magpul course reviews anyone?

lucky308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
Ca
I've been considering taking a few courses from different places and Magpul Dynamics is on my list of ideas. I wanted to know if anybody here has had any experience with them at all, and if possible their MIL/LE courses.

Re: magpul course reviews anyone?

Nobody has taken a magpul course? I know riflesonly is popular around here for a reason, somebody has had to take a course..

I've heard a couple of good things about the trainers and I have personally been on the waiting list for a couple of those courses and still am for the Racine, WI tactical Carbine...... The only negative I would say is they are hard courses to attend, they only put on very few courses..... I dont know if that is for a reason but it is annoying.

I've taken their Carbine II course. I liked it however, if you can take the three day course do that. I took the two day course and it was very rushed. I think they do a combination Carbine I & II which would be better. I've also taken Thunder Ranch Urban Carbine and got alot from that class too. In my opinion Thunder Ranch is geared more towards home defense and Magpul is geared more towards LE and Military.

Im looking for a training facility geared towards military, thanks ashland that helps, I appreciate it. Brickbd, Im gonna take a guess that the limited amount of courses is due to the number of instructors they have.

I recently completed the Magpul Dynamics 3-Day Carbine course. Highly recommended. I've had the good luck to train with a number of great instructors to include Rietz, Cooley, Vickers, Davison, etc. All of them are great and each gave a unique experience with different lessons learned. You cannot go wrong with Chris and Travis from Magpul Dynamics. It will be a fast-paced, equipment stressing course that forces you to train with an aggressive (not out of control) combat mindset, and your weapon handling skills and speed will be taken to the next level. It's well worth the money.

Bring a gun that you know works and then bring another.

These guys are also very entertaining, and humble at the same time. They demo every exercise at full speed, and they can shoot like blazes.

The class I did was attended by mostly SWAT-types, and included one Marine with a lot of recent operational experience. All students were very happy with the level of training we received, and the training was applicable to both LEO and Mil application.

Like I said, highly recommended.

If you do decide to go to Magpul get their video before you go. It will help you prepare. ColBat is right, your guns and gear had better be in order or you will get left behind.

You can PM me if you have questions.

Not true. At least not during my class. We checked our zero at the beginning and they started with an accuracy drill. We changed targets several times but we didn't tape our targets as much as we did at Thunder Ranch. At Magpul we spent alot of time working as a team and with partners.

You will paste targets and you will assess accuracy for most drills, on only one drill was there no accuracy assessment, as it was not practical (don't remember what it was called, but somewhat similar to an Australian Peel). When I first saw the ammo requirement of 2,000 rounds carbine for a 3-day course I was concerned that there would be wasted rounds, this was not the case.

Although marksmanship will be appropriately tested and addressed, it was not a marksmanship course per se. I would categorize it as a balance of speed and accuracy (BSA) approach with emphasis on achieving an effective shooting platform under dynamic conditions. It is a top-notch course.

In my experience there is no one course that does it all, including multi-week military shooting packages. Different instructors give you different pieces of the puzzle. I recently shot a 2-day, $70 Appleseed Project class. Also highly recommended. I doubt any of the all-volunteer instructors had near as much variation of carbine training as I, but what they knew and were able to teach was a useful addition to both my carbine and precision rifle skillsets.

If you are looking for a carbine course weighted towards accuracy, then consider Vickers or Howe, or take your AR to an Appleseed Project course.

But the only reason I would choose one of the ones I've mentioned over any of the others would be the ease and affordability of the course relative to your situation.

Many great choices in this great country.

I should add: Vickers, Howe and the like teach within in the context of tactics, but Appleseed Project is marksmanship only, under time pressure, and with a sling used as support for every shot. It's been many years since I used sling support with a carbine, but I'm glad they tuned me up as it gave me the confidence to make standing shots on a man-sized target with my 16" AR, out to 500m. Earlier this evening I had the pleasure of dinging steel pigs at 400 yards off-hand with a 15-pound, suppressed .308 loaded down with a PVS-22 (in other words, a heavy load). I would not even have tried it before the Appleseed course.

When the ninja pigs come, I'll be ready.