• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Range Report Most accurate 223/5.56 factory ammo brand

ColtJ

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2011
Miami
twitter.com
Hello,

I have done quite a bit of searching/reading, etc... on factory ammo, handlaoding/reloading is currently not an option.

After reading through countless threads with similar title's and same subject, once you read through the clutter, the answer goes unanswered most of the time.

There could quite possibly be no answer... Maybe I am hunting for some sort of holy grail that I will not find.

The rifle being used has a Krieger 20" SS Barrel 1/7.7 and is in an AR platform.

From what i understand longer/heavy ammo such as the 60-77gr will be the better choice due to the barrel twist. <span style="font-style: italic">I also gather different guns will like different ammo. </span>
<span style="font-style: italic">Similar to factory cars not making the advertised power all the time; however, they will make the power within a certain range most of the time. </span>

I am not looking for an exact brand but a range that we can use to find the best.

Here are the results so far... All shooting is done at 100 yards in the prone position.

Average group with Black HIlls 223 77gr blue box:
11.jpg

Cold bore shot with same ammo (shooting at a quarter):
quarter_1.jpg

I've also tested 69 blue box (seemed a bit inconsistent) and a few 55gr Hornday V-Max options such as tap, superformance (53gr), etc...

I've had a few freak 10 shot groups and many worse; however, the average or my ceiling right now is .8-1 MOA.

What other factory ammo is out there? and although it seems factory ammo is rated at .75-1.5 MOA is it possible to consistently do better?

I understand I might be chasing a ghost but opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Most accurate 223/5.56 factory ammo brand

I have had very good luck with the Hornady 75 bthp match in my 20" Armalite. When I can't hand load for whatever reason it is what I turn to.

I was talking with some guys in another thread about reloading and they said the Atlanta Arms 77SMK factory stuff is pretty good, I am going to order some and try it out. The best stuff I have found so far is the Fiocchi 77SMK, its a little slower but does great, but I havent tried BH yet. They were running the same barrel as you and so am I.

Thanks for the replies.

I plan to test both Atlanta Arms and Southwest Ammo in the up coming weeks.

I actually received a disclaimer with the upper to not use Federal Ammo as the casings are too soft (as per the disclaimer).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southwest Ammos 223/556 loads have shot great for me out of multiple platforms, and the price is hard to beat.

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/59.htm</div></div>

Knight, you ever shoot at fort gordon???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColtJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies.

I plan to test both Atlanta Arms and Southwest Ammo in the up coming weeks.

I actually received a disclaimer with the upper to not use Federal Ammo as the casings are too soft (as per the disclaimer).

</div></div>

I have read that too but I have shot some federal, not a lot, without problems just testing different kinds of ammo. I little note about the Atlanta Arms stuff, if the stuff listed for sale everywhere is the same load as the AMU gets, the AMU guys are saying it can reach 2950fps in their service rifles which is 200 FPS better then the other 77SMK makers.

Oh by the way, this is was the best 5 shot 100 yard group using the Fiocchi 77SMK and yes I pulled that shot bad and almost cried, I really gotta work on NOT doing that anymore.

a391ee72.jpg

BigJohn141,

I've read that too. I am definitely going with Atlanta Arms as I like what I've seen after looking them up.

I am also going to have some ammo loaded for me and see what the results are.

Looking forward to it as I had started to lose hope.

Awesome group btw, that last shot is always a mental error.
smile.gif
I've kicked myself many times over it.

Colt,
you haven't really said anything about what range you are wanting great groups at. If it's just 100 yards groups you're after get ammo with a match grade 52gr bullet using a faster powder like H335 or Win748. Don't worry about the fast twist barrel the 52's shoot better than anything else in close.
If you're after midrange accuracy then using a 69gr bullet will usually beat a 77 in just accuracy testing. The 77 gets better when wind tolerance is put in the mix.
Yes, the AA ammo is great stuff, I don't believe the stuff they sell to the public is the same stuff the AMU gets, but all their ammo is good.

52grs. at 100 if it doesn't hold under 1moa you have a gun or shooter issue.

Xcount,

All local ranges are 100 yards max. To keep everything consistent I will practice and test ammo at 100 yards but plan to travel north and stretch it out to 400-500 yards once I am satisfied with the ammo, rifle and my skills.

I will not pretend to understand everything but I do remember reading something about the longer/heavier ammo not being fully stabilized at ~100 yards.

However, at the moment I am still trying to find the best ammo to match with my rifle assuming I do not just plain suck.

When testing loads for a Sav 10FP 24" 1:9" barrel, Hornady 75gr HPBT (Moly), the same load from BH, and a handload using that bullet and 26.5gr of Ramshot Big Game shot indistinguishably and quite well.

So I'm thinking that if any of these work well for you, the others should, too.

I like that for longer distances; but for an AR at 100-200yd, I like the 52gr SMK and 26.0gr of Varget.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have read that too but I have shot some federal, not a lot, without problems just testing different kinds of ammo. I little note about the Atlanta Arms stuff, if the stuff listed for sale everywhere is the same load as the AMU gets, the AMU guys are saying it can reach 2950fps in their service rifles which is 200 FPS better then the other 77SMK makers.

Oh by the way, this is was the best 5 shot 100 yard group using the Fiocchi 77SMK and yes I pulled that shot bad and almost cried, <span style="font-weight: bold">I really gotta work on NOT doing that anymore.</span>

</div></div>

I'm with ya there man. I shot 3 shots that measured around 3/10ths of a inch at 100yds, pulled the fourth then didn't bother to shoot the 5th. I know thats bad but man i was so pleased with the group i didn't want anything else ruining it. This is with southwest ammunition's 77gr SMK run N gun.

395367_2401976850573_1285620147_31958867_5054781_n.jpg