Rifle Scopes March Scopes

bgedeon

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2011
I recently Saw a "March" scope with a second focal plane that is a tactical version and the magnification range is 8 to 80! I've never seen a scope go up to 80X mag. I have a Schmidt Bender (first focal plane) that goes up to 50X mag, and even with their superior optics, it's hard to adjust the focus at 50X. So I was wondering if anyone has had experince with these scopes since it was only priced at $3,100.00 and I payed over $3,500.00 for my S&B--so I wonder how good the scope works at the 80X setting.
Thanks everyone.

Re: March Scopes

I've had a couple of March scopes in recent times - primarily on an F/TR rifle. Had the 10-60x52 and now have the March X 5-50x56 which has a 34mm maintube. The 2FP MTR2 reticle I use has hash marks which subtend 2MOA at 10x, 1MOA at 20x and 0.5 at 40x.

I can tell you that the most magnification I've ever used is 40x and at that setting, the exit pupil is tiny, so your cheekweld has to be spot on or you'll lose your sight picture. I mostly (about 90% of the time) shot the 10-60x on 20x mag, in order to utilise the 2FP reticle and offset the mirage/parallax that cripples the high mag settings.

On a prone gun, off a bipod - basically forget using high mag settings. The 8-80x was designed for the 1000yd benchrest game - nice stable rest guns with minimal shooter interference. Some people say 80x is good for spotting, but with a pinprick exit pupil and a narrow FOV, you're better off with a decent spotting scope..

Thank you,
I didn't even consider the exit pupil size and the fact that your field of view is greatly reduced as the magnification goes up. Thanks for your help.

One last question for you if you don't mind, if I did get a March scope for prone, bipod shooting--which model and reticle would you recommend? Range would be 600 to 1,000 yards for competitions on my 308 (for 600 yard) and my 338 Lapua Magnum (for the 1,000 yard competitions). Or should I just stick with what I have and hang-on to my cash!!??

Thanks again. I'm new to this sport and appreciate your input.

I shot a 3-24x42 ffp march in a midrange f-class yesterday by St. Louis. While this is a tactical style scope, the clarity and definition are outstanding. In the cool morning conditions seeing the scoring numbers was possible. The is saying something because I don't have the best eyes. The eye box can be a little tight, but in the prone f-class it will also make you keep your position.

For FTR Rifles I suggest a 5x-50x or a 5x-32x from March. I use the 8x-80x in F-Open and my scores have increased by about 10% I shot on 80x for a whole day when others were at 40x! It is amazing. The small exit pupil keeps my alignment to the rifle spot on and my head is always in the same place. Although for tactical and or unsupported shooting it is not useable at 80x. If you are a high end high accuracy shooter, this is the scope for you. We have guys that use our 10x-60x on one of our F-Open Panda rigs and he shot a screamer agg of 3.5" at 1000 yards over 6 targets! Our Rifles + March scopes= a match made to dominate!

I've really been looking to pick up a non illuminated 3-24 FFP march for my light weigth tactical rig. I called Kelbys and they have an illuminated mil/mil in stock. I left it there because I do all my shooting in the daylight.

If anyone is interested, give them a call.

Ian's advice is sound. If you want an MOA reticle, go for the 5-32x or 5-50x if you're shooting off a bipod. I recommend the MTR-2 reticle to give you the best all-round use - the reticle hash marks subtend 1MOA at 20x, very useful for holds.

If you prefer mils, the 3-24x42 FFP is a nice scope, still tight on the eye relief at high mag though.

Save the high mag stuff for benchrested guns. Not my game but some of the 1000br and F-Open guys seem to be getting good results. YMMV.

Goin' Hot call in on monday and talk to me. We have illuminated and non illuminated 3x-24x scopes in stock. I don't know why someone told you we only had illuminated!
Shar let me know what you want i can get it ordered for you, since there is a 16 week lead time!
Dr. Scholl the 5x-50x is a wicked scope! It's super bright, good field of view and the tracking is mind-boggling. Oh and its built like a tank!