• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

McMillan A3?

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    What is the consensus on the McMillan A3 stock? If one was debating between it and the Manners EH1, which one would they prefer?

Also, how hard would it be to have the stock modified from taking a hinged floorplate to taking a DBM setup?

I run an a3-5 which is the same basic style but has a butthook rear stock. I like it a lot. This day and time I'd run whichever I could get first. Dbm inletting is cake walk for any reputable Smith with a mill.

A3 is a good stock, just be sure to get it with an adjustable cheekpiece. I'd go with a vertically adjustable buttplate too, but that's my preference.

Reactions: bas402
    I have both. A3 on my main comp gun and eh1 on my coyote gun. I prefer the texture of the a3 but like the palm size better on the eh1. I'd think the eh1 might be a bit light for a barrel that's very long. Mine wears a 16" ultralight contour and balances well.

I’ve had an A3 for 10 years, which came on my FN. it’s a good stock

I also had DBM put in years ago. Wasn’t hard at all

I have been running the A3-5 for about 2 years and I have no complaints. I have the adjustable cheekpiece and made my own spacer to get the recoilpad higher for prone position shooting. No experience with Manners stocks.

Last summer:
    p5pb14919629.jpg

Last edited:
    I've had the A3 on a 2001 Savage 10FP with an L-W barrel 260 Rem/28" since back around 2001. It has a steel reinforced forend and was sent in for factory pillar bedding. Simply put, it's like driving a Caddy, back when Caddy's were top dawg automobiles.

I'm tall, the spacer system allows it to fit perfectly, and shooting it has no chores involved.

I would contact McMillan direct about the bottom metal inletting; IMHO nobody does it better.

I had an early A5 and loved it too; gifted it to my shooting partner. I prefer the A3, but preferences are purely personal.

Greg