Rifle Scopes Mount and other ?'s for PST 6-24 on AR15/s

strayshot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
Hi All,
First "actual" post on snipershide so go easy on me (I've lurked a long time and bought a couple things from vendors and private sellers). Hopefully this is the right forum for my question:

Just bought a vortex PST 6-24 MOA/MOA from CSTactical(thanks!). I really like the Bobro QD mounts on SWFA and would love to get one to switch the PST between AR's when shooting long range. The AR's are a 16 inch noveske 1:7 and a 20 inch kreiger 1:7.7. The 16 incher shoots handload 75gr BTHP's at ~2550fps. I'd like to shoot to 800 yards, but won't go beyond 650 (max I've shot so far) depending on the answers below. Haven't shot the 20 incher yet, the 75's should go faster though (maybe 80fps?).

Questions:
1) Do I need a canted mount? The PST has 65 MOA in it, even if I'm right in the middle at 100 yards I've only got 32.5 MOA adjustment left. Will that be enough to go to 650? 800? on those 75gr's?
2) If I go with a Bobro, should I get the slightly forward or the extended? I can't see a disadvantage to the extended other than the scope mass is less centered over the rail attachment point? It just seems like my eye relief range has way more options with the extended moving between guns. 16 incher has a magpul UBR, 20 incher has a PRS.
3) If I need a canted mount, do I have any QD options? If I get a 20MOA canted mount, I can still get to a 100 yard zero with both guns right?
4) Will the Bobro at 1.5 inch centerline over the rail clear a 50mm objective? No iron sights so don't need to clear those.

So these are my conundrums. Any advice appreciated.
Brian

Re: Mount and other ?'s for PST 6-24 on AR15/s

I'll answer a couple of the questions.

I have the Bobro extended mount with a Vortex 4-16x50 FFP that I put on every now and then in place of my Aimpoint and it not only clears the objective but also clears my my rear sight when folded down.

The Bobro is great to use and locks positively every time.
For what your planning on it will work great !

Thanks for the input guys.

I ran JBM and it looks like I'll see about a ~30 MOA drop out to 800 with that bullet, so I think even with a flat mount I'll be OK.

Gonna go with the Bobro extended.

I took my Aimpoint off and threw the Vortex and Bobro on for a picture so you can see it mounted.
It also clears the twist mount for my 3x btw.
Hope that helps you out.
30wsgtw.jpg