Magpul AR15 Stocks: MOE vs. CTR

jwkao2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
So I was looking at parts for an AR15 that I'm planning on upgrading, and was looking at Magpul stocks. What is the difference between the MOE and the CTR besides this extra "friction lock system" that prevents wobbling? Is it worth the extra $$$? As always, thanks in advance.

Re: Magpul AR15 Stocks: MOE vs. CTR

i just built my first ar15 and it quickly went from a dream build to a budget one when i got layed off... so instead of a UBR that i wanted, i got an MOE stock. and im very satisfied with it. little bit of wobble but its a non issue when shooting it seems. i couldnt justify the extra 30 bucks.

The lockdown has never been important to me however if you like a qd point on your stock, the ctr has one built in.

love the CTR as well as most all Magpul stocks---CTR and UBR seem to get the most use but have done several budget-minded builds where the barrel nd triggers were state-of-the-art and all furniture was MOE--customers were very happy

I did a build and would have gone with the MOE but went with the CTR only because it had a flush cup for my sling. Otherwise I didn't think it was worth the frition lock.

I consider the CTR to be the right choice if you want the QD swivel cup. If that isn't needed, then I really don't feel that the friction lock warrants the extra cost. I've used both, and when firing, there really is no discernible difference. I've run with a MOE stock on a mil-spec tube, and there was no real "rattle"; just a slight bit of movement that made no noise and barely shifted.

Not to "jack" this thread or anything but, where does the QD swivel go on the CTR? On the rear/toe of it? Or on the side of it? And can't you just get an end plate sling attachment if a sling is desired?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cherns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to "jack" this thread or anything but, where does the QD swivel go on the CTR? On the rear/toe of it? Or on the side of it? And can't you just get an end plate sling attachment if a sling is desired? </div></div>

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-CTR-Stock-Black-p/mag311%20black.htm

You see the little circle near the rear of the stock next to the adjustment lever? The QD goes on there.

Yes you can get an end plate sling attachment but it's all about preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cherns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to "jack" this thread or anything but, where does the QD swivel go on the CTR? On the rear/toe of it? Or on the side of it? And can't you just get an end plate sling attachment if a sling is desired? </div></div>

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-CTR-Stock-Black-p/mag311%20black.htm

You see the little circle near the rear of the stock next to the adjustment lever? The QD goes on there.

Yes you can get an end plate sling attachment but it's all about preference. </div></div>

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Welcome!
laugh.gif

Personal preference but I vote CTR. Used both and like CTR better. Very little wobble in MOE but I am the kind of person who hates wobble where it shouldn't be, unbalanced rifle, ect.