• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Miniature Diesel Engine

Re: Miniature Diesel Engine

Well these are the ones I designed/made parts for. You can walk around in the combustion chamber of ones slightly bigger than this one. So I could do it but with a team of machinists but so could anyone else who's ever put together an engine. Pretty damn cool little engine.

(Had to block out some propriety things)
2nkubo4.jpg

wow, that is just amazing. I would love to see that in person, let alone build it my self...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 minutes of video but you have to wonder how many hours it took to do that. Talent and patience. </div></div>

and from what I got out of 3 years of Spanish and a little bit of google translate, it has 261 pieces, 222 screws and took 1220 hours of work.

From the youtube link: The gentleman is a Spanish grandfather, the engine was dedicated to his granchildren. It is not for sale. Other than the fasteners he made all components.

Motor runs on compressed air.

261 parts
222 screws
1220 hours

stainless steel aluminum and bronze.
youtube link

How much fuel does it use? 1 gallon a year!
grin.gif

Since a young kid I was always fascinated with model planes. I've wondered if it would be possible to put a miniature diesel in a plane and run it using JetA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much fuel does it use? 1 gallon a year!
grin.gif

</div></div>

That depends on what powers your air compressor.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Motor runs on compressed air.

youtube link </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is utterly amazing about that is that he is doing that with old style linear vernier... a manual lathe... a bench grinder.

This is a guy who apprenticed as a toolmaker/machinist LONG before the days of Solidworks and digital CNC.

THAT is a craftsman..

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

THIS^^^^^^^^

It's called a diesel engine probably because it's got no spark plugs. When you think about it, a diesel engine does sort of run on compresses air. What do you think ignites the gas when there's no spark plug?
wink.gif

Compressed fuel and air in the right ratio.

That device does not use fuel. It does not create power. It is closer to a windmill than an engine.

I'm pretty sure it could run off of fuel, but it would definitely also need glow plugs to get the thing started. Cold diesel engines of any size are a bitch to get started. Especially 2-stroke diesel engines.

I could do it, but it would take a lot longer, result in many curse words, scrapped parts and bloodied knuckles lol, and probably a destroyed computer or two.

The man is a true craftsman, very cool video.

My Brother contracts out the machine work, then assembles and sells replica old-time McCoy .049 Diesel model airplane engines for use in nostalgis model airplane events. Clearly not anything in the same class as the O/P, but still worthy of note.

Technically, the device in the program is not an engine, but a motor. It operates by employing an externally produced energy source, in a manner somewhat similar to the way an electric motor does.

Greg

High Binder I am very jealous. I am an orthopaedic surgeon. The things I make/fix only last a lifetime. Engineers can design/build things that last millenia....that has to be very rewarding.
Thanks for the link!! This is a really nice video and I loved sharing it with my kids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High Binder I am very jealous. I am an orthopaedic surgeon. The things I make/fix only last a lifetime. Engineers can design/build things that last millenia....that has to be very rewarding.
</div></div>

It is rewarding to have a tangible product at the end but I could say the same thing for your job. Especially since, I have to see my orthopedic surgeon this week after my MRI to schedule my own knee surgery (take II). So it may not be a 'tangible' product that lasts forever but it sure does improve the quality of one's life.