• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Mid range optic advice

eviljarv

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi guys, I have an AR-15 currently built for mid range with a krieger barrel, JP lmos parts, etc that I've been using on a few FT/R matches and going to try some local PRS matches with it also. Currently I'm using my old SWFA 10x fixed with it and it does fine with steel but leaves me wanting more magnification for the F class targets so I think it's time to upgrade. What would you guys recommend In the $1000 range? I've been looking at the PST gen 2, burris XTR 2 and Athlon Ares since they seem to be getting good reviews here, anything else I should be considering? For a couple hundred more I could get a Gen 1 Razor HD if it's a significant upgrade, just want to be smart about spending so would like to hear your opinion on scopes and what magnification would be best. Thanks in advance.

Vortex will likely be the best for FFP but for F-Class I'm guessing you want high mag and SFP is fine? Thinner the reticle the better? Nightforce makes a scope that isn't too pricey and can probably be had used for somewhere around there. Forget the model, it's SFP though and they have 'em in high mag ranges. Is it the NXS? Not the ATACR models though.

I just got a Viper PST 1-4x and for a $350 scope, it's damn fine! I was impressed. I bought it to be a nice scope for a custom integral 10-22 and it sure delivered. Only complaint is I wish it had .25 or even .1 turrets instead of .5, but it wasn't designed for .22 use originally. And it would make a great optic on a more serious caliber rifle. The SFP reticle isn't that big but it isn't that fine either. They come thinner for F-class.

Lots of high end mfg.'s make cheaper scopes, like Zeiss, Steiner, etc., but some are only good for hunting, many are missing features you may want or may not need. Many are SFP. If you can find one that suits you, that may be a way to go --if you don't need a bunch of options, then there are likely a lot of good options.

Go to Eurooptic and Optics Planet and use their filter to find what you want, to narrow it down. Try to put the minimum of info in it or else it eliminates some possible candidates by accident. Try different search parameters if you don't see what you are looking for, because it's there.

A really great deal can be had on here from time to time, depending on what you are looking for. Lots of high mag scopes. An older, high end model with less features may be just the ticket.

If your plans are for F-Class you should look into the Vortex Golden Eagle, and the Sightron SIII with 1/8 MOA turrets. I believe they are both in, or close enough to your price range that you should consider them.

The high end Athlon's are great scopes but they are all FFP. Usually with FFP the reticle gets a bit too thick on higher powers for F-Class style shooting.

I haven't shot F-Class for a long time now, I'm sure a current F-Class shooter can chime in soon enough and give you a better picture of the current optic market.

Dual purpose optics for both F Class and PRS matches is a tough nut to crack as they require different things from the scope.
You might be able to use an XTR II 8-40 in both games, it is MOA only but is FFP and features an extensive hold over reticle.
It is just over your price bracket.
Other than that, a good 6-24 would likely fill a dual role pretty well.
Bushnell. Vortex and Sightron offer very well made scopes in 6-24

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to be more clear, my goal is to start doing PRS style matches once my local club starts scheduling them again, most clubs stop doing them here in Arizona during the summer cause of heat so I started doing the F class matches to get more trigger time and to learn to read the wind but my main goal is to do more practical style matches, that's why I'm looking at FFP scopes in MRADs. As long as I can do ok in F class I'm happy, the only issue I have right now it's that with the SWFA 10x at 500 yards I can see the target just fine but I can't tell the rings apart, specially the X and 10 rings cause they are 2.5" and 5" respectively so it's hard to tell if my misses where cause I read the wind wrong or cause I was aiming wrong so I think more magnification would help there. Originally I was looking at the PST gen 2 line of scopes but lately I'd been leaning towards the Athlon Ares scopes, either the 2.5-15or 4.5-27, maybe a Razor Gen 1 or Athlon Cronus BTR but I think those 2 might be a little overkill for a 600 yard AR.
Thanks again for your help

Last edited: