• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

marlin gunstocks???

G

I have a marlin model 925 In .22 mag, and I am looking for a new stock for it. I really cannot find anything online in fiberglass or wood. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

Re: marlin gunstocks???

I have a marlin 925 as well. This makes me so happy to hear. Sorry to thread jack, but does anyone make heavy barrels for marlins?

Re: marlin gunstocks???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Richards does, I just called them. I like the tactical one. </div></div>

I have a Richards Microfit Tactical stock for my Marlin 917V and I really need to caution you about buying one. It cost $191 and took start to finish about 1 1/2 years to complete from the day I ordered it. The piece sat in the box for more than a year after I bought it. One look at the stock made me realize that I had accepted a monster of a project and it just had to wait.

The stock is sitting on my desk as I write this and it took a full month to make it work. There was a buttload of mistakes on the inletting and areas where the router went way over the contours on the magazine trim plate. I filled the mistakes with epoxy and worked the plate inletting back down but I never should have had to do that. You will get the stock complete with all of the mistakes and you fix them. That's how Richards works.

The biggest problem was that the action inlet was not machined on the same centerline as the stock blank. It was offset to one side and it was a nightmare to recut it to fit properly. The barrel mounting holes were not concentric with the barrel mount stud and that's probably how the inletting shifted to one side.

Additionally, the barrel on the 917V has a diameter of about .810". The channel on my stock was inletted to 1/2" which meant a lot of stock removal was needed. Cutting that barrel channel on center and straight was a real job! I ordered the stock for the bull barrel 917V rifle and the stock should NOT have been shipped to me like that! Had there been any quality control, the stock would never have been sent.

The Richards folks led me to believe that the stock would need a small amount of inletting then application of a finish outside. That is simply not true! Basically, you get a real nice chunk of wood and you make it fit while correcting their mistakes as you go.

On the plus side.....the stock blank is VERY nice. The laminations are very thin and there are lots of them. The numerous laminations make a spectacular effect when the stock is machined down. The buttplate they attached is very well fit although expensive.

I became a gentleman of leisure (unemployed) so I did job search stuff or chores in the morning and worked on the stock in the afternoons. It took a month of afternoons to complete! Had I been employed, the project would never have been finished.

I was quoted a three month lead time for production of the stock. My shipment ran about a month late and they REALLY don't like inquiries about delivery dates. I wasn't a pest. Once the shipment date slid past, I politely asked when their new shipment date was. They were not nice. Once you place the order with Richards, you stay in the dark until it arrives!

So.....there's the truth. As Paul Harvey used to say "Now you have the rest of the story." If you can put up with the BS and can put a ton of time into the stock, you will end up with a great looking rifle! Just don't walk into this project thinking that it is a "Microfit" that will just require a few minutes with a Dremel tool and coat of finish to make it work.

Flash