• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Mercury Marine layoffs

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
So on top of inflation which we all know is real but you have sleepy Joe saying it isn't so and jobs being created and people are making more money etc...

Then why is Mercury Marine laying off nearly 400 people from the first go around in April to another almost 300 thru this July?

Costs on everything are up and not everyone is running out buying boats and boat motors right now.

I just see more of this coming down the road in other areas of manufacturing. Not just boats.

true. there is some truth to the idea that the rich keep the economy stimulated. the middle class doesn't buy yachts and private planes. seems like the super rich destroy it by replacing people with machines/computers. but,i have been accused of being a radical luddite.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Motor boating can be an expensive hobby
IMG_6512.jpeg

Eventually, in the high interest rate high inflation environment we common folks actually live in thanks to lying Jo and his puppet masters, we run out of disposable cash to buy and maintain toys and we stop spending. I agree Frank, stuff like this is the tip of the iceberg we are running into that our lying government claims doesn’t exist. They can say the sky is not falling all they want and lie about “the lowest unemployment ever” and the “plummeting rate of violent crime”, etc; only their brainless sheep drink that cool aid, the rest of us can actually do simple math, see the truth, and yell “fore” as we duck for cover.

I wonder if those people losing their jobs in Wisconsin will let the vote stealers bum rush the election again with boxes of fake Brandon ballets at the last minute in their state like in 2020?? Seems if they are out of work, they might have time to keep a closer eye on things or maybe stage a protest like all the apparently never have to be at work liberals causing trouble all the time.

I get it. But I still try to do my part to keep then in business. Spent Father's day weekend burning up some non-ethanol premium. Makes pew pews look cheap.
The new mercury outboards are around 90k each.

View attachment 8442865
When did outboards start costing that much coin? And why? The whole point of outboards were they were easier to service, and replace, and cheaper.

I feel for the folks that lost/are loosing their jobs but I breathe a sigh of relief everyday I go to work knowing that our repair side will stay busy-ish. Want to fix it right? Cool! Want to do the patch, polish, and pray route? Also cool. We get paid either way.

Reactions: gigamortis
as a "yoot" with a middle class family, we could afford a nice boat for weekends and such. 100HP motor, we all could ski, fish, whatever.

With car and boat prices now, I'm hard pressed in a upper middle class to find money for such things. Inflation is a bitch.

Still trying to convice my son he doesn't need a 70k fishing boat with a 200HP engine. That's just stupid. Like showing up to a rimfire match with a 33XC. We've lost our minds.

And what I think is stupid is all these people financing boats for 20yrs. Aint everbody can afford $100,000 bassboats. And then pay luxury tax on it and then pay insurance. If you can’t afford high dollar toys dont buy them!!

Reactions: BScore
Boats are stupid right now. Bought mine 4 years ago. I blew my mercury motor and the only way I could buy a motor during covid was to buy a boat with it.

So the northriver i bought, which has zero changes since 2020 is 83% more expensive. There is no way in hell it should be 118k for a base boat with no electronics or even guages.

I am seeing no shortage of Mercurys in coastal NC........Tons of manufatcturers use them as OEM. Yamaha guy myself but just saying Mecury has made huge strides in units hung in the last 10 years. Boat prices are nuts. Could sell my offshore boat and bayboat for what I paid for them over 10 years ago. Crazy. Sit on our dock and watch one after the other of 350,000 to 1.2 million dollar center consoles roll up the ditch.

Look at the motorcycle industry, the sport car industry, any other hobby industry. All taking a hit because people don’t have that disposable income anymore.

If you don’t believe that go speak to your people in the service industry and how they don’t get shit for tips. I for one don’t tip near as much as I used to.

Combine that with how EVERYONE wants a fuckin tip now days. No joke last week DR appointment when I went to pay co pay it asked me to tip. Lmao.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Bender and nikonNUT
Look at the motorcycle industry, the sport car industry, any other hobby industry. All taking a hit because people don’t have that disposable income anymore.

If you don’t believe that go speak to your people in the service industry and how they don’t get shit for tips. I for one don’t tip near as much as I used to.

Combine that with how EVERYONE wants a fuckin tip now days. No joke last week DR appointment when I went to pay co pay it asked me to tip. Lmao.
My rule is if I order standing up no tip

I am seeing no shortage of Mercurys in coastal NC........Tons of manufatcturers use them as OEM. Yamaha guy myself but just saying Mecury has made huge strides in units hung in the last 10 years. Boat prices are nuts. Could sell my offshore boat and bayboat for what I paid for them over 10 years ago. Crazy. Sit on our dock and watch one after the other of 350,000 to 1.2 million dollar center consoles roll up the ditch.
That’s because Grady white and Boston whaler both use mercury as their OEM motors the most prolific boats on the east coast…….

Reactions: 101st
Not here. Onslow Bay, Parker, Yellowfin, Regulator, Fountain, Freeman, Cape Horn etc NC SC and Fla boats by far. GW is NC and we see a fair amount but not among many fisherman. BW very rare down here.

Hard times are comin', and i'm not being sarcastic. It's gonna take a little time to get there, but we're headed there. Best thing you can do for yourself, is eliminate as much debt as you can, and unload as many financial liabilities as you can over the next year.

Branden

Ours has a s/b chevy engine, running an "inboard/outboard" and we think it is reliable'er than outboards. Puts out some good hp and gets our 'home away from home' (yes, we live on it) up and planing quite well.

It really is something, when you're "piloting" a house. No, it's not a houseboat.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Feel like ive been reading this theory for 10 years, yet all those things continue to get more expensive, not less.

Been looking for a small bunk house style travel trailer for hunting out of. Prices are starting to come down. However they are selling pretty fast when priced at what is call normal. Shopping in the $6-10k range and have missed multiple in the last couple weeks. I would also add that at most of the over priced ones have loans on them.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Your right, a boat is not a necessity.
Speak for yourself. Take away AnnaEleise and Brenda would kill me, not that I would be terribly happy about not having her myself. Heck, she’s been a member of the family since 1990, and now sailing again after Hurricane Laura did its absolute best to destroy little Anna.

IMG_2204.jpeg

Speak for yourself. Take away AnnaEleise and Brenda would kill me, not that I would be terribly happy about not having her myself. Heck, she’s been a member of the family since 1990, and now sailing again after Hurricane Laura did its absolute best to destroy little Anna.

View attachment 8443232
Fuckin' blow boater! :LOL: I'm picking at ya man, don't hate. I did have one come in my shop wanting some new plexi hatches machined and asked the cost. I was slow and figured I'd just stack them all and cut them all at once so I quoted him $100.00 (This was 25 years ago) for set-up, a simple program, and a trim in the CNC and he said "Wow! That's kinda high." I told him just becuase the wind was free didn't mean everything else is.

I don't have much to add to the discussion and my words likely won't be of any comfort to the Mercury Marine employees impacted by this, but this has to be terrible for them considering the boom they had just a few years ago. I'd have to imagine many of them expanded their lifestyles (aka expenses) assuming that some of that profit 'trickled down' to them if by no other means than the OT they likely were pulling during that time.

Not so eloquent of words- but damn I know that's an absolute bitch right now and I reckon I can surmise how they're feeling as that's a bit of a niche career field impacted. I suppose I can intellectually grasp why it's happening but that doesn't help answer how they're going to feed their children next month which is what I assume many of them are worried about at the moment.

Unfortunately- and I hate to say it but I project there's going to be a bit more of our country in this position before the year ends and that... well that also supremely sucks for them (not meant as a 'slight' either). And the ones not directly impacted by the first wave of this- well they're going to feel the affects too wondering if they'll be next on the proverbial 'chopping block'. That's likely going to have an impact on production and create a gravity 'suck'.

I'd like to be a 'glass half full person' but while I sincerely do sympathize with the MM employees today, I can't but worry if this isn't just one indication of the storm clouds coming our way. Thoughts and prayers for the MM folks and their families tonight.

-LD