• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

m&p15 overhaul, need advice...

Doughty69

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
TX, Fort Hood
so about a year ago i bought a m&p15 a4 5.56/.223 and ever since i have been wanting to shoot it farther and more accurately. here is what i have done to it so far and then i would like to hear some of everyones advice on how to make it more accurate, ie. parts to swap, things to buy etc. etc.

RRA 24" 1-8 twist SS bull barrel that has been bead blasted

chrome bolt & BCG (free with the barrel) not sure if it is any better

Millett TRS-1 Mil/Mil (still need rings)

Command Arms srs stock (kinda cheaply made but works well with the mono pod, i should have got the magpul stock instead.

I plan on shooting Black Hills ammo 62gr-77gr which ever i feels works best for me.

So any suggestions or advice on how to make this rig any better i would love to hear all of your thoughts, positive or negative to help me improve this gun and my shooting.

Thanks Everyone,
Doug

Re: m&p15 overhaul, need advice...

triggerwork.net for a nice trigger job on your factory stuff. for the money most people love it. +1 on the free float tube. did you install the barrel yet? have you thought about building a second upper? i have that scope on my bolt rifle. huge isnt it, lol? the burris pepr mount would work for you. its available for $50-$60 i think

thanks for your input guys, i am currently deployed and havent mounted the barrel yet so im not sure how it shoots yet, i did get a houge free floater when i bought the barrel. i will deffinately look into a new trigger and the pepr mount. i actually havent had a chance to mess around with the scope yet i ordered that a few days ago and wont be back in the states to assemble a few things for 4-5 months. i was able to achieve MOA or less with the stock 16" barrel but would like to get sub MOA and i would like to get out to 600-800 yards.

Ghogs, im pretty new to owning guns and this is my first custom build, im not really understanding your question "what are the specs as it sits currently ref internals/forearm"

Im bassically trying to get parts together for when i get home to aseemble.

thanks again for your advice and anything else you could offer would be great
smile.gif

Ok, you are off to a good start with the 24" 1:8 twist barrel. that will stabilize up to 80grain projectiles. Ammo wise stick with the 77's I have shot these accurately to 975yds - trying for 1000 now lol. And if possible start handloading your own precision ammo.

scope wise that is a good scope you picked and should perform well,

the pepr mount will wotk but me, i prefer good ol' fashioned rings lol

also you will want an extended latch on the charging handle, makes it easier to operate with a scope installed, also a bore level is a nice addition for long range shooting and the b-square level can be had for as low as 13 bucks.

trigger is a must IMO, get a good match grade drop in trigger and be done with it. there are many manufactures out there. i use a timney trigger in mine.

also invest in a good bipod a harris or an atlas will be very helpful.

there is alot of other small things you can do to personalise and upgrade your rig but you are off to a good start. if you have any questions just let me know

here are a few things that i forgot to post that i have for the rig...

harris bipod with podclaws

gcmgunfighter medium or large charging handle i cant remember

magpul B.A.D. lever

thanks hoff for the post i'll look into getting those rings we talked about and the levels

I'm sort of in the same situation. I have a S&W M&P15 with an Aimpoint CompML3 on it and then I built an AR with a Spikes Tactical lower and an ACE Skeleton stock and I put a RRA Varmint A4 20 inch upper on it. I added a RRA scope mount an a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 BDC scope to it. I just added a Harris bipod today. Eventually, I will upgrade the trigger. But, I'm getting sub MOA groupings at 100 yds as is.

Next on my list is a good spotting scope and possibly a higher power scope.

Doug, Thank you for your service!!!!!

+1 for a good trigger. I have a Geiselle, f-in awesome. Bill Springfield also does good trigger job from what I understand on standard mil-spec trigger. Do a search on AR15.com.

Also some little things:
Magpul BAD
Magpul MIAD grip
Gunfighter charging handle for better use w/ scope

Seems like you're on the right track. Oh ya and handloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a pic of what im working with, the scope on there is not the one mentioned above, just a walmart 60$ scope on some 15$ rings

2l9qz9g.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like a fuckin abortion.

In all seriousness, your optic is way over-sized for a carbine, and your mounting situation is beyond fucked- you need a cantilever mount instead of one on the receiver, one on the non free-floated hand guard bullshit.

I don't know what the hell that stock is, but it has no business being on a carbine.

Get your bipod on the 24" upper, mount the big scope on the 24" upper and get a more streamlined, universal type buttstock. Pick up a 1-4 optic for you carbine.

That thing looks like some confused airsoft gun as it is.

I'm with DP425, it looks like you are trying to do too much with that rifle. You have a VFG but are you really planning to use at close range with both a bipod and a monopod hanging off it? Looks heavy for that kind of use and what are you going to do with a front site and no rear sight? If you are in the military I would think you would be modeling your build after the effective rifles that you are seeing in action. Like DP said, that whole stock/optic mounting thing looks bizarre.

In regards to improving your shooting, are you really looking to build a sub-MOA 5.56/2.23 800 yard rifle? You mentioned it's an MOA rifle now so how well are you able to shoot today with it? Hard for anyone to tell you how to improve your shooting without seeing targets or understanding your current skill level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a pic of what im working with, the scope on there is not the one mentioned above, just a walmart 60$ scope on some 15$ rings

2l9qz9g.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like a fuckin abortion. </div></div>

Roger that ... Charlie Foxtrot...over.

Yeah it's all wrong. Simplicity is beauty. There is way too much shit hanging off that carbine upper. However if I encountered you on an OP as a hostile I would be dead because I just sat here staring at your rifle like I was on LSD. The tactical awe. If I were to make a long range 5.56 rifle with a 24" barrel it would have a magpul PRS on it. Provides good cheek weld for LR shooting. On the other hand my carbines, for CQB to 300y, have CTRs and SOPMODs the rest of he fodder isn't cutting it. Actually my 16" carbines wear out steel to 600y but with little precision for my standards.

It is hard to make an end all do all rifle. If I were you I'd get an other lower and have two rifles. Set up as I explained.