• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

if there is some sort of secret about this SS media i am about to bust it all to hell and back.., here is the place to buy SS "http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/index.htm"

just remove the quote marks C&P it and you are off to the races, there is so much info there you will be grinning from ear to ear with joy !!

my Thumlers Tumbler is 45 years old and still running like a champ, it has had at least 5 or 6 "belt" replacements which is just a large "O" Ring, i do not recall the size, but it is easily obtained at your local Ace Hardware store.

You are correct, they do sell SS media! However, they only sell the 3/64" x 1/2" long pins. The 1/2" pin length is a little too long.

The media size that is recommended is <span style="color: #FF0000">0.040"Dia x 0.25"lg</span>.

If you get a pin dia bigger than 3/64"(0.040") it will not pass thru the primer flash hole and tends to want to stick in the flash hole!

Also, Kramers has a 50lb min order and was rather pricey per pound from what I recall.

The price per pound that my contact was selling at was right around $9.25/lb with 5lb being the normal order. This is the correct amount for tumbling in a Thumlers Tumbler Model "B". OR any other 15lb capacity tumbler for that matter.

We tried different length medias and settled with the above listed size! The 1/2" long media log jambs in the case necks a shit load due to the length. Most guys are cleaning 223's and 308's with it. 223 brass every once in awhile will get the media log jamb in the case neck while shaking out the media. If you hold the case under water and shake it out they tend to fall out rather easy. With 1/2" long media they tend to get packed into the 223's and not freely move about inside the cases. Thus they tend not to clean the inside of the cases as well. This also occurs with 308's and any other bottle neck case that has a neck diameter smaller than 1/4".

Lastly, with 1/4" long pins you have twice as many ends to the pins than with 1/2" media. The end of the pins is what does most of the hard work. You get twice as much cleaning action with 1/4"lg pins than with 1/2"

Think about it before you spend $$$ for them. We played with lots of media and settled with what we have.

If you decide to buy SS media get the 0.040"dia x .25"lg.

Food for thought!

Terry

Dusty walnut ( lizard litter ) and corn cobb aint so bad. all I do is dust the brass off with my air compressor and that's that.

The stainless media looks interesting as I already have a tumblers tumbler.

I got a Thumlers tumbler and used the SS media for the first time last week. What a difference. After tumbling in corncob for 8 hours with Dillon polish then putting those "cleaned" cases in the tumbler with SS media made the water inside turn black. The brass now looks much brighter, better than new.

Yeah, I have had a couple guys PM saying that they cleaned their <span style="font-weight: bold">clean</span> brass with the SS media and was amazed! All the black water is the carbon from the inside of the case.

I have also had guys PM about cleaning the ratty range brass that was green. They all said that 8hrs with warm water and dish soap made them look like new brass out of the bag.

Awhile back a buddy came over and was just starting to reload. I gave him a 30 cal can full of 45 brass that I had picked up from the club after IDPA shoots. The brass did look like new brass. He got all upset thinking I was giving him 1000 new brass. Then I showed him what I was tumbling! Needless to say he went with a tumbler and SS media.

Most all guys comment about the <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">BLACK WATER</span></span> that comes out of the tumbler. Even with the brass that they had tumbled prior with a different method.

Thanks for posting your results.

Terry

What is Leminshine? (or is it Lemonshine?) Is it citrus based? I ask because I have had really good luck with hot water, Dawn, and a tablespoon of lemon juice in a small two barrel rock tumbler. I can see the SS pins helping the action, but it only takes 30 minutes or so with my concoction to get really clean brass (not QUITE as clean as the pics here, but MUCH cleaner than dry media)>
-Rob

Limishine I found at Wallyworld. It is down from the Ivory/Dawn/Joy etc and it is right next to the pellets for the automatic dishwashers. Generally on top shelf in the section with the rinses that are used to remove spots. I use a 40S&W fired case as a measuring device. Bottle was 3.66 here. I figure a bottle will run about a hundred loads of brass.
I believe the deal is to soften water with it. It won't google so I went out and got my bottle. Here is the contact/info http

http://www.envirocontech.com/products/Learn-More-about-Lemi-Shine.html

I also got a bottle of lemon juice and am going to try a capful???? of it.

If you're using a Thumbler sized drum, you may want to try about 2-3 Tablespoons of L-juice. Just a guess, but like all this, it's not an exact science.

Thanks for the info on the Lemonshine...I'll check it out at Stupid...er, Super....Walmart next time I'm there.

-Rob

Here is what your looking for! Its right where Hummer says. Top shelf atleast at the store I get it from, and Hummers Walmart too.

DSC00424.jpg

Terry

I've been throwing a 7-08 case in with all the loads I've done the last few days and the case still weighs the same according to my RCBS digi scale. It has about 30 hours of time in the tumbler so far. It looks more like it's gold plated not polished brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yotefever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been throwing a 7-08 case in with all the loads I've done the last few days and the case still weighs the same according to my RCBS digi scale. It has about 30 hours of time in the tumbler so far. It looks more like it's gold plated not polished brass. </div></div>

I did the same thing with a 308 Hornady match case for about 6 months! Every load I tumbled It was tossed in with it. I did not loose any noticable weight in that time period so I quit doing it.

Terry

Yes it will work harden brass to a very slight extent but considering no known US Commercial brass meets the hardness requirements of 7.62 NATO STANAG and/or the M118/M72 ammo, it is beneficial to have it hardened.

Think about it, US commercial ammo is quite soft and can only be loaded a few times where NATO, Commercial Foreign i.e. DWM etc are quite hard and be loaded many times. Thusly any hardening effect from the slight hammering is probably not measurable.

I have loaded and fired the same 30.06 cases in the same rifle for a number of years at Camp Perry and they held up beautifully. On the other hand commercial cases wouldn't hold up one season.

I have one 30.06 M72 Match case I have loaded 157 times and still doing fine. I have also loaded M118 Match brass 75+ times and still going fine.

If you have access to a Rockwell Test Machine, LC brass will Rockwell B36 or thereabouts. I never did any commercial. I suspect commercial brass is around B30. Anybody out there that can ding some brass and tell us? Do it down just above the rim about .200 is where we need it the hardest.

There are five ranges on 7.62 NATO brass. The hardest section being as above .200" up from rim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have loaded and fired the same 30.06 cases in the same rifle for a number of years at Camp Perry and they held up beautifully. On the other hand commercial cases wouldn't hold up one season.</div></div>

The commercial ones may be smaller in OD and so they expand more when shot. There are other factors bedsides hardness which determine reload-ability.

Others experiences may differ but I have never found a new unfired 30.06 that did not measure .465 on base. Now 308 is different, commercial measures .465 but LC measures 468. If anyone has new 30.06 or 308 unfired that differs from these dimensions let us know.
Chamber size affects things. My chambers run on the tight side. If you have a jumbo chamber expansion will be high really working the brass to bring it down.
Then the commercial brass is much softer than military and is the deciding factor because even in tight chambers primer pockets get loose quick. Commercial brass is also much lighter.

So yes chamber size does affect things but bottom line is hard case heads last longer because they are not affected as much by the pressures.

Has anyone else gotton a large number of 308 or 30.06 reloads on commercial brass (US Made?) and the German stuff runs hard and the IMI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible that this SS media migh work harden the brass over successive cleanings? </div></div>

Not again lol. This method does not work harden the brass. Work hardening is when you hit the metal hard with something like a hammer that changes the structure of the metal. These are very light, tiny, metal rods that scrub the brass. No pounding of brass going on here.

While waiting for my SS media to arrive I decided to see if my Thumler's Model A's drums are watertight. I put 50 223 cases in each of the 2 6lb drums with hot water and dish detergent. I let them spin for a couple of hours. When I pour out the contents I get blackwater. The cases were fairly clean but the necks and shoulders still had some carbon on them. Today I got some Lemi Shine and cleaned another 100 cases but I added a half of a pound of copper plated BB's to the mix and let it spin. The cases came out looking like new except for the junction of the neck where the BB's can't make contact. One of the cases was jammed with 15 BBs and it took some prying to get them out. Also the WCC cases had a slight copper hue to them.

The only way to go !!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are using a rotary tumbler (Like a Thumlers Tumbler). I started using Stainless Steel media. It last forever and does one hell of a job cleaning. 3-4 hours of tumbling with warm water, Joy or Dawn dish soap will get the looking clean as new! I deprime all my brass prior to tumbling and after they are done there is not carbon inside the pocket, case body, or outside anywhere. I only use corn cob with a little non-ammonia based cleaner added to it to clean off sizing lube!

Picture of stainless media!

media1.jpg

Some 40 S&W brass dumped into my separator!

media2.jpg

Cleaned 40 S&W Brass

media3.jpg

Tumbler and Media In action! I made a Clear Lexan Lid so I can see my progress!

DSCI0005-2.jpg

After I have them all cleaned I toss them onto a towel and dry them off as much as I can. Then they go into my home made brass drying box! It's a 800rnd 5.56 M27 linked ammo can with a 67watt Light bulb, and a axial fan to keep the air flow. I also have several holes drilled into the lid and a couple below where the fan is. leave them in over night and they are dry as a bone the next morning.

Picture of the drying box.

DSCI0001-5.jpg

I will not use any other method! Its quick, Extremely clean, and no corn cob or walnut stuck in the primer pockets or flash holes.

Terry </div></div>

Would you happen to have any of the SS media that you could/would sell to me?
I only nwwd enough for my Thumlers Tumbler barrel.

Great information!! Thanks for sharing it.

What size is the media? I went to Kramer Industries and the have several sizes of the SS pins.

What size drill did you use for the holes in the plastic media cleaning/recovery container?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JEGNM2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great information!! Thanks for sharing it.

What size is the media? I went to Kramer Industries and the have several sizes of the SS pins.

What size drill did you use for the holes in the plastic media cleaning/recovery container? </div></div>

The info you are looking for is on page #5 of this thread! The hole size is drilled smaller than the media diameter.

Terry

The medium is in the mail, said the secret media man.
The gentleman mentioned a strainer and 2 dishpans to sort the media from brass and liquid.
I did not write it down, anyone know what size pans work best?

Stainless media is the best. I was worried about wear when I started, so I weighed a .375 Weatherby case and tumbled it in with MANY (Probably 20-25) interations of LC Match brass, then re-weighed it, there was no difference...and it was the cleanest piece of brass you've ever seen in your life. Once you get to the process, you'll never, ever go back.

Lightload, I am using 18 qt dishpans, they are a little big. You could probably go down to 12 qt. Re strainer I am using a set of 3 I found at Wallyworld, they are metal and the finest screen they had. Also be sure and get a magnet to pick up all the stray pieces.

Terry here is the man he got me squared away in this area, brass comes out like new!!!

Thanks agin Terry

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JEGNM2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great information!! Thanks for sharing it.

What size drill did you use for the holes in the plastic media cleaning/recovery container? </div></div>

The info you are looking for is on page #5 of this thread! The hole size is drilled smaller than the media diameter.

Terry </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words Bill! I try to help fellow shooters whenever possible!

Mark deserves the big thanks! He is the one handling all the media, Bagging, shipping and so on! I just posted how I did it and it exploded! Thanks to Mark and his efforts, lots of media converts out there now!

Also, he is just a great guy to bullshit with!

Thanks Mark for the years of clean brass I have had, and other great thing I have learned from you!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lightload</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My media arrived as promised.
Very Happy.
Thanks. The tumbler is next, after the transmission in the jeep. </div></div>

Check your PM's! There may be a tumbler in your near future!

Terry

got my media a couple of weeks ago...pretty nice stuff...I do need to do some side by side testing against just soapy water and lemon juice as I was unable to see much difference on the first trial run...maybe, just maybe, the primer pockets were cleaner.

However, I do plan to test further to see what happens. Tell me again, how long are you tumbling for that better than new look you have on the pistol brass on the first couple pages?

-Rob

My old tumbler is on its last legs and I was searching for recommendations on another one at ARFCOM and found this info linked there.

Please PM me about the stainless media. Thanks for sharing.

J

I know I'm late to the party, but my media came today and I wanted to post my results. First, let me say that the media arrived just as promised and Mark is extremely nice to deal with. He kept me apprised throughout the order process and it was extremely fast and efficient. Thanks to Terry for posting this info.

I started off with about 200 pieces of 45 brass. I had one piece of old 458 SOCOM brass that was extremely corroded (see photos below). I mixed as indicated previously in the thread. I used Dawn, Lemishine, and 5 pounds of media and let it run for 4 hours. The results speak for themselves. I also provided a before and after of the 458 SOCOM brass so you can see for yourself what a great job it did.

A big thank you to Mark and Terry for this!

125752767.2siAwhZf.jpg

125752770.EJqPSbbJ.jpg

125752774.hFYzE3fZ.jpg

125752776.uHzPFYW1.jpg

125752780.k9SpVdSE.jpg

125752784.V1YjY2Gw.jpg

125752786.JSKpge5P.jpg

125752788.gs1Jek8C.jpg

125752794.4D4EKUPB.jpg