• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Minox riflescopes

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
My boss has asked me to help him put together a good all purpose hunting rifle. We are on a pretty tight budget. The rifle is taken care of, as I picked up a Remington LTR in McMillan HTG stock.

Working on the optic now and needing to stay <$500. He is used to using really lower priced optics bought at wal mart.

I am looking at a bunch of options, but have been getting interested in the Minox ZA5 2-10x40. Pretty simple optic, uses quality glass, and seems to have what he needs. That would be quality glass for the dollar, and a very nice magnification range for hunting. Minox seems to have a good reputation as far as lower priced hunting optics, but I have never actually used one.

I dont want to make a big mistake given I am doing this to help my boss. (I like my job, BTW, LOL)

Anybody running one of these have an opinion for me? I want something that will hold zero, and impress him with the quality of the glass relative to the lower end stuff he has used in the past.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Re: Minox riflescopes

I am considering the Conquest as well, but the budget is tight.

I think I can get a better deal on the Minox, and I really think the 2-10 power range would make for a great power range for this application.

Not ruling anything out, but I am pretty interested in learning more about the Minox.

I saw a couple of good reviews on the Minox over at 24hourcampfire.com, let me know if you can't find them and I'll go look.

Heard lots of good things and the open box specials from cameralandny.com are hard to beat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he has any desire to learn tactical shooting, dialing the dope, etc then what about the SS 3-9 mil/mil as well?

J </div></div>

He and I have discussed this Jason, and he is not going to ever go that route.

I discussed both options with him, as far as learning the data on the bullet drop for whatever load we settle on and then dialing the dope and holding dead on. Versus picking a good load and then finding the Max point blank range and just holding dead on from point blank to 325 yards, or wherever the MPBR ends up.

He definitely prefers the simplicity of the MPBR system.

So, we are going that route. He is totally just a hunter, not a shooter. He just knows I am a bit of a gun nut, and he has handled some of my gear and he decided he wanted something a little better than an off the shelf $5-600 setup.

I think he will be real happy with the rifle we got him, just trying to find him a quality optic and stay under budget.

3x9-40 in the Conquest fits the bill with dollars to spare. Can't be beat for the price. Why go with something unknown to most when the Conquest line has been proven. Again, Meopta is on par with the Conquest line but a little pricier.

Eddie

I have had some issues with Conquests. Not ruling them out, but I wouldnt mind trying something different, with quality glass for the price. I can get a better deal for my boss on the Minox as well. Plus, I find the 2-10 intriguing.

Still looking, will likely decide tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Eurooptic website.I've done business with him before.I considered getting one for a hunting rig.Think they are made in the Czech Republic and the USA,nothing fancy and no target turrets.Good glass too. </div></div>

Excellent warranty and customer service as well.

I had a k-dot that had intermintent illumination. I sent it to their facility in NY for inspection/repair. They couldn't duplicate my problem so they sent me a brand new scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had some issues with Conquests. Not ruling them out, but I wouldnt mind trying something different, with quality glass for the price. I can get a better deal for my boss on the Minox as well. Plus, I find the 2-10 intriguing.

Still looking, will likely decide tomorrow.</div></div>

What type of issues have you had with Conquests? You are the first person I have ever heard say the had issues with them. I have never seen a thread on the net where someone has had to send one back for repair. I am sure some have, but I have never heard or read about any issues.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had some issues with Conquests. Not ruling them out, but I wouldnt mind trying something different, with quality glass for the price. I can get a better deal for my boss on the Minox as well. Plus, I find the 2-10 intriguing.

Still looking, will likely decide tomorrow.</div></div>

What type of issues have you had with Conquests? You are the first person I have ever heard say the had issues with them. I have never seen a thread on the net where someone has had to send one back for repair. I am sure some have, but I have never heard or read about any issues.

Eddie </div></div>

I am pretty sure I documented it in real time as it occurred. Went something like this.

Bought a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 mil dot, from Doug at CameraLandNY. Used it briefly, then "debris" appeared in the image. Contacted Zeiss, no stock. Contacted Doug, he made my problem his problem. Sent me a new one off his shelf on the spot, and then I sent him the bad one. Instead of me waiting, he waited.

Well, guess what? The second scope developed the same problem almost immediately. Doug repeated the process. Then the same thing happened AGAIN. This time when Doug sent me YET ANOTHER, I sold it as soon as I got it.

This is the very reason that all my optics dollars go to one of two gentlemen. Doug at CL or Scott at LibertyOptics. They make my problems their problems, in the rare instances that I have any problems.

Understood. I would probably feel the same way. That's the first negative I've heard. If it happened to me I would probably go a different direction as well. I just hope mine keep running like they should.

Eddie

I use older leupies for all-around-hunting scopes. Vari-x II and III for variables and M8 4X for fixed. I get them off ebay for 100-150$, warranty is the same as a new one so I don't worry about them. I also have a pair of IOR's in 4x and 6x and they are excellent - super clear glass, sturdy, no complaints.

If I were to buy something new in 3-9 for hunting zeiss conquest would be it most likely. Nikon and Bushnell offerings aren't bad either, but I think the conquest has the best glass. No experience with minox or meopta though, sorry.

To the OP

I don't have any experience with the Minox scopes, but i do have a pair Minox 10 power binos that i got probably 8 years ago and they are pretty clear and have held up great over the years. With my experience from the quality of the bino glass i would consider one of there scopes if on a budget IMO