Modifying B&C Medalist

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I may acquire a Bell & Carlson Medalist A2 stock, but really don't like the shape and style of the forearm. I don't care much for the flared out forearm or how tall it is. How difficult is it for a novice to reshape the front part of the stock? Anyone modified one of these before?

- Phil

Re: Modifying B&C Medalist

Yup. Not that hard. I used a sander and Marine-Tex and made the shape I wanted.
DSCF0048-1.jpg

Here are some close up pics I took for another person asking the same question.

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

I have a small (600 lb. or so) milling machine (vertical and horizontal). With a little rigging, can probably find a way to hold the stock. My vise is not that large.

- Phil

Or a belt sander.

As stated, there are lots of little voids/pits/bubbles in there, so you sand it to the shape you like, then fill pits with epoxy.

I re-contoured the forearm on mine with a belt sander and a sanding block. Looks very similar pyplynr's. I used Devcon to skim it with to fill all the pin holes. I put a heavier texture on it also.

It made a HUGE difference in off hand shooting. It's very comfortable now.

I'm not sure how much of the height you could sand off though. I'm thinking the aluminum bedding block is kinda shallow in the forearm.

Now, adding the butt-hook and raising the comb height were a different adventure altogether.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I re-contoured the forearm on mine with a belt sander and a sanding block. Looks very similar pyplynr's. I used Devcon to skim it with to fill all the pin holes. I put a heavier texture on it also.

I'm not sure how much of the height you could sand off though. I'm thinking the aluminum bedding block is kinda shallow in the forearm.

Now, adding the butt-hook and raising the comb height were a different adventure altogether. </div></div>

How much extra comb did you need? I ask because I'm rocking a Bender 5-25x56 PM-II on a 20moa rail, with about .150" clearance between the obj and the barrel....and I find the comb very comfortable as delivered. Same scope on a McM A3....I needed a raised cheekpiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I re-contoured the forearm on mine with a belt sander and a sanding block. Looks very similar pyplynr's. I used Devcon to skim it with to fill all the pin holes. I put a heavier texture on it also.

Now, adding the butt-hook and raising the comb height were a different adventure altogether. </div></div>

How much extra comb did you need? I ask because I'm rocking a Bender 5-25x56 PM-II on a 20moa rail, with about .150" clearance between the obj and the barrel....and I find the comb very comfortable as delivered. Same scope on a McM A3....I needed a raised cheekpiece.</div></div>

Yeah, I might have been a little vague. I really only raised the front of the comb to make it level with the back instead of sloping toward the receiver.

Before, it caused issues with my cheek weld between different positions, like prone vs off hand. It's much more consistent now though.