• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors military security clearance

Re: military security clearance

ok i was just curious thanks guys. ive been thinking about getting a suppressor just didnt know how easy or difficult it is to get and i was hoping that my clearence would help but i guess not

It will not help at all. In fact, they will see that you have finger prints onfile at the FBI and it will cause them to have to investigate why. You probably already know that you go to the second level for an instant check (If you have a TS). This may cause you to be delayed in obtaining a firearm if they are busy or lazy.

I've seen it as 50/50 somedays I'm in and out within 30 minutes others it'll take a day or so. More so than anything I believe it'll hold you back more than benefit you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentSniperVT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend had a Military Security clearance and every time he buys a gun they hold it for 72 hours, where i can walk in and walk out with a gun in 45 minutes </div></div>

Exactly! I sell firearms on a military post and the guys with clearances almost always go to a "further review" or the 3 day wait.

Dave

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me about this "further review"? I have held and active TS/SCI for years and have never had any transaction last longer than 30min. Could it be a state by state thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentSniperVT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend had a Military Security clearance and every time he buys a gun they hold it for 72 hours, where i can walk in and walk out with a gun in 45 minutes </div></div>

I have and have had military/nuclear plant clearances for several years and used to always be delayed. About 10 years ago I got fed up and called them with my NTN#. Was told by a female agent that I would always be delayed because of clearances in my file. Hung up and called right back. Got a male agent that called BS on what she said. So I requested, received and sent the form to get a written answer as to why I was delayed. Never got the written reply that their own rules say they are required to send but I've never been delayed since. No idea what they did in my file or why but they fixed it.

By now in the military you should know that government agencies don't share info with each other. This would mean the military did a background check on you to get your clearance but they won't give the info to anyone else, so you're just another Joe. I had personal experience with this after a clearance to work with nukes in the Air Force. Your clearance don't mean crap to anyone other than the agency you work for. Government at it's finest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If a nuclear reactor operator just ups and buys several hand guns and an AR one day, it is a lot more dangerous if he goes into work and "Goes Postal" than if he worked at an insurance company.
It's not more likely that he will, but it is a change in activity and those with certain types of clearances are monitored.
</div></div>

Bullshit.

And if you have actual knowledge that the FBI is using the NICS system in this manner, please let me know immediately, so I can become very rich with a lawsuit against the government.

your clearance has absolutely NOTHING to do with your wait and is not part of the FBI quick background check. It is not in the general system. If folks are telling you this then they are simply wrong.

You should keep your clearance info rather low keyed. Do not talk about it. There are only several systems that can, with an offical request confirm your clearance, and FYI, clearances are getting much tougher to obtain and keep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renegade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clearances are not part of the NICS system and they will not show up in a standard FBI Fingerprint check for NFA. </div></div>Correct, clearances are normally in one of two data bases though there are others obviously but none of them are checked when purchasing firearms or suppressors because they do not have access to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've held a security clearance for over 20yrs and I've never been delayed even once. </div></div>
You won't get delayed if you use your SSN on the 4473

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carried a TS; never delayed. </div></div>

How many times did you go to the second level? (Or do they tell you when you buy a gun?) I go every time and the one time I didn't use my SSN, they delayed me for a day and then called back.

Its not that your clearance is on file, its that the FBI has a record of an investigation via the Fingerprint card (If you have a TS) This is what I believe to be true. The initial check shows you have a fingerprint card on file in the Interstate Identification Index . If you use your SSN, they check the Triple I for criminal records and can then see that despite the presence of a FP card, you have not actually committed a crime. They may not know you have a clerance, they just know you do not have a criminal record in Triple I. (Interstate Identification Index)

the fact that it doesn't matter is what is wrong with the system. Also, the fact that you have to complete new print cards every time you submit to the ATF is also stupid and costly. It is just another bureaucratic event that the government wastes money on. It is as if computers and automation is not used or valued in this old and archaic system that the ATF uses.

I must have 10-15 print cards with various agencies within the government to include hands, fingers, feet and also DNA swabs multiple times to include blood and swab. If I ever commit a crime they have me cold. And, also Iris scans and facial recognition biometric data that would get me caught too. I guess I will just have to be nice the rest of my life.

Why shouldn't that be taken into consideration? Just wasting money I guess.

Well, I have a clue, and what I posted is based upon research and first hand knowledge. I am by no means an expert, just someone that does a little investigation before he posts. I too have dozens of approvals in the last year, but I also know some of the following to be true:

Some stores do not inform you that your check went to the second level to avoid the hassle of explaining why (because they are not told why and do not care if you are approved)

<span style="font-weight: bold">NICS queries the following databases:</span>

Interstate Identification Index (III): The III maintains millions of criminal history records.

National Crime Information Center (NCIC): The NCIC maintains data specific to persons who are the subject of protection orders, criminal warrants, etc.

NICS Index: The NICS Index maintains information (not located in the III or the NCIC) about persons who are federally prohibited the transfer of a firearm pursuant to the Brady Act.

Also, a search of the applicable databases of the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is conducted on all non-U.S. citizens.

The III is comprised of three separate database repositories, one of which is the National Fingerprint File. If you have a TS clearance, you have at least one card in their if not more. (It does seem insane to submit a new card every update)

I have sent an email asking for clarification on the process of receiving an initial flag (FP card on file) and determining that no actual criminal record exists. It does make sense that an initial flag is raised due to the presence of an FP Card but when they access the Criminal History Record Information within the III(CHRI)(Level 2? I am not sure) which is only used to store criminal information.

See below

Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) is defined as :
Information collected by criminal justice agencies on individuals consisting of identifiable descriptions and notations of arrests, detentions, indictments, information, or other formal criminal charges, and any disposition arising there from, including acquittal, sentencing, correctional supervision, and release.

This does not include:
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">a. identification information such as fingerprint records if such information does not indicate involvement of the individual in criminal activity (i.e. employment)</span></span>

b. requests for confirmation of active warrants.

It is the lack of records in the CHRI that I believe clears you if you get a ping on your FP card. My belief mind you. I have sent an email to confirm this belief.

I will post here if I get a reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBLACKBISHOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me about this "further review"? I have held and active TS/SCI for years and have never had any transaction last longer than 30min. Could it be a state by state thing? </div></div>

Actually there are three status provide by the NICS:

If the information matched by the NICS is not a valid match or no prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL they may PROCEED with the firearm transaction. The FFL must record the NICS Transaction Number (NTN) on line 21b of the ATF Form 4473 and retain the form for auditing purposes.

If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the FFL will receive the following instructions:

“. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”

The presence of your SSN quickly allows the analyst to eleminate you from the CHRI. If you do not use it (SSN), they have to check field by field on Name DOB POB etc.

I have never had one take more than 2-3 minutes. (Even when I got delayed)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renegade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clearances are not part of the NICS system, and they will not show up in a standard FBI Fingerprint check for NFA.</div></div>

+1, it has nothing to do with clearance or lack thereof.

In fact, my last individual tax-paid Form 4 transfer took exactly 11 days from when I mailed the paperwork to ATF until I had the approved Form 4 with $200 tax stamp affixed back in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carried a TS; never delayed. </div></div>

How many times did you go to the second level? (Or do they tell you when you buy a gun?) I go every time and the one time I didn't use my SSN, they delayed me for a day and then called back.</div></div>

Don't know. It's never taken more than three to five minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Never delayed, approval in seconds. More approvals than the number of posters in this thread in less than a 2yr period.

A LOT of posters in this thread have ZERO CLUE what they are talking about.... </div></div>

+1

I've never had any sort of hold up/wait because of clearance.

Although my form 4 took the standard 4 months of sitting under a pile in the corner of a dark office

Was TS/SCI (since lapsed). Purchased a new 1911 while still with the clearance - was cleared over the phone before the guy could pick up his pen to write something down.

He called it in, and I was GTG. I fret it not. Purchased since letting it lapse - GTG in seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the clearence clarence? </div></div>

Surely you can't be serious! </div></div>

I'm laughing just a little bit that you didn't get the joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renegade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clearances are not part of the NICS system and they will not show up in a standard FBI Fingerprint check for NFA. </div></div>

Your clearance does not show up, but the presence of your FP card shows up in the Interstate identification Index, which IS a part of the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the clearence clarence? </div></div>

Surely you can't be serious! </div></div>

I'm laughing just a little bit that you didn't get the joke. </div></div>

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?