• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

MK12 MOD1

KYS

BBN #1
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2008
Lexington, KY
This is more of a thank you post then anything. To Kevin and Allen Brown at High Caliber Sales. They are new vendors here at the Hide. They make a top notch product and I would like to give Kevin a thumbs up for service. He went above and beyond for me and shipping was super fast.

Here is the MK12 MOD1 upper I got from him all with spec parts. AAC SPR/M4 suppressor and USO scope.

28gvz1h.jpg

Re: MK12 MOD1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiTechTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn fine looking rifle.</div></div>
This. Can't say it any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is more of a thank you post then anything. To Kevin and Allen Brown at High Caliber Sales. They are new vendors here at the Hide. They make a top notch product and I would like to give Kevin a thumbs up for service. He went above and beyond for me and shipping was super fast.

Here is the MK12 MOD1 upper I got from him all with spec parts. AAC SPR/M4 suppressor and USO scope.

28gvz1h.jpg
</div></div>

wow, that rifle is just awesome... barrel length is 18"? midlength gas or rifle length?

Beautiful job by High Caliber. Please let us know how it shoots.
I run an OPS 12th and a USO SN-3 on my 18" Douglas. Results have been outstanding with both 77gr MK262 as well as Hornady 75gr 5.56 T2, certainly not unexpected from the Douglas barrel.
This rifle has a WOA match upper, CLE machined Douglas SPR profile 1/7 barrel/matched bolt, KAC SR-15 lower and has used both my SN-3 USO scopes (1.8-10X37 arrived late).

USO3.jpg

USO10X3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MK12 uses a rifle length gas tube.

Alan </div></div>

And it uses an Ops Inc 12th model can, not an AAC. Also uses a NF or Leupold scope, not USO. Never-the-less, that is one fine looking rifle. I bet it shoots well too. Enjoy it. I'd be proud of it if it were mine.

Good Looking Rifle.
I have not sprung for the OPS stuff yet. I am debating on taking the suppressor jump. Here is where I am at right now. I have only got to shoot the rifle at 100yds and 200yds. Did not group it at 2, but the 100 5 shot was around 3/4" using Black Hills Blue box match 68gr. I have debated about rebuilding this to a true mk12, but I am happy with it now.
Here are the specs
Armalite lower with a Timney skeleton trigger 3.5
DPMS Upper, was going to go WOA but ran across a smoking deal for about half of the retail price.
knights Rifle Match RAS
ARMS High Rings
Leupold mkIII Tactical 3.5-10

DSC03722.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nickh46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent rifle.

Just to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me, is that a set screw gas block?

Also, what kind of trigger are you running with the LWRC lower? The LMT SOPMOD stock is a great choice too, btw.

</div></div>

The gas block uses screws that go into pockets drilled in the barrel. Just for info the LMT SOPMOD stock is not authorized for use on the MK12's, I know we have all seen pictures using this stock. In testing the carbine buffer and spring were not as reliable as the rifle parts.

Alan

Mine is shooting pretty reliably at 500 yards. Im putting all 20 rounds on a 10x24" steel silhouette. Shooting Black Hills 77gr BTHP.

That coupled with the fact that sometimes the rifle length tube and what not are hard to get. But I might look into getting a PRS. Im also NOT worried if this is setup as an identical clone of the MK12. I just wanted the same setup with my personal touch put on it. The military doesn't use USO scopes..... I don't really care. I get better performance with mine then they do with Leupolds. They don't want to run an AAC can? Who cares? I had one sitting here and Im putting it to good use. The upper works for me and thats all Im worried about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The military doesn't use USO scopes..... I don't really care. I get better performance with mine then they do with Leupolds. </div></div>

I wouldnt be so quick to jump to that conclusion
wink.gif

KYshooter,

Thanks a lot for the kind words -- pleased to get you what YOU want.

We can provide all of the parts to produce a very near "as issued" MK12 for a customer, or something different, depending on your needs and desires. This platform is very successful as used by the military -- it is a very versatile weapon.

Think of us for your MK12 needs -- optics, uppers, ammo, parts, armorer services....

Very nice to hear from another happy customer.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The gas block uses screws that go into pockets drilled in the barrel. Just for info the LMT SOPMOD stock is not authorized for use on the MK12's, I know we have all seen pictures using this stock. In testing the carbine buffer and spring were not as reliable as the rifle parts.

Alan </div></div>

This is just for info and not to put down any ones build.

Alan

Here's my variant of the Mark 12. I got it from Monty and Centurion Arms, with a pinned gas block. At Monty's recommendation I opted for a NXS 32 rather then mil-spec 24mm and mounted it on NF Ultralight rings. The lower receiver is a RRA, but I understand there were alot of Mark 12s that used old refurbished Hydramatic lowers rather then Colt.

mark12.png

mark12c.png

Just a little story, attesting to the Mark 12's easy learning curve. I took an old college roommate out to the firing range a week ago, he's a stereotypical video game/Star Trek nerd with ultra thick glasses who has never shot a rifle before in his entire life. I gave him the quick basics on how to function check, safety, charging handle, etc etc.

His first shot hit the bullseye at 100 yds, and so did his follow ups. He shot a 1 inch group. Not bad for a first timer. I'm tempted to make a "So Easy a Caveman Can Do it" parody ad right about now.

High Caliber Sales are great to deal with too. KJO got me some stuff such as a KAC sling mount and the Operators Manual for it.

Lookin good guys.

And Deadly I was saying I haven't seen any USO's, YET, on their MK12's.... but I surely don't know every soldier or operator so that was a broad statement. Not set in stone.

Anyone had issues with their uppers and carbine size buffer tubes?

+ 6000 ROUNDS No problems with the carbine tube/spring buffer . <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin good guys.

And Deadly I was saying I haven't seen any USO's, YET, on their MK12's.... but I surely don't know every soldier or operator so that was a broad statement. Not set in stone.

Anyone had issues with their uppers and carbine size buffer tubes? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone had issues with their uppers and carbine size buffer tubes? </div></div>
KYshooter338$, I haven't had any issues, except for the fact that the "extra power" buffer spring somebody gave me (you think that should have been a clue?) hurts reliability in every lower it's ever been installed in.
I use standard carbine buffer springs (replace @ 5-8K down the pipe or so) and a "H" buffer in all my lowers with carbine stocks no matter what uppers they are paired with.
Works well for everything from my suppressed LMT 10.5" SBRs to my 24" Varmint rifle. I only have the one lower with a rifle length buffer shown with the 18" above. Now I do shoot pretty much only 5.56 load ammo from the SBRs, some 75gr BHBB too with no problems.
For buffer problems always check the gas port in the barrel first! Sure it's a pain in the rear, but you'll only have to do it once. It's not unusual on some of the commercial brands to see an slightly oversized port, to make sure the rifle runs & ejects with crap ammo I guess.

Here is my other SPR, a pretty decent representation of a MOD0 complete with OPS 12th. Super accurate with the Krieger barrel, I have been very pleased with this upper assembled by Jason @ JTAC.
This rifle more (won every category) than held it's own in a friendly non-biased SPR "competition" (rifle rest, MK262 I supplied, 100 and 600 yard range) with other Mod0, Mod1, Mod1.x, 18" SPR/suppressor combinations (Noveske, BCM, Stealth, & Sabre barrels and AAC, Surefire, & Gemtech suppressors).

OPS3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys useing spec ops 12th/15th Cans experiance much zero shift ?
</div></div>
On my two 18" SPRs, the Douglazs shifts 0.6 MOA down to 5 O'Clock, the Krieger 0.25 MOA directly down toward 6 O'Clock.
The 16" Krieger Recon has no discernable shift at all, ZERO, ever.
Hot, cold, dirty, clean, suppressed or not, it's a dream!

_A216535.jpg

ASM, Step, you guys got any more photos of your rifles? They look terrific!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats a sweet MOD 0 and NVD bro !I have a 3x lens for my NVD and I use a PEQ2 laser to aim or the M2 aimpoint.
</div></div>

I've got an IWAL2 IR laser, the all aluminum Hayes Research super low profile IR unit, really would like a 3X for my PVS-14, the 6X D-760 GenIII is terrfic, but the AN/PVS-22 rules!!!
I've heard the 3X has issues with the T-1 Aimpoint, but is fine with the M3 or M4 Aimpoints.
Any experiences with that?
I have never used my PVS-14 with either of the T-1 Aimpoints that I have, but I do think it works even better on the M4S than the M3 2 or M2 4 MOA models that I have. The settings are just perfect on the M4S.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys useing spec ops 12th/15th Cans experiance much zero shift ?

I like the 15th model as its on sale,But My 7.62sd shifts so small i dont even correct for it a 550 yards.. </div></div>

Didn't know spec ops made cans for these.

Ops Inc..

Sorry .<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys useing spec ops 12th/15th Cans experiance much zero shift ?

I like the 15th model as its on sale,But My 7.62sd shifts so small i dont even correct for it a 550 yards.. </div></div>

Didn't know spec ops made cans for these. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone had issues with their uppers and carbine size buffer tubes? </div></div>
KYshooter338$, I haven't had any issues, except for the fact that the "extra power" buffer spring somebody gave me (you think that should have been a clue?) hurts reliability in every lower it's ever been installed in.
I use standard carbine buffer springs (replace @ 5-8K down the pipe or so) and a "H" buffer in all my lowers with carbine stocks no matter what uppers they are paired with.
Works well for everything from my suppressed LMT 10.5" SBRs to my 24" Varmint rifle. I only have the one lower with a rifle length buffer shown with the 18" above. Now I do shoot pretty much only 5.56 load ammo from the SBRs, some 75gr BHBB too with no problems.
For buffer problems always check the gas port in the barrel first! Sure it's a pain in the rear, but you'll only have to do it once. It's not unusual on some of the commercial brands to see an slightly oversized port, to make sure the rifle runs & ejects with crap ammo I guess.

Here is my other SPR, a pretty decent representation of a MOD0 complete with OPS 12th. Super accurate with the Krieger barrel, I have been very pleased with this upper assembled by Jason @ JTAC.
This rifle more (won every category) than held it's own in a friendly non-biased SPR "competition" (rifle rest, MK262 I supplied, 100 and 600 yard range) with other Mod0, Mod1, Mod1.x, 18" SPR/suppressor combinations (Noveske, BCM, Stealth, & Sabre barrels and AAC, Surefire, & Gemtech suppressors).
OPS3.jpg

</div></div>

Edwin: what's the scope on this one? Thanks!