• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

Can someone say whether or not "stainlesstumblingmedia.com" is run by the "secret media contact"? I saw the website but wasn't sure.

Terry,

Have you found some combinations to just not come quite as clean?

I have tumbled a fair amount of my match Lapua .308 Win brass and normally I leave it in the tumbler about 2hrs. Comes out nice-n-shiny on the outside, and clean but not quite shiny inside - good enough. If I leave it in closer to 4 hrs, it comes out pretty dang shiny inside and out.

I recently got some 2x fired Lapua .338LM cases that I ran through the tumbler... after 3hrs they were just barely 'clean' on the inside, and even after changing the water and adding more Dawn + LemiShine, after 6hrs they still ain't exactly 'shiny' inside even when shining a light directly down in there.

I realize it really doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot whether they are just 'clean' or really 'shiny' inside; the end result of not having a bunch of crud inside to come loose and drag through my dies and reloading tools and whatnot has been achieved. It does kind of bug me a bit, though as to why the system doesn't seem to be getting the results it did initially.

Thanks,

Monte

I have not run into any one combo (Brass type our powder) that is harder to get clean. However, I have noticed multiple fired cases do require more time for the interior. Also, the length of time the carbon has had to set makes a difference too.

Are these your 2x fired cases? or obtained from 3rd party?

Terry

Third-party. Finally found some 'used' .338LM brass that had been fired in a TRG42 before the owner moved on to a custom .338 Edge. No idea what powder he used; now that they're clean I'm sizing them to fit my chamber (good bit snugger headspace) and doing the usual case prep work. Ya think they may come out shiny the next time through?
wink.gif

Not Sure! They should come out good enough for Gov't work. I don't woory too much about getting the inside looking like gold from Ft Knox. I go 2-3 hours and that is it. Range brass from military surp auctions I go 5-8hrs on them for the first tumble!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be your media need's a cleaning cycle. </div></div>

Ditto! Try that too Monte!

Terry

I found some 30.06 cases that had been loaded at least 10 times and stored for 25+ years. I had to tumble them 24 hours and three water/soap changes before they came clean.

<span style="font-weight: bold">It is very critical for you rinse out the media before putting it back in drum.</span> <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> Also when drum stops get the brass separated from the media quick. If you can't do it right then (supper on table etc) leave it running. Do not let it sit up a bit before getting them out.

Also I have learned if the water doesn't feel "soapy" or is that sopee???
grin.gif
, then I haven't used enough soap. As was explained by a Phd Chem Engr I know, soap will only displace a given amount and for lack of a better term it quits working and you need more soap. Thusly multiple firings builds up more and more carbon so more soap is the way to go.
It also stands to reason the bigger the case the more carbon is generated by the burn.

This last load of once fired I used 3/4 oz of Dawn and a 9MM case of Limishine and they look unfired.

Normally, I put about a tbsp. of Dawn in hot water and then use the sink sprayer to mix it up good followed by the 9mm case of LemiShine. There will be lots of soap suds. The other day, and the only time I have done this, I put in the LemiShine, used the sprayer, then added the Dawn and sprayed some more. There were a LOT less soap suds, but still the same quantity of Dawn and LemiShine were used. Just an observation. And, it may have been just a fluke, too.

Interesting. I normally dump the majority of the media, along with the brass, into a tub and do the rinsing there until the mix is in basically *almost* clean water (just soap residue left, no dirt/grime) and when the cases get picked out and put in a tub of *clean* water for their 'rinse', the remaining slightly soapy water gets poured off the media and the media dumped back into the tumbler. Are you saying I need to just rinse the media more thoroughly, or run it through a cycle with no cases to get things clean again?

memilanuk:
I dont get it, are you sure you are following the directions from the guy who made the youtube video? I tumbled every piece of brass I have when I got the media, kept the tumbler going for over a week, 24-7. I always used 1/8 tsp lemi, and 2 TB dawn. Some batches I ram the tumbler nearly 2/3 full with pistol brass and used just enough water to cover, and it still came out great even though the tumbler must have been very overloaded. If you are following the process from youtube, could it be your water? Please post your findings as you sort it out.
Thanks
Lex

P.S. Has anyone tried this in a cement mixer?

Lex,

If you are talking about the StainlessTumblingMedia video... well, thanks to Terry (susaponte) I was using this stuff a little while before that place opened for business. I certainly don't think he has any 'magic' to his process that has to be followed lock-step. Yes, I use Dawn and Lemishine, and no, I doubt the water coming from my deep sink has changed much...

As I thought I mentioned... I've used the stainless media with very good results on .308 Win brass, even made some converts myself
wink.gif
It's just the last couple batches have been less... 'shiny'. Same batch of media, same bottle of soap, same container of Lemishine, same tap water... the 6 Dasher cases I purposely didn't keep in there too long (2hrs) as I don't like risking damage to the case mouths on my 'match' brass (bad experience with ceramic media back when), so I wasn't too worried about it. I've tumbled a variety of other calibers as well; generally 2hrs gets 'clean', 3-4hrs gets 'shiny'. Now this 2x fired .338LM stuff... over six hours in the tumbler, with fresh water/soap/lemishine half-ways through, and still not shiny (at all) inside is what caused me to question whether some stuff just doesn't come as clean, thats all.

Try running just your media as a cleaing cycle for it and rinse it really well. I try do do that atleast once a month depending on how much brass and how dirty that brass is. The media should be sparkiling, if it has a dull look to it then there is a little bit of carbon on it and it needs to go bye bye.

Try a cleaning cycle. No matter what you do you will have to at some point. Just my experiance with it, I have had the gun metal colored brass and some cases that get clean but not just what you used to. Still greatly acceptable but I guess our standards are a little higher now. LOL

Terry

Ran it through a couple hours with just the media, water, soap, & lemishine. Can't really say the media is any brighter, and while I had thought perhaps some carbon or other stuff might have gotten embedded in the liner... the water came out just soapy, no hint of anything else. Got five more cases to fire thru the .338LM in the AM, then its back in the barrel for another cleaning cycle - we'll see if the media got 'rejuvenated' or not
wink.gif

If you do a search on Google for 'home made brass tumbler' or something along those lines, you should be able to find various incarnations of tumblers ranging from coffee cans to five-gallon buckets to cement mixers... I used to have a bunch of them bookmarked but seem to have lost them over time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to hear on the whole Cement Mixer... </div></div>

If you can afford enough of the media to use a cement mixer, let us know how it work's out for ya!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to hear on the whole Cement Mixer... </div></div>

If you can afford enough of the media to use a cement mixer, let us know how it work's out for ya! </div></div>

Cement mixer? Are you tumbling 105mm brass?!
smile.gif

When I was in Ohio at Pats reloading several years ago they had two mixers going tumbling milsurp brass that they got from Talon mfg.

They was tumbling 308 RA brass at the time and lots of pistol brass.

Terry

Well... tumbled the .338LM stuff again. 3x fired this time. The insides are definitely 'clean', I'd even say 'shiny', but not 'bright'. If that doesn't make sense, let me try again: I can see a reflection off the inside case walls, but its very dark, almost like the surface is blued. I'm guessin' this qualifies as 'clean enough' and whatever chemical reaction transpired I probably won't get them gold/yellow shiny without removing some metal...

For the guys using stainless, what to you use to get the case lube off afterward? I'm just getting setup to reload and was planning to just use a regular vibratory tumbler with walnut to clean and corn-cob to remove the lube, but have been seriously putting thought into just using stainless.
My only hangup is still "needing" the vibratory w/ corn-cob to get the lube off...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeeto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the guys using stainless, what to you use to get the case lube off afterward? I'm just getting setup to reload and was planning to just use a regular vibratory tumbler with walnut to clean and corn-cob to remove the lube, but have been seriously putting thought into just using stainless.
My only hangup is still "needing" the vibratory w/ corn-cob to get the lube off... </div></div>

Chuck up the case in a shell holder attached to a drill or cordless screwdriver, spin it, and apply paper towel. Lube gone. (My goal was to stay away from vibratory due to the dust generated.)

I toss all my loaded rounds into a vibe tumbler loaded with plain media + some mineral spirits. I also put a few squares of used dryer sheets into the tumbler to keep the dust down.

Wayne

I size my stuff with the RCBS case lube and pad. When done I toss them into a little vibratory that I got at harbor freight. Dryer sheet, and a few squirts of a citrus based cleaner, and 15 minutes later they are ready to load.

The stainless media I use to clean my bras prior to sizing. They basically get tossed into the tumbler right after I get home from the range. 2-3 hours they are good to go.

The vibratory still has a home for cleaning off the Cade lube. If I am only doing 20 or less a paper towel wetted done will get it done to.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeeto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the guys using stainless, what to you use to get the case lube off afterward? I'm just getting setup to reload and was planning to just use a regular vibratory tumbler with walnut to clean and corn-cob to remove the lube, but have been seriously putting thought into just using stainless.
My only hangup is still "needing" the vibratory w/ corn-cob to get the lube off...</div></div>

I just use an old shirt and rub the lube off, a few cases at a time. Sometimes I dampen the shirt with some acetone, but dry works well too. I am using imperial case wax btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsm_38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please PM me info on Stainless media. Thank you. </div></div>

Pm has been sent

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you please PM me with the SS media info? Thank you!! </div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeeto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you also send me the info on the stainless media? Thanks </div></div>

Done!

Terry

Alternate Source For SS Media

$8.00 per pound, 5 pound minimum + shipping. Not sure if it's cheaper than Suasponte source, since his source never replied to my e-mail for a price quote. Please contact me by PM if interested. Thanks.

Re: Alternate Source For SS Media

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: manual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry, could you send me the contact info the SS media. </div></div>

Check your PM's

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot It Off</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry
Would you please send me marks contact info for the ss media. And thanks for the great post. </div></div>

PM sent for Mark's contact info.