• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing M40 finish

DLBlack

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
I have a question regarding the various types and shades of finish on an original M40. Tell me if I am correct or not on these: Barreled action-Dark grey Parkerizing; Bolt and bolt handle-Matte black; Floor plate and bolt shroud-satin or gloss black. What about the base and rings? Parkerized or matte black?
Thanks, David

Re: M40 finish

The barreled action were parkerized, I am not sure whether zinc or managese parkerizing was used, but over time this will change color to a grey/green shade. The bolt shroud assembly was given a black oxide finish, aluminum trigger guard and floorplate were colored black. I personally parked my rings and base, as well as floorplate, then had the trigger guard and floorplate colored flat black with durocoat, but I can find no reference in any book that this was done.
Heres a pic of some rings and bases, from left to right, zinc parked rings, managese rings and bases, and standard.
Redfieldrings002.jpg

You are thinking there were different colors used on different parts.
Not so.
We swapped and replaced parts so often that it just looked that way.
It's just the various amounts of time each part was in use made them appear to be different colors.

Example.
Barreled action in service 6 months.
Bolt in service 2 years.
Bottom metal in service 5 years.
All on the same rifle.
Of course normal aging will make the APPEAR to be different shades.
Every military rifle I have ever seen has had the variations in *hue*.
Save for those very few that were out of the skin package brand shiny new.

Thorax, just going by what printed in a few books including Senichs, the hue on any parked rifle will change over the years and I totaly agree with you on swapping parts. But when they came new from Remington that was the how they were supposed to be.

New from Remington ?

Umm, no.

Look closely....they were assebled at Quantico.

Maybe the newer A5 models are assembled by Remington...I have no idea as I've been out of the corp for quite some time.
All the originals were hand built in Quantico using parts sourced as I'm sure you know...from all over.
Another heads up for you:
No one can honestly tell you exactly what parts were in which rifle. They were sourced from X company, and when that company had trouble keeping up with demand Y company started up chugging out parts, and then Z company, and so on and so on.

I keep hearing about people wanting to build an accurate clone...
Sheesh, go hit a trash heap and gather enough to put together a 700 and it'll damn near be perfectly clone worthy.
I've seen most of them with Douglas barrels, some had Kreigers, some had Hart, I know Shilen made a few.

The only thing they all had in common was a Remington 700 action, and that was it.

Thorax, I think we are talking about different rifles. mjh and myself are talking about the original M40. The info you provided would be correct for the M40A1. The original M40 was put together by Remington and used factory stock, Remington barrel, etc... The M40A1s were put together at Quantico, using aftermarket barrel, McMillan stocks,etc...

DLBlack, thanks for clarifying that matter and Thorax you are quite correct about building at Quantico, which happened from about 76 onwards with the creation of the M40A1. Just double checking on the mounting hardware and the books simply state finished in black and they were Redfield parts numbers 523503 for rings and 511153 on the elusive 40x base.Heres a few picture of my clone, not too bad except for one obvious error,(oversized recoil lug) the scope is a 2nd gen gloss accurange which is also incorrect but all I had at the time, please pardon the bipod, as I hadn't the correct swivels and I included a picture of the stripper clip cut I had machined on the rifle as well. The barrel is from Douglas, Remington used Douglas barrels on the M40.
Marty
M40010.jpg

M40010.jpg

M40008.jpg

mjh, I have the same scope except mine is the earlier(?) model marked "Redfield 1" Tube". It is an Accu-Range though. The part I have had the hardest time finding is the base. I have NEVER seen on for a 40X for sale. I plan on using one for a 722 and bottom screw rings. Very nice looking set up you have, thanks for the photos.

Never saw a 40x either, I know someone here on the Hide will square a rounded base up for you, if interested. Good catch on the early accurange, have a satin at Ironsight getting cleaned. The bottom screw rings were only used on the M40A1's, standard low profile four screw rings were used on the M40, those marked 1-66 or 1-64 are deemed correct.

OK, this may be a VERY dumb question, but were ANY of the 1st gen M40 rifles marked "Remington 700" or were they marked "Remington 40X"? I'm just trying to figure out if my 1960s ADL 700 in .308 that I just bought is going to be good for building an M40 clone from, or do I need to go back to the drawing board and try to find a "40X" marked rifle from the same era. I know CMP had some 40X in .22LR, but am I right in presuming these would not work for a .308? Or would they? Just what WERE the differences between the 700 and the 40X, anyway?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt.Joker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, this may be a VERY dumb question, but were ANY of the 1st gen M40 rifles marked "Remington 700" or were they marked "Remington 40X"? </div></div>

They were marked Remington 700. The only difference in markimgs from the civilian varmit rifles was the "U.S." that was roll stamped over the SN. Some of the Redfield bases were reported to be parkerized instead of blued. To make a true M40 copy you will need a receiver with a six digit sn

IMG_0959.jpg

You guys are killing me with the pictures and discussion. Thats it, I cant take it. I'm restarting my M40 clone project.

Just wish I didnt sell all my parts.

Once upon a time I had 3 Redfields (two 1st gen and one 2nd gen). Sold'em all.

Commercial versions ofcourse but still sad they're gone.

I believe that the heart stamp on the barrel was a proof mark, not a maker's mark (that has a fine quality ring to it!!). Hart did have a contract at some point.

One more quick question. I haven't found a good photo of the butt plate. Were the aluminum plates flat/matte, satin or gloss black? Thanks, DLBlack

I always tell people in reference to the heart/Hart stamp "If it is a heart it's not" a Hart.lol I had a couple 40-X's with Hart barrels that were clearly stamped on bottom of barrel C R & P J Hart or something like that. Been 20yrs since I sold the last one.

Remington's "Varmint Special" was not introduced until '67 or real early '68. My 'guess' is that the custom shop came up with a barrel contour and stock design to suit the Corp for the M40 and Remington followed through with that same contour when they introduced it or the Corp's specs gave Remington the "great idea" for a commercial varmint rig??? Perhaps the Corp was the testing grounds for accuracy/durability etc prior to Remington going into production on their Varmint Special. I have never seen a Varmint Special with the flat safety lever that I can remember either? I wouldn't be surprised if the custom shop didn't contour perhaps some Hart barrels or have Hart provide a special contour for this unique project of Remington M40's. Just a guess/hunch though. Not many original M40 barrels around to get a hands on look or Remington custom shop employees that would know.

George from GAP had posted that the M40A1's used Schneider, Douglas, HS Precision and a few Atkinson tubes but I have never seen in what order or quantity or what yrs who had the contracts.

As for the butt plates they were anodized so I doubt any were gloss, moreso just a dull/satin/matteish black? The factory # on the aluminum butt plates from 66 was 16601. I have probably 10 butt plates laying around. Trying to find right sizes to fit some stocks. Remington installed the butt plates then finish sanded the stocks so "they became one"
wink.gif
so each butt plate was fit to that particular stock from what I can tell. Length varies by as much as 3/16" and width about an 1/8". So you buy a butt plate somewhere and find out it doesn't match the size of your butt stock. Trust me on this, been searching for several yrs and don't think 2 of mine are the exact same size.

HTH

Respectfully,
Dennis

All of these great questions can be answered in Seniches book. Not say its all gospel, but he pulled his resources from just about about every reputable source that can be imagined.
Every imaginable question from, barrel size, contour, how many,BDL vs. ADL, scope questions contract #'s, ring height, finishes....etc. About as close to a Vietnam era build manual as you will find.
Just to help all out there and to keep you from wasting money on incorrect parts. Also to help weed out all the opinions vs. facts (not directing that towards any of you btw).
In regards to rifle builds....have spoken with numerous 2112 buddies and have basically been told that as far as the term "Spec" goes (mostly in regards to A1 builds).....Every 2112 is different and does things a little differently depending which instructor 2112 guided them....SO when it comes to builds being the same....each has their own character.....The largest variation differences I've noticed between sticks is in the finishes. All close to one another but most all seem to very just slightly.