, but strength of schedule is not the only factor. If so 3 loss Bama should have gone last year bc they had the toughest schedule in the country, but they didn't for a good reason. In your loss, your team went belly up to a .500 team. In ours, we out played but were out kicked by the number one team in the country.

Im tired of hearing who "deserves" it! It should be between the best two teams in the country. Not the two most "deserving" teams.

Fact is who is better between Bama and Okie St?
LSU vs OSU, LSU is the 17 pt favorite
LSU vs Bama, LSU is the 3.5 pt favorite

We'll all know tonight around 2000 hrs, CST as to who the #1 & #2 team's are.

OSU played one hellova game last night trouncing OU. No matter who #2 is, LSU better bring their A game and not wait until the second quarter or half to play ball. Special teams did it again and helped save the night. Things could’ve gotten real bad real fast.

For all you Bama fans, try to remember this, it's not that LSU fans hate Bama, they despise Nick Saban
wink.gif
Hell, ole St. Nick could be coaching an all girls middle school football team and we'd still look forwrad to the game, if only to lay down a little hate.

As for Bama's football program, very strong team and a ton of heritage. Bear Bryant would be proud of Bama............even with Nick at the helm.

Bama is the only team that stands half a chance. Who wants to see a boring BCS game where LSU blows OSU away.

I doubt id get to enjoy one beer before that game was over in the 1st quarter.

OSU blew their chance by losing to Iowa. The only team bama has lost to was to LSU in OT by a field goal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bama is the only team that stands half a chance. Who wants to see a boring BCS game where LSU blows OSU away.

I doubt id get to enjoy one beer before that game was over in the 1st quarter.

OSU blew their chance by losing to Iowa. The only team bama has lost to was to LSU in OT by a field goal.</div></div>

Here's the thing. You all say nobody has a chance but Alabama. People said the same thing about OU in 2000 when they were the only undefeated team and got to play FSU in the Orange Bowl for the title. OU went into the game a giant underdog and went in to Miami and beat a Florida State team that was supposedly unbeatable when they were focused.

You can't argue with numbers.
1. OSU has beat better teams than Alabama.
2. OSU won their conference title. Alabama didn't.
3. Alabama had a chance to prove they were the best team in the SEC West and lost on their home field.

Enough said.

If Alabama makes it to the BCS Championship it is because biased human voters put them there. You shouldn't be able to play in a National Championship when you didn't even play for your conference championship, let alone win it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iowa State</div></div>

Home field loss, didn't win conference title.

So winning a conference title automatically qualifies you for the championship? Ill notify Louisiana Tech they have a chance.

Jog my memory, who did we lose to and who did you lose to?

Fact of the matter is we all know who the two teams are and you are just digging for any and every excuse to bump them out.

I dont blame you bc I would do the same if the roles were reversed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So winning a conference title automatically qualifies you for the championship? Ill notify Louisiana Tech they have a chance.

Jog my memory, who did we lose to and who did you lose to?</div></div>

No you're not getting it. NOT WINNING THE SEC SHOULD ELIMINATE ALABAMA.

Jog my memory, who have you BEATEN that makes you deserving of playing in the big game? Give me reasons, show me numbers. All you have done is spout your opinion.

As an Auburn fan who doesn't hate Alabama, I still feel Alabama will give LSU the best game. Nothing against OSU, I just don't feel they are capable on the defense side of the ball.

People can say "OSU beat the crap out of OU". While the score does reflect that mindset, keep in mind that 14 of their 44 points were off of terrible turnovers by OU. OU really made OSU look better than they are in my opinion. Again, nothing against OSU, but that score is a bit of a misnomer, just like the 9 to 6 LUS/Bama game. Alabama moved the ball all up and down the field but made terrible red zone decisions....and let's not forget their kicker's crappy aim that night.

No other team held LSU to field goals this year and I don't feel another team in the country can do it again except Alabama.

I can remember a t-shirt from the Miami/Bama national championship back in the early 90s. If you will remember ZERO polls showed Alabama winning.....not even close, yet they won.
The T-shirt said "Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships." That has always stuck with me, and I still feel it is a true statement.

Other conferences really focus on super passing offenses and frown on running offenses. It's just different theories on how to win. Both, if executed well, can give the desired result.

Good luck to both OSU and Alabama in the polls. As much as I would like Alabama to play LSU again and win the championship (and keep it in the state of Alabama), I don't know if anyone can beat LSU......they look really strong right now. If anyone has a shot, it will have to be a BIG TOUGH team to slug it out for 60 minutes and I feel Alabama is the better choice this year.

Your mileage may vary.....considerably.

It isn't about who will give LSU the best game. It is about who deserves to play in the game. Alabama didn't win the SEC West, they didn't win the SEC Championship.

They had their shot at LSU. If you want another shot, wait until next year.

OSU had their shot too and blew it to an unranked team.

Stats? how about the number 1 defense in the country?
How about you haven't beaten a single team that is in the top ten this week?
I would list Iowa state as a stat but I can't even find their ranking.

You trounce me for my "opinion" yet your validation for OSU is they "deserve" it. Please quantify "deserve". Its not about "deserving". I can list plenty of teams who "deserve" a shot instead of LSU OSU and Bama but its not about that. its about THE TOP TWO TEAMS. Period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OSU had their shot too and blew it to an unranked team.

Stats? how about the number 1 defense in the country?
How about you haven't beaten a single team that is in the top ten this week? <span style="color: #FF0000">Neither has Alabama.</span>

I would list Iowa state as a stat but I can't even find their ranking.<span style="color: #FF0000">That is the one stat you have in your favor. You have a better loss. </span>

You trounce me for my "opinion" yet your validation for OSU is they "deserve" it. Please quantify "deserve". Its not about "deserving". I can list plenty of teams who "deserve" a shot instead of LSU OSU and Bama but its not about that. its about THE TOP TWO TEAMS. Period.</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">My opinion is based on fact. Look back at the long post I posted showing numbers and quality wins. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's talk common sense since all you homers want to talk SEC.

OSU:
Oklahoma
Kansas St.
Baylor
at Texas
at Missouri

Alabama:
Arkansas
at Penn St

Oklahoma State:
La.-Lafayette
at Tulsa
at Texas
at Missouri
Baylor
Kansas St.
Oklahoma

Alabama:
at Penn St
Arkansas
at Auburn

Conference Champion

Loss
Oklahoma State: AT Iowa St 37-31 in OT the same day the team found out that a plane crash had killed two coaches from the university.

All you SEC fans talk your trash. Look at the wins. OSU played a tougher schedule and has more convincing wins.</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">quoting this again for the poster who must have missed it</span>

Winning the conference should have no bearing on the NC game. It should be the best two teams in the country and just so they happen to play in the same conference isn't enough to dismiss one of them. It is about putting the team in the game that has the best chance of beating LSU because that is the second best team in the country and that is what it is all about having the best two teams play no matter if they won their conference or not. It is funny how people have a hard time with a rematch when it happens all the time. Oklahoma State isn't a good enough to play with LSU. The game would look a lot like the Georgia and Arkansas games when they played LSU. If the NC game isn't LSU and Bama it is because the voters are tired of the SEC winning all the National Championships. LSU/Bama are head and shoulders above the rest.

You're right. The three (3) teams Alabama beat that had winning records means they are head and shoulders above everyone <heavy sarcasm for the southerners>

I guess 7 is no longer considered in the top 10. News to me. As of todays AP poll OSU has beaten 3 of the top 25 and none of the top ten, Bama has beaten 2 of the top 25 with only one being in the top 10, or maybe its not now.

Point being neither has a major advantage in that argument.

And once again, the number one defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And once again, the number one defense</div></div>

It's easy to have a great defense in a conference where the offense SUCKS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And once again, the number one defense</div></div>

It's easy to have a great defense in a conference where the offense SUCKS! </div></div>

You are actually going to try and come across in a serious manner in saying that Alabama's offense sucks?

WOW..... good luck with that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There you have it, LSU and Bama rematch. All is right in the world. </div></div>

What he said....

Btw, I'm from Dothan!

This could be the best BCS national championship match ups ever.

As for No. 3. Ark probably deserves it as much as any other team. Two losses, but to No. 1 LSU and No. 2 Bama. Much tougher schedule than OK St.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's talk common sense since all you homers want to talk SEC.

OSU:
Oklahoma
Kansas St.
Baylor
at Texas
at Missouri

Alabama:
Arkansas
at Penn St

Oklahoma State:
La.-Lafayette
at Tulsa
at Texas
at Missouri
Baylor
Kansas St.
Oklahoma

Alabama:
at Penn St
Arkansas
at Auburn

Conference Champion

Loss

All you SEC fans talk your trash. Look at the wins. OSU played a tougher schedule and has more convincing wins.</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">quoting this again for the poster who must have missed it</span>
</div></div>

They lost to Iowa state. No way they stand a chance against LSU. The top of the SEC West is much stronger than anyone in the top 25. Oh and I'm an ACC Fan from NC.

It's about who is the best team. Alabama could beat any of OK ST's opponents, and I am sure they would not have loss to Iowa. In their only loss, it was to the #1 team who they actually out played but couldn't out kick.

Since when has winning your conference ever been a requirement for playing for a national championship?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK ST will stay at #3. they will not jump Bama. If they had not lost to Iowa ST they would be playing LSU.</div></div>

Alabama had their chance on their home field and lost. Time for someone else to play LSU. </div></div>

You actually think OK State would be a game?! LSU would wipe the field with them....
Get off your high horse and realize the best matchup was selected to please the fans.

OK State won their conference by beating on OU..... wow...... so impressive. OK State couldn't compete in the SEC on their best day!

JCH, Don't take this the wrong way but you don't know what you're talking about. You try to call out the bias SEC fans but you're nothing more than a starry-eyed OSU fan with false delusions of grandeur. Try reading some facts.

We need a playoff, but we don’t have a playoff, as everyone knows. And there probably won’t be one anytime soon. It’s an insult to our collective intelligence, but it’s a fact.

Given the system we have, the LSU-Alabama rematch is the right call – no matter how narrow the margin. The best teams will play in New Orleans for the national title.

Stop the whining about a team that didn’t win its conference being able to win the title. Stop the whining about how Alabama had its shot and lost. Stop the whining about how unfair it is for LSU to have to beat the Crimson Tide twice. Stop the whining about the likelihood of another defensive struggle.

Deal with it.

People say Alabama had its shot? Well, Oklahoma State had its shot, too. All the Cowboys had to do was win their final two games and they were in the title game. Then they went to Ames and were shocked by 29-point underdog Iowa State.

That invoked a little-known BCS bylaw, rule 10.3.1.14, which reads thusly: Any team that loses to Iowa State is automatically ineligible to win the national title.

Alabama lost by three to the undisputed No. 1 team in the land. Oklahoma State lost to a Cyclones team that finished 6-6. There is no comparison.

But if you insist on using one more yardstick, there’s this: Alabama’s best win was a 24-point beating of Arkansas, which is ranked No. 6 in the BCS. Oklahoma State’s best win was a seven-point escape of No. 8 Kansas State. Advantage, Crimson Tide.

So the championship game — the one that renders the rest of bowl season little more than a sideshow – is appropriately set. But that doesn’t mean the BCS got it all right.

That invoked a little-known BCS bylaw, rule 10.3.1.14, which reads thusly: Any team that loses to Iowa State is automatically ineligible to win the national title.

LMAO......You crack me up Mike

Pat Forde

LSU is the only team that deserved to be in the title game. The BCS got it right. LSU/BAMA are the two best teams in the country. It just so happens they are in the same division in the same conference.

The real travesty here is how in the hell did VaTech get into a BCS bowl game?

So, OK St may deserve the shot for the title more than Bama. Ok. But Bama will be a better game.

I guess it really doesn't matter who deserves the shot, only which game will be better and draw a larger viewing audience and GENERATE MORE REVENUE!!! I hate college ball. Just admit it that in the end it all comes down to money, not skill.

Please set up a bracket system like college hoops or the NFL.

It's about the two best team, which are LSU & Bama. SEC has won the last 5 NATIONAL CAHPIONSHIP now the SEC will win number six. You can talk all day about what your team did the problem is "what your team didn't do". Do we need a play off system yes but it will never happen. It's called spread the wealth that's why we have 72 bowl games an teams with 6-6 records playing. Ever NCAA sport has a play off except FOOTBALL! To be honest the real reason why College football will never have a playoff is because more people will be pissed off when they have to watch 4 or more SEC team fighting for the Championship.

Bottom line is ESPN wanted the AL/LSU game. They were pissed about CBS having it the first go round. Now they can say they have the "real" AL/LSU game. They had Saban campaigning on game day for crying out loud. How is this right?

Neither LSU or Alabama would wipe the field w/OSU. Their defense is better than the stats. They blew out 90% of our opponents. 2nd and 3rd string D saw alot of action. Are they the steel curtain? No. But the offenses in the SEC aren't exactly potent either. We had a chance to settle this. Now we will never know. So if AL wins, do they split the NC since both teams are 11-1 and 1-1 against each other?

I leave you with this. Funny as hell no matter what side of the fence your on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwX9CMCrw_U

I am not a fan of LSU, OSU, Bama, Stanford etc but the system is broken. Do you know that OSU finished behind Bama by 0.0086. DO you know one thing that is taken into consideration by the BCS standings? Coaches poll is taken into consideration. Saban put OSU 4th, Missouri who is trying to get into the SEC put OSU 5th etc. Seems like a conflict kinda doesn't it? Seems like a team that has more pull with other teams and coaches can try and skew the BCS slighlty to their advantage.

I posted this in the other topic but it seems more relevant here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First and foremost THERE IS NO PERFECT SOLUTION, playoffs included. No matter what solution, there will always be someone left out and someone slighted. Everyone talks about a playoff but no one ever acknowledges the cons that come with it. With the plus one that was mentioned above, Oregon would be left out and Stanford in even though they whipped Stanford pretty easily. Also you would have teams that had locked up a position before the season was over, such as LSU this year, and could blow final games to save their players, and whats the last week of the season? Rivalry week. So every system has its cons and every system will hurt someone's feeling. Is the system we have now perfect? Hell no. But is a playoff leaps and bounds ahead of what we have now? I don't really think so. Maybe better but not by much.

Lastly you mention a four team playoff, at one point the SEC west was 1 2 3, how many people complain about that?
</div></div>