• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

McM HTG on R700. Shoot it before I bed the stock?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I'm itching to get shooting and haven't bedded my R700 308 to it's McMillan HTG stock I got. Any harm in shooting it before I bed it?

I'm mainly wondering what accuracy it has now vs. when I do bed it. However, not sure if it poses any issues in the recoil lug area as it's just a factory Rem 700 308 varmint barreled action.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that the pillars are molded into the stock already.

Re: McM HTG on R700. Shoot it before I bed the stock?

You wont hurt anything by shooting it as is. With that said, Im a fan of eliminating variables before I even start... Were it mine, I would bed it first. A properly bedded rifle will not shoot worse than an unbedded rifle.

Re: McM HTG on R700. Shoot it before I bed the stock?

My 700 SPS Tac shoots pretty good in the HTG stock without bedding. I think if you have the time, bed it first, it can only help as there is a fair bit of forward and backward movement in the HTG recoil lug area.

Also check that the bolt handle does not rub on the bolt handle cut out as mine did. It brings the bolt handle back to bear metal if you are not careful.