• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes march x

Re: march x

Its March dude, its some of the clearest glass in the game and has excellenct tracking, if thats what you want, clarity isn't anything to worry about. That being said, what turned me away was the 5 year warranty.

My thoughts exactly. Im sure there scope is up to snuff, and plenty legit, but I just dont feel comfortable putting, $1800+ into something that doesnt have a lifetime warranty, and in five years you can wave bye-bye to resale value.

I have read and read about the warranty and frankly I think it is ridiculous. If you are so concerned about it pick up the phone and talk to Kelblys. Japanese law limits the amount of warranty a company can advertise based on the size of the company. March is only allowed to advertise a 5 year warranty. They will still take care of any problem with any scope no matter how long you have owned it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read and read about the warranty and frankly I think it is ridiculous. If you are so concerned about it pick up the phone and talk to Kelblys. Japanese law limits the amount of warranty a company can advertise based on the size of the company. March is only allowed to advertise a 5 year warranty. They will still take care of any problem with any scope no matter how long you have owned it. </div></div>

I did not know that about the Japanese warranty law, thats pretty interesting. Its good to hear March has your back if you ever need them.

I had the 8-80 IR last week and did have to chance to compare PM2 50 glass, both on 50 mag.
All i will say is i have made the right decision in low light as i havent had chance as yet to use mine in normal and bright light.

What all agreed on was the superior definition of the March to reveal detail that the S&B didnt. Comments on build quality in favour of the March as well.
Even the screw on battery cover is a precision machining job, if they have done that externally on something unecessary whats the internals like.

For me most of the March range seen to date ooze a quality that can only be acomplished with a hand built scope.

I had a look through one of the 5-50 scopes the other day. Amazing. Made my Leupold Mark 4's look like toys.

The scope I saw was with a mate of the Australian distributer, he told me something along the lines of "They have a 5 year warranty, but they will still look after you for the life of the scope"

Sounds like you wouldn't have anything to worry about with one of these.

http://marchscopes.com.au/faq.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"They have a 5 year warranty, but they will still look after you for the life of the scope"

Sounds like you wouldn't have anything to worry about with one of these </div></div>

I don't doubt it but it needs to be on paper. A scope with that kind of cost needs a comparable warranty. As much as I like the March and it's features I will not buy one unless they get a warranty that befits a company with faith in their product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't doubt it but it needs to be on paper. A scope with that kind of cost needs a comparable warranty. As much as I like the March and it's features I will not buy one unless they get a warranty that befits a company with faith in their product. </div></div>

Then don't buy one, good lord this issue has been beaten to death in EVERY march topic. They are not allowed by LAW to offer anything longer than a 5-year warranty. If they were not doing it on their own accord I'd agree with you, but they have no choice unless they move their entire operation to another country.

Warranties aren't as great as people think, every $9.99 get two for one special on TV offers a lifetime warranty and a money back guarantee......do you think it's because they make a top of the line product and have unlimited faith in their quality?

If anything is hurting March it's the fact they only have one distributor in the US, which has little to no info posted on the scopes, and they seem to rarely if ever have anything in stock, and March is very new to the tactical game. So you have major waits for a product (the couple times I've checked has been 3-6 months) most people won't wait that long esp. for a product that doesn't have much of an established reputation, which in turn means few of their products ever make it to the market and they don't get reviewed/handed around/talked about. They are VERY well respected in the benchrest world, and if their scopes were crap and they didn't have good service, they wouldn't be.

I won't. Fully agree on one distributor. Law or not their warranty is what it is and that's not much. The warranty issue regardless of the reason is a problem or it wouldnt come up in every March thread as you put it. BR scopes are babied in comparison to a field use scope. If I was going to run it on a unlimited weight sparkle purple BR gun that only went from case to rest and wasn't dialed up and down the elevation range I might not care as much. YMMV and I am no March hater....I think they have great features and the ones I have looked through are very nice. Doesn't change my hesitation to buy one. As to the 9.99 analogy...I don't mind losing 9.99. On the other hand if my 2000.00 scope dies out of the 5 year period I do mind if it's at their discretion to thumb their nose or fix it. Warranties from good companies are worth what you think.....USO for example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to the 9.99 analogy...I don't mind losing 9.99. On the other hand if my 2000.00 scope dies out of the 5 year period I do mind if it's at their discretion to thumb their nose or fix it. </div></div>
Do you own a car? How long was its warranty and how much did it cost?

In the big picture, the financial risk is relatively low compared with other things. Even the amount spent on ammo by most of us dwarfs that price tag in much less than 5 years. A quality product by a company that has a reputation for taking care of customers well (in the rare occasion it's needed) is good enough for me.

If not for you, that's fine. That'll keep the wait time smaller for the rest of us. It's not like they're having problems moving enough product.

I have preordered the ~$2800 3-24x42 illuminated FFP scope.

I am putting it on a field gun.

I am not worried about the warranty.

I can't wait for April.

Alright, enough of the silly comparisons to vastly different products. Zeiss, USO, Premier Reticles, Schmidt and Bender, and Nightforce scopes......all lifetime warranty. Great scopes, great warranty. March, great scope, 5 years warranty. I blow money on items with less warranty so I don't fault anyone for buying a March, after all they are very fine optics. Point is, don't make it out to be no big deal with unrelated apples to bananas comparisons when every other scope in it's class has a vastly superior warranty and not 5 years plus a "we'll take care of you" nod. I am not much of an internet arguer and regret even getting this caught up in useless banter so I will bow out without a bad thing to say about March save the warranty.

I have been looking at these scopes very hard. As for the warrenty, I heard that was set by the Country? They are not allowed to have any longer than 5 year warrentys? Its some dumb trades rule? I haven't heard a bad thing about them yet! From what I found they are the holly grail of scopes! Yes the holly grail of scopes. The power range alone is awesome and is to be SUPER crisp and the retical is almost two differnt reticals in one. At low power it looks duplex for fast shooting and the higher power it can be used to range targets still or moving. And at super high power spotting across the valley for game or enemy targets! They guys a APA have them in the safe and I think Jared uses them? But your getting what you pay for out of them! No other scope can do what they do not even close!

Quick question-

If the law states they can not offer a higher warranty. What does the law state about providing warranty service past the published warranty time frame? Could they be subject to penalties? How could this be monitored/enforced?

I doubt they could get in trouble for performing warranty services past the time limit. Also I'd imagine it would also be almost impossible to monitor/enforce unless someone went crying to the authorities that March fixed their scope for free under warranty outside of 5 years, I don't see that happening
smile.gif

However, I'm sure they could get in trouble if they provided say a written statement of longer than 5 year warranty with the product as someone else suggested as it could be easily taken as them breaking the warranty time limit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have preordered the ~$2800 3-24x42 illuminated FFP scope.

I am putting it on a field gun.

I am not worried about the warranty.

I can't wait for April. </div></div>

Same here. I have one coming, which I ordered after reviewing one of the first prototypes. There are quite a few absolutely superb larger scopes in the same price range. However, there is nothing as light weight and compact as March that even comes close (and I have seen just about everything out there).

ILya

With regards to warranties a certain model of a company named above had a serious fault, i know many who have them or had them, though most have sent back to Germany awaiting a cure that could well be three years away! We could all be dead by then.

In answer to the original post there were a few of us for this comparison. One S&B PM2 50mag and one March X 8-80 set on 50 mag.
A very dull day on a dark yellow object. The PM2 revealed just a greyish muted yellow plate whereas the March revealed black paint spots and cracks in the bright yellow painted surface. 1 up for March in low light, PM2 owner gutted.
Will be interesting to compare again in better light.

If i can rig up a digi camera i will, a piccy tells a thousand words.

The 80 mag set on 60 is brighter than the 10-60 but it does get a little dark above 60+ mag.
Over here when paying that sort of money its only an extra £100 for the 80 over the 50 mag, but have the option to turn mag down.