Marlin .17 HMR smooth bore?

GlockandRoll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
Purchased one for my son for Christmas a few years back on sale at a retailer that is no longer in business.

Finally, at 7, my wife decided that it was time to take him to the range. The poor little guy was frustrated that he could not even hit the target.. so I took the bench and noticed the same.

I had ran a cleaning patch through it before shooting it to make sure the bore was clear, and when looking down it - MUCH TO MY SURPRISE - noticed there were no lands-and groves, none. NO RIFLING?

I felt bad and luckily I had my suppressed 10/22 with me.. so the trip to the range was not a total waste of time, range fees, and gas.

Is this a defect, or are they smooth bore?

confused.gif

Re: Marlin .17 HMR smooth bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is the second one I've heard of. The other one was in 2008, was that when you bought yours? Call Marlin, they will get you a new one. Yikes! </div></div>

yes, 2008 indeed~!
I knew I wasnt crazy... thanks SD!

I'm new to your blog and I came across this thread on the Marlin smoothbore. I see the thread is a few years old but I seem to have come across a Savage 30G 17HMR smoothbore. Not sure what to make of it. Has anyone seen this? Any insight into this would be appreciated.