• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Money spending problems?

BH30-06

Hole polisher
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2018
Canada
The title says it all. I don’t know what to spend my money on (big problem right). Any way I was wondering what you guys think I should get. I have lots of reloading components to make ammo so that’s off the list. My ideas were a new rem700 trigger, I personally don’t like how the stock one feels. An RCBS charge master lite. Or a kestrel. I really don’t know what I need the most, so I’m just looking for some opinions. Thanks guys.

Do you have a kestrel? If so how do you like it. I was thinking I could always get a basic kestrel and an impact data book that way I could swing a trigger as well. Not sure if it would be as effective as a kestrel 5700 though?

What distance are your shooting
1-400 yards you don’t need a kestrel etc
If you can’t get comfortable on the rifle you will never shoot consistently

A kestrel or an fx120 scale setup if you’re thinking about either kestrel or powder throw.

Or wait for the new chargemaster about to release soon.

Do you have a kestrel? If so how do you like it. I was thinking I could always get a basic kestrel and an impact data book that way I could swing a trigger as well. Not sure if it would be as effective as a kestrel 5700 though?

Basic one is all you need if you already have a ballistic solver.

Out to 1k just getting started
I say stock and trigger
People were hitting and still hit at 1k with out electronics
Like most guys on here my first school was a 308 out to 1k
Pen paper calculator federal Fynn 175smk
Spend money elsewhere 1k isn’t magic
If you can’t read the natural wind indicators (leaves mirage etc)
...junk in...junk out.

Out to 1k just getting started
I say stock and trigger
People were hitting and still hit at 1k with out electronics
Like most guys on here my first school was a 308 out to 1k
Pen paper calculator federal Fynn 175smk
Spend money elsewhere 1k isn’t magic
If you can’t read the natural wind indicators (leaves mirage etc)
...junk in...junk out.
Thanks. The rifle does have an MDT chassis, so I’m good on that part. But yah the trigger is not compfortable so it’s probably the best upgrade.

Reactions: Rover31
MagnetoSpeed. Good speed, ES and SD data will help you make better ammo. Get that nailed down first then you can get the rest of the gadgets, which good ammo will increase the usefulness of.

Be advised, you are heading down a deep, endless rabbit hole. New scale, better brass, annealing tool, kestrel, better trigger, another rifle, etc. Expendable income disappears in a hurry.

If you deal with a lot of wind then the Kestrel is a good add, but you can learn wind with flags and a Kestrel will never tell you what it is doing down range.

IMO comfort and control take precedence over everything else. Best ammo and the best wind call won't help much if your not able to make the shot because you are not comfortable or you system sucks. Trigger and/or a non-spring loaded bi-pod (i.e., Atlas or better).

If you deal with a lot of wind then the Kestrel is a good add, but you can learn wind with flags and a Kestrel will never tell you what it is doing down range.

IMO comfort and control take precedence over everything else. Best ammo and the best wind call won't help much if your not able to make the shot because you are not comfortable or you system sucks. Trigger and/or a non-spring loaded bi-pod (i.e., Atlas or better).
Thanks. Right now I’m running a Harris, that probably should be upgraded.

You dont need a Kestrel for ballistics. If you have a newer phone you can get an app that will help you out. Ive been shooting 1k for 3 years now and i havent opted for a Kestrel (yet). I watched a few videos on how to judge wind, so now i sit at home and judge wind. That skill you'll want either way.

You don;t need a chronograph, but it will help with load development. If you have a crazy ES and don;t know it, then you could be trying to fix things that are caused by that. Knowing your MV is helpful for tuning your ballistics too. but you can adjust that on a ballistic app, without knowing you initial, its part of truing your ballistics either way.

For reloading, an fx120 (Cahrgemasters are overrated IMO) setup with auto throw, etc would be nice... But its not necessary. To get around spending huge money here i bought an old scale that has the same tolerances as the FX120. It cost me $100....but its not compatible with auto throw... so theres that. I just use my old thrower and hand trickle up. It takes longer, but is just as precise.

I mean you can find anything to upgrade to help you out. And once you start buying stuff you;ll continually want to buy more, and more, and more... Do you need a good RF? That could be an area to start.

As for a bipod its all personal preference. I have used a harris for 10 years and it just works. Once you know how to use it you will appreciate the ability it provides. Is it the flashiest and newest, nope. Does it work pretty damn well for its purpose (price). YES.

Good triggers are nice, but if you already shooting half moa, it wont get you too much more improvement.

Those are just some of my opinions on how to get more useful items for less money. I have a chrony digital chronograph. Not the best for anything..but when I went to true my MV at 500 yards i found that I didnt need to change the MV. I was surprised that it was spot on. Do i want a labradar, of course. Do i need one... Nope.

I keep telling myself that someday i'll be somebody by having the best of everything (no i dont) but at the end of the day 2 things will help you the most. Practice and ammo. Those 2 things are worth more than all the others combined.... But you wont realize that until after you've spent the money on the rest of the those things.

It depends on how bad your trigger is currently, how slow your reloading is currently and how far and what kestrel you want to buy. First one is self explanitory, if it's terrible change it. I have a chargmaster lite and it sped up my reloading quite a bit, I have an FX-120I now and the chargmaster was accurate enough for what I was doing but I'm OCD and want even more precision. If your doing the highest end Kestrel with the AB app and blue toothing it to a high end rangefinder and shooting 600 plus regularly its worth it. If your not pairing it and your not shooting that far it's not really worth it just for the wind and environmentals in my opinion. Download the AB app, have it pull station presure and learn to read wind with flags. Just my .02

YOU DONT NEED A KESTREL, i have the 5700 with AB and i use a cheap app on my phone most of the time ( its always dead on or very close) , good trigger, great optics, range finding bionaulars. practice learning the wind . its not too hard

The title says it all. I don’t know what to spend my money on (big problem right). Any way I was wondering what you guys think I should get. I have lots of reloading components to make ammo so that’s off the list. My ideas were a new rem700 trigger, I personally don’t like how the stock one feels. An RCBS charge master lite. Or a kestrel. I really don’t know what I need the most, so I’m just looking for some opinions. Thanks guys.

Buy a Prometheus for your reloading bench...guaranteed to make you some better ammo or at least lighten your problem

any plans to shoot off the range?
shooting at known distances and being able to calculate trajectory is great, but what if you don't know the distance?
are you good at using a ranging reticle would you need a rangefinder?
maybe consider a Kilo2400ABS or another rangefinder that combines rangefinder and ballistic calculator, and allows you to input real results from your load testing to build a profiles for each rifle/load combination?

any plans to shoot off the range?
shooting at known distances and being able to calculate trajectory is great, but what if you don't know the distance?
are you good at using a ranging reticle would you need a rangefinder?
maybe consider a Kilo2400ABS or another rangefinder that combines rangefinder and ballistic calculator?
I probably will. I do have a rangefinder so I’m good in that department