• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head for spotting scope

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
For those of you using the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head on their spotting scope...

I just got one and I am having trouble with the tolerances of the unit. It’s not very “precise” and every time I turn a knob, there is significant play causing my image to shift.

For example, the knob for horizontal panning is located on the right hand side and is oriented so you turn the knob forward and backwards to pan left and right. When I do that, it induces vertical movement in the scope. I hope this makes sense.

Anyone else have the same issue? How do you tighten it up or is it just inherent in the design and I need to try a different head?

@gr8fuldoug

The quick adjust wheels can be used to 'lock' the adjustment. Turn the one you want to lock out, in this case the vertical, and it will take the backlash out of the gear without affecting the other adjustments. It's pretty sensitive, so don't reef down on it. You'll need to give it a a twist to unlock, then just let the spring pressure keep the gear engaged for smooth movement.

The quick adjust wheels can be used to 'lock' the adjustment. Turn the one you want to lock out, in this case the vertical, and it will take the backlash out of the gear without affecting the other adjustments. It's pretty sensitive, so don't reef down on it. You'll need to give it a a twist to unlock, then just let the spring pressure keep the gear engaged for smooth movement.

Thanks, I gave it a try and still having the problem, just a little less noticeable.

So just to clarify, I twist the quick adjust wheel slightly in the opposite direction to "stiffen" up the adjustment right?

I'll get a video of what is going on when I get back. Need to charge my spare phone first.

Here is a video of what is happening. We shoot at pretty extreme distances (2k-3k) and the shifting image is amplified at those ranges. I'm looking for something that has precision so I can easily line up the cross hairs to give accurate mil corrections.

For those that are interested, I placed a call into Manfrotto today and their tech support team is out of the office so they asked me to send an email to them. I sent them a link to the video and a description so we will see what they say.

Yep, that’s not normal. I have a few friends with those and I’ve never noticed it. I went with the benro version and don’t have that problem either. Hopefully they’ll get you taken care of.

When I bought mine, I had researched the specs and decided on the 405. I just spotted this thread and read all the posts then just now goggled for a comparison of the two. Briefly it says the 405 has much finer threads so the movement is smoother and more precise.