Rifle Scopes Mark 6 Leupold 3-18x44 overview

I haven't found many scopes that actually line up. Even more interesting to note Is when you have to slightly blur the image to get rid of the parallax.

I know most scopes are not exact but I thought adjust to 500 was a bit extreme for a 100 yard shot. Also I haven't touched the diopter adjustment on the eyepiece. The damn thing is nearly impossible to move. The reticle looks crisp when looking at a white wall a few yards away so do I even need to touch it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have the Mark 6 and after years of using both the Mark 4 line and the Nightforces (extremely happy with both) I think Leupold just took it up a notch above the competition. I've been in the sniper community for a lot of years and this optic, paired with a horusvision reticle, is the most practical long range optic I've ever used. Great review by the way, keep it up.

I did a fairly detailed comparison review a few months ago of my Leupold MK6 3-18x44 versus my Premier LT 3-15x50 which I felt were similar priced, magnification range, non-illuminated, ffp scopes. Even added some pictures...however only one person commented which made me sad :(

Overall the MK6 edged out the Premier with its greater range of elevation adjustment, shorter length, and slightly more magnification. However it lost to the Premier on glass quality. Although it can go upto 18x, anything above 16x displays noticable CA, and reduced brightness, from the smaller objective lens. The Premier's glass was amazing throughout the entire range along with better clarity and resolution above 12x than the Leopold. Surprisingly, the Leupold has slightly less barrel distortion!

In the end I sold the Premier, traded my MK6 with TMR reticle for another Hide member's MK6 with Horus and am mulling over purchasing another MK6 in TMR to replace a Vortex 2.5-10x32.

So yeah you can say I like the MK6. By the way it has very good glass, just not on the level with Alphas. Definitely better than my any of my old MK4s or NF NXS though.

I put the Horus MK6 on a .22lr semi and shot it out to 428 yards last weekend. Did not have to turn the elevation knob even once. From a 100 yard zero, it drops 24 MILs at that distance yet stayed on the reticle.

Last edited:
Does anyone notice that when you turn the elevation knob when it's locked you can't tell what .1 mil line it's on? I find I always have to turn it decently firm counter clockwise while locked to tell its exact position. It's actually pretty annoying. The windage knob is fine though

The detent only pops up when you are in the second revolution of the elevation knob correct? Just making sure.

*I figured it out, mine was backwards!, setting it back to factory specs took care of that problem*

Did any of you guys scope come with a manual for the operation of the scope or just the reticle?

Last edited:
The detent only pops up when you are in the second revolution of the elevation knob correct? Just making sure.

*I figured it out, mine was backwards!, setting it back to factory specs took care of that problem*

Did any of you guys scope come with a manual for the operation of the scope or just the reticle?

Mine did. I bought mine from grabagun. I can try to scan it in.

I bought mine used so one wasnt included. So that didnt help me one bit at all at the range trying to zero my scope in. Luckily Leupold made a PDF of it online and I used that to figure out my problem.

I took my mark 6 out the other day and found that when on 18x I need to set the parallax between 200 and 500 for it to properly be adjusted at 100 yards. Have other people found this to be the case?

Have you tried loosening the Allen screw on your parallax knob and slipping it so that the yard line number lines up with your actual adjustment for that yard? My MK8 was slightly off and I was able to adjust it. The MK6 I was issued was spot on but they mentioned we could do that to them.

I should also mention that my MK6 also has a bit of play in the turret like has been mentioned here. My MK8 is very solid with no movement in the turret once the elevation is set.

One other observation with my MK8 turret: When I zeroed the turret the temp was around 20 degrees. The clicks were not as prominent as I would have preferred. I was shooting another rifle with a Nightforce F1 (10 mils per revolution). I could really feel the clicks on the Nightforce whereas, the Leupold MK8 felt pretty mushy to me and I had to look more than feel for clicks.

Last edited:
Have you tried loosening the Allen screw on your parallax knob and slipping it so that the yard line number lines up with your actual adjustment for that yard? My MK8 was slightly off and I was able to adjust it. The MK6 I was issued was spot on but they mentioned we could do that to them.

I tried that but it didn't budge. Maybe I didn't loosen them enough. I'll try when I get home. Thanks for the tip!

I dont know if I am a complete dumbass/newbie when it comes to this but I seem to be having a problem. When I crank the elevation knob counter clockwise the reticle should go up as the arrow with the "u" saying up. But this seems to be having the opposite effect. I reset the elevation knob per Leupolds PDF document and when I do that I loosen the allen set screw and turn the knob clockwise till the detent in below flush with the knob. Then I tighten the allen set screw and proceed to move the knob counter clockwise to adjust the reticle up and it goes down. WTH? Like I said am I that big of a dumbass? I followed Leupolds directions but maybe just maybe something was installed wrong at the factory?

I dont know if I am a complete dumbass/newbie when it comes to this but I seem to be having a problem. When I crank the elevation knob counter clockwise the reticle should go up as the arrow with the "u" saying up. But this seems to be having the opposite effect. I reset the elevation knob per Leupolds PDF document and when I do that I loosen the allen set screw and turn the knob clockwise till the detent in below flush with the knob. Then I tighten the allen set screw and proceed to move the knob counter clockwise to adjust the reticle up and it goes down. WTH? Like I said am I that big of a dumbass? I followed Leupolds directions but maybe just maybe something was installed wrong at the factory?

When you adjust up in elevation it moves the crosshairs down. This makes you then have to raise the gun up which in turn makes the bullet impact up. The turrets reference bullet impact. Not reticle movement. Same goes for right and left