M96, or K98 for the build?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Logic tells me I should just buy the Savage 12LRP in .260 for the next target rifle...
    But I had so much fun (and pretty decent success) in doing my Mosin sporter I'm leaning towards forgetting about logic...

This will be a target rifle, banging steel (regularly at 200M, longer when we can make the long drive). Only the barreled action will be used, it will be bedded into an aftermarket stock)

I handload, so ammo availability isn't a concern, but components (brass and bullets) are...

Both of these seem to have a fair amount of aftermarket accessories available (stocks, triggers). Any significant advantage with either when it comes to the d&t for the scope mount?

Ballistics of the 6.5 x 55 vs. the 8mm Mauser?

Any advice/comments appreciated!

Re: M96, or K98 for the build?

If you're going to bastardize a beautiful classic rifle I feel obligated to tell you to kill the 98 since there's more of them floating around and I like them less.
    smile.gif
    But my serious answer would be 1+ for the m96. When I finally get around to buying a vintage military rifle that's the one I'm going with. 6.5x55 is miles better as a long range cartridge than 8mm, especially if you're handloading.

6,5,x 55 m96.- you ´ll love the smoothness of the action, compared to the k98.

Plus in general de m96´s are more accurate.. and 6,5 ballistics are way better than the 308.

Remember you have different versions.. the short carbine ( I think m38) , the m96 and there´s some comp. rifles around built with heavy comp. barrels after the 40´s with the mauser 96 action for military competitions .

Thanks.
    I was looking at the SAMCO rifles...they look sschweet..

I have an 03 FFL, but I'm not a true "collector", per se...
    While I could certainly purchase the rifle, pull the action and maintain the ability to restore back to it's original condition, I'd prefer to find a barreled action with a pristine bore- and crappy stock (or no stock at all!) since this is for a LR build.

Guess it can't hurt to put some feelers out to see about sourcing one like that. While a collector might frown on a cracked stock, it wouldn't matter to me as long as the price reflects it.

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen.

i have a Gustaf m96 that i rebarreled with a stainless wilson barrel chambered in 308. it sits in a handmade walnut stock. its a tackdriver. but i prefer a m98 because it is a cock on open and the stocks have a way better selection.