• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Mount for TRG-22: Near Alpha, Sphur, Sako 3 ring?

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
I just put a downpayment on a Sako TRG-22 and I'm now trying to decide which mounting system to use. My dealer has the OEM Sako 3 ring mount for $350, the Near Alphamount is $325, and the Sphur system is closer to $400. I plan on selling my current Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50mm and replacing it with a NightForce 5.5-22x56mm. Initially I was going to buy a Near 25 MOA picatinny base and use Seekins rings that I already have (they are medium height), but I feel like a one piece mount may be the way to go.

Please provide any input regarding any of these mounts. If there are any another mounting methods that I am overlooking, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

Edit to add: The TRG I purchased does not come with a Sako rail. It's my understanding that these mounts do not require a rail because they attach directly to the Sako receiver, correct?

Re: Mount for TRG-22: Near Alpha, Sphur, Sako 3 ring?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just put a downpayment on a Sako TRG-22 and I'm now trying to decide which mounting system to use. My dealer has the OEM Sako 3 ring mount for $350, the Near Alphamount is $325, and the Sphur system is closer to $400. I plan on selling my current Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50mm and replacing it with a NightForce 5.5-22x56mm. Initially I was going to buy a Near 25 MOA picatinny base and use Seekins rings that I already have (they are medium height), but I feel like a one piece mount may be the way to go.

Please provide any input regarding any of these mounts. If there are any another mounting methods that I am overlooking, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

Edit to add: The TRG I purchased does not come with a Sako rail. It's my understanding that these mounts do not require a rail because they attach directly to the Sako receiver, correct? </div></div>The Sako mount and the Spuhr mount definitely mount to the dovetail, I'm not positive on the Near. Most of the Alphamounts I have seen have been mounted to a pic rail base, usually a Near.

It looks like the Near Alphmount requires a picatinny base. That pretty much takes the Alphamount out of the running for me because I want something that mounts directly to the receiver. If that was the case, the Near would be perfect for me. I really hate to spend $175 for a rail and then another $325 for the Alphamount.

Reactions: Trophybear

I have the TRG-42 in 338 Lapua with the Sako 3 ring system. I looked at the Near as a replacement, but would be hard pressed to sell my sako 3 ring on the open market. And like you said, you would have to buy the near 3 ring mount along with his pic rail which puts you in the 500 dollar range. The only draw back to the sako 3 ring system is that there is no place to put a ADI/ACI because of the lack of a pic rail. I did just find a product called Flatline ops strong arm which looks like it would work on the TRG-42. All in all, i think the sake 3 ring mount is pleny strong and i also like that it uses the bushing system like the burris signature rings so that it keeps the scope in perfect allignment.

You don't want a high setup on the Sako. If you go too high at all, you have to raise the cheek piece, which requires purchasing shims and a screw from Sako and they are expensive. Also if you raise the cheekpiece too much you cannot remove the bolt without removing the cheekpiece. I have a Sako 308 and have a Near base (it is 25moa) and Seekins rings with a Nighforce 5.5x22-56. Very good setup. The one piece setups don't allow much vertical adjustment I don't think, the pictures I have seen indicate scopes riding quite high. Not good. With a pic rail and rings, you just buy the rings that get you just high enough, no more. That is good.

Sniperaviator
Our mounts are 1,38"/35mm high.
What height do you get with your rail and ring combination?

Personally I think its pretty unvise to put a picatinny rail on the top of a perfect machined steel rail.
So regardless if the mount will be ours, nears or Sako, make sure to choose a mount that doesent require any picatinny rail.
There is no reason for extra parts when not needed.

With our direct mount there is above 2" of vertical adjustment for the scopemount on a TRG42.

When it comes to the ACi mount we have a specialmount soon to be ready for those.
Here is some pics to show how it looks.
Its a quick detach version.

Regards Håkan

37367_465816919407_680984407_6430291_4869608_n.jpg

36006_465815549407_680984407_6430257_4925586_n.jpg

You should contact Richard Near from Near Mfg. to see what he can come up with for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just put a downpayment on a Sako TRG-22 and I'm now trying to decide which mounting system to use. My dealer has the OEM Sako 3 ring mount for $350, the Near Alphamount is $325, and the Sphur system is closer to $400. I plan on selling my current Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50mm and replacing it with a NightForce 5.5-22x56mm. Initially I was going to buy a Near 25 MOA picatinny base and use Seekins rings that I already have (they are medium height), but I feel like a one piece mount may be the way to go.

Edit to add: The TRG I purchased does not come with a Sako rail. It's my understanding that these mounts do not require a rail because they attach directly to the Sako receiver, correct? </div></div>

After going back and forth between the same options that you are considering, I just bit the bullet and bought the Sako 34mm 3 ring mount yesterday. I REALLY like the Spuhr mount based on what I've seen, but I wasn't sure when they would be available (the date that I was told has come and gone) and I figured that when it came to mounting a scope on the TRG the folks at Sako might have an idea or two about what they're doing. I know some will probably say that there are better options for the money and I could see that when the price on the Sako 3 ring was $500+, but now at $350 it's a much more attractive option.

For those that "really like" one mount over another, I have to ask- why do you choose? I ask, because I like the IDEA of a 1 piece mount. However, I already have a Warne 20 moa pic rail and Badger .99 rings that place the scope just barely clearing the barrel, and I haven't experienced anything to suggest that I need to spend money to upgrade this setup. In fact, right now the pic rail is perfect because my Hensodlt is splitting time between my TRG and my AW, and I can take the scope off (in the rings) mount it on the AW, and then mount it back to the TRG with a repeatable zero (using a torque wrench.)

Not saying my system is better, to the contrary, I would prefer a Spuhr or a Sako optic-lock. My point is, any quality system should do the job.

The Warne Base and Badger rings are about the least expensive option next to the Sako Mount. There isn't a darn thing wrong with that system. How "strong" of a mounting system do you really need? Can't see how the warne/badger set-up will ever fail.

Looks wise? Well, that is another story.

A lot of us have more than one gun. Having picatinny rail on all guns allows moving the rings/scope from gun to gun. That is what I have done. My Rem 700 is at the gunsmith getting a new barrel. I bought a Sako TRG 22 so I would have something to shoot in the meantime. Nice rifle. I just moved my Seekins rings and scope over to the Sako. My setup measures 30.73mm which is 1.209" from top of Sako reciever to middle of Seekins 30mm (I believe they are low) rings. Of course that is the advantage of rings, if they are the wrong height you just buy a taller or shorter pair. The Seekins come in 4 heights I believe. My setup accomodates my Nightforce 5.5x22-56 scope JUST BARELY clears the front barrel. If I were buying rings I would get the next height up. But this scope is going back on my Rem 700 and I will be putting something else on my Sako when the Rem comes back with it's new barrel.

The Warne bases are ok. Warne uses screws with flat head screwdriver! Not torx or even allen. I think that is less than ideal. They are steel and quite thin, thinner than the Near. The only thing I don't like about the Near is the 25moa and not 20moa. I had to reset the zero stop on my Nightfoce. If they had been 20moa, I wouldn't have had to do that, just rezero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't want a high setup on the Sako. If you go too high at all, you have to raise the cheek piece, which requires purchasing shims and a screw from Sako and they are expensive. Also if you raise the cheekpiece too much you cannot remove the bolt without removing the cheekpiece. I have a Sako 308 and have a Near base (it is 25moa) and Seekins rings with a Nighforce 5.5x22-56. Very good setup. The one piece setups don't allow much vertical adjustment I don't think, the pictures I have seen indicate scopes riding quite high. Not good. With a pic rail and rings, you just buy the rings that get you just high enough, no more. That is good. </div></div>
What height Seekins rings are you using? Any chance you could post a picture of your setup?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't want a high setup on the Sako. If you go too high at all, you have to raise the cheek piece, which requires purchasing shims and a screw from Sako and they are expensive. Also if you raise the cheekpiece too much you cannot remove the bolt without removing the cheekpiece. I have a Sako 308 and have a Near base (it is 25moa) and Seekins rings with a Nighforce 5.5x22-56. Very good setup. The one piece setups don't allow much vertical adjustment I don't think, the pictures I have seen indicate scopes riding quite high. Not good. With a pic rail and rings, you just buy the rings that get you just high enough, no more. That is good. </div></div>
Terje makes a great replacement which is adjustable.

I just got done with this same personal debate. I like the idea of something like the Spuhr mounting directly to the machined factory (odd sized) rail on my TRG. I couldn't figure out what the hell on the Spuhr website to order, and they look like they get the scope pretty high to me in the pics.

Same thing for Seekins, their website sucks. I would really like a simple ring that mounted directly to the integral rail.

The Sako's just offend me with their price, but I do think they are a good option.

I went with the Near stuff. Their website is not great, but they communicate well. Their pic rail is a thing of beauty, fits absolutley perfectly. With it, then you can pick any Pic style ring you want. I didn't intend to get the Alpha Mount, but they actually sent it, and I just said WTF and kept it. It works like a glove, and it just clears a 50mm Obj NF with the factory supplied scope cap/cover, maybe leaves 1/16" or a little less of clearance--actually exactly what I wanted for scope clearance.

If I was going from scratch, I would order the Near rail ONLY, and then pick the Pic rings I like

The TRG 3 ring mount also indexes into the top of the TRG receiver - being that they, Sako, manufactured the receiver and the mount, I think that is where the idea for Near mount to index was borrowed from. I have a Near picatinny and it works great, but I agree with Spuhr: Less is more. I am of the opinion that when it comes to the number of components between the rifle and the optic, the fewer the better.

Now here is the major thing I noted: The factory Sako mount has one index point that can be moved into the several indexing points on the receiver - the Near has 5 indexing points. From the looks of it, the Near fits the receiver <span style="font-style: italic">one way onlyand then your eye relief is subject to available real estate on the tube of your scope.</span>

The 3 ring also has it's index lug machined exactly to match the receiver which looks to be different in design from the Near index lugs.

Just observations on those two.

...and I still want Spuhr mounts for mine.

The base is here:
http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm
The rings I used are here:
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=rings

I have a Nightforce 5.5x22-56 and am using MEDIUMS (not lows as previously stated). I have about 1/8th inch between my scope and barrel. It is OK and safe, but too close to be ideal. I would go to HIGH if I were to order them for the 56, (MEDIUM HIGH for the 5.5x22-50). (As I stated, the rings and scope are TEMPORARILY on this gun). I think this is all correct, YMMV.

If I were going with the Warne base, I would order HIGH rings as the Warne base is thinner than the Near base.

I hope that helps.

Whatever you do make sure you can return the rings for a higher or lower set. It is quite difficult sometimes you don't get the exact fit you want and have to try again. Seekins will let you exchange their rings for different height ones. (although they don't always have everything in stock).

Ideally you want to be just high enough so the scope covers go on, no higher. You don't really want to be adjusting the cheek piece up as I stated that takes more expensive parts from Sako and you won't be able to get the bolt handle out without lowering it.

Good luck. The Sako TRG is a great gun. All these products work great if you get the size you want you are good to go!

I had the badger 35moa base on my trg42 with badger rings. It worked really well for me. Having said that if the 3 ring sako mount would have been available I would have went that route.

Traipsed through the identical mounting "trade space" for my TRG42 (300WM). Elected to rip the SPUHR Mount (34mm, 1.38" high, 24MOA) after consultations with Hakan and Victor (TNVC). Keep'n It Simple Straightforward. Looking fwd to the SPUHR Mount soon.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By all means, I would stay away from the Sako mount, as I have made bad experience, ie biting my scope.
</div></div>
The 3 ring Sako mount I looked at had ring inserts which seemed like they'd prevent any damage to the scope. I don't doubt you, but could you share some more details?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By all means, I would stay away from the Sako mount, as I have made bad experience, ie biting my scope.
</div></div>
The 3 ring Sako mount I looked at had ring inserts which seemed like they'd prevent any damage to the scope. I don't doubt you, but could you share some more details? </div></div>

+1 on getting more of this story. The inserts index in the ring and if they're in there right, you should be able to shoot hundreds of rounds of .338LM and then pull the scope without any ring marks whatsoever on the tube. That is my experience with the Sako 3 ring (or any of my Optilock rings for that matter).

I happen to have a 30mm 3 ring Sako Mount that I am not using. Direct from Sako. Have one on my 308 and one on my 338. No issues what so ever. I like to keep it in the family although NEAR is Great stuff!

PM me for a great deal. May have some other items available as well. Break, Bi Pod, etc. I doubled up on accident, luck or convenience. However you look at it.

First, our sako mounts are readily availible.
They come in both 30mm and 34mm, in 7mils/24 moa tilt, and the 34 can also be had in 13mils/44,4 moa.
You can either buy them from TNVC, or you can also contact us directly and we can ship to the US directly. Only bad thing is that the shipping is quite expensive when shipping from sweden, so there can be a point about buying togehter with some friend to cut down the shipping cost..
We don't yet have a webshop running, we had loads of the problem with the bank to get an accept for the creditcard transactions.
But that is solved soon, and in the meantime does Paypal work ok.
I expect the webshop to be running within a week or a few weeks.

I dont understand some of the discussions here around prices for the mounts. When the rifle costs 3000, the scope 1500-2000 where does it then matters if the Near setup costs 500, ours 400 or some cheaper solution costs 250?
That is nothing compared to the the rest of the gun anyway.

Personally I find the integrated rail solution extremely attractive on a rifle like this, as it never comes loose. It's simply really optimized. Then there can always be a discussion why its not a picatinny, but it iseent.
Next long range gun I will get will certainly have an integrated rail, why more parts when its not needed.

To put a picatinny rail on a TRG is like putting a steering wheel in the backseat, whatfor?

Håkan

Hello All,
I also have the Sako three ring mount. I thinl it is a great product. When I first installed it, the rings did losen from the mount base. I did pull the mount and locktite the screws. I would do that before installing the mount if you decide to go this way.
Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, our sako mounts are readily availible.
They come in both 30mm and 34mm, in 7mils/24 moa tilt, and the 34 can also be had in 13mils/44,4 moa.
You can either buy them from TNVC, or you can also contact us directly and we can ship to the US directly. Only bad thing is that the shipping is quite expensive when shipping from sweden, so there can be a point about buying togehter with some friend to cut down the shipping cost..
We don't yet have a webshop running, we had loads of the problem with the bank to get an accept for the creditcard transactions.
But that is solved soon, and in the meantime does Paypal work ok.
I expect the webshop to be running within a week or a few weeks.

I dont understand some of the discussions here around prices for the mounts. When the rifle costs 3000, the scope 1500-2000 where does it then matters if the Near setup costs 500, ours 400 or some cheaper solution costs 250?

Personally I find the integrated rail solution extremely attractive on a rifle like this, as it never comes loose. It's simply really optimized. Then there can always be a discussion why its not a picatinny, but it iseent.
Next long range gun I will get will certainly have an integrated rail, why more parts when its not needed.

To put a picatinny rail on a TRG is like putting a steering wheel in the backseat, whatfor?

Håkan </div></div>
Sir,
Your mounts look rock solid. As you said, once I've spent so much on a rifle and optic, I want to make sure I buy a superior mount. Your mounts look outstanding, the only concern I have is that in some of the photos I've seen, the scope is mounted pretty high above the barrel. I personally try to keep the scope just high enough to clear scope covers. However, I know very little about your products so I may be 100% wrong. Do you have any photos showing the overall rifle with a scope mounted at the height I describe?

My Leupold 8.5X25-50 is about 1/8" to 3/16" above my barrel using the Near 25MOA Base, and Alphamount on my 42 .338LM.

102_2772.jpg

Edited to add: When I called and talked to Richard, he worked with me to put a base and rings on my rifle that would get it to do exactly what I wanted. I told him what scope I was planning on mounting, and how far I planned on shooting. He then matched up the right base with the right height rings for my scope. Perfection!

Matt 33.

The height above the barrel measured against my 4-16x50 PMll on the 7mils/24moa mount is about .27
That height will of course be much less if with a 56mm scope and the 13mils/44,4 mount.

I am sorry I cannot take a good picture of it, as I have cutt a little bit of the top of the barrel to once make space to a Hensoldt 6-24x72.
So it will looks worse than it is.
Here is however a poor picture.

Håkan

36006_465815539407_680984407_6430255_5002440_n.jpg

TRG-42 has Near base/rail 25-moa, Near Alpha (med) mount 20-moa, with S&B PMII 5-25x56 DT Mil. 10mm cheekrest spacer.

TRG-22 has Near base/rail 25-moa, Near Alpha (low) mount 0-moa, with S&B PMII 4-16x50 ST Mil. 6mm (2 x 3mm) cheekrest spacer.

I personally like the picatinny rail so I can easily swap scopes, move the scope forward/back, and mount level, COS ind., etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Håkan </div></div>

Spuhr, I agree with you in large part, and BTW, I really like the look of your mounts. I also do not like having a to put a 'rail on a rail', but the reality is there are so few options to fit the Sako integral rail, that it seems like they are forcing you into a corner in choosing a direct mount ring, i.e. the Sako stuff. If I could see options on the Spuhr mount for example, that gave me MINIMUM clearance of the barrel with a 50 MM objective scope, I would be VERY interested in obtaining one--I have not confirmed pricing on your products, but ALL of your pics are of good quality BTW, (perhaps not with an optimal view of what any one individual is looking for at any time) but good quality none-the -less, and I feel your mounts are of good quality. As to folks thoughts on pricing of mounts, I would submit that the general feeling may be this, which is independant of the cost of the rifle...

If you look at high quality mounts for rifles, i.e. typical Picatinny rings that would go onto a rail (integral to the rifle or not!) a benchmark for a very good quality ring could be something like Leupold MK IV rings. A pair of these will run you around $130ish. So when you then look at the option Sako would obviously like you to take for a TRG, the direct '3 ring' Sako mount, it is typically around $350+.....well to me, that's just a quick jump in my simple mind to "Blow Me" Sako! I like the direct rails on the Sako rifles, and would prefer a direct mount option that didn't require a rail--the other option from Sako by the way, is one of their 2 pic rails that mounts to their rail options--DOH!
wink.gif

A reasonable comparable IMO is a good pic ring that would mount direct if the Sako rail was a pic rail....and I actually have some pic rings that I like a LOT, that are under $75/pr.! So this where I think some of the disdain comes from when considering mounts that will work with the Sako integral rail on the TRG--for goodness sake they should just get over it and make it a pic rail!

As an aside, I in fact I have a LOT of Sako 75 & 85 rifles, and have tried every ring that will fit those dovetails, and I DID NOT settle on Optiloks from Sako. Optiloks are good mounts, I have my reasons for not liking them, including cost! I typically run Talley's or Leupold QD's (not Leupy ringmounts) and though I dislike the seperate base arangement, I prefer these rings to the Sako's AND they cost LESS...a good bit less BTW. If I could have it made, I would love an integral ring from Talley, no damn seperate bases, but they aren't considering many of my design requests yet! Some variable option ring heights that would mount direct to a TRG would sell reasonably well I think, but it is CLEAR that many folks put a rail on their TRG and then pick the Pic rings that they like!

The complaint about Sako retail prices would be more valid if you couldn't regularly find bipods, mounts (QD & 3-ring), picatinny rails, brakes and even Optilock setups on eBay, GB or here at half off or better. The only thing that is remotely difficult to score at massive discount is a bipod....or magazines. If you want to use something other than factory Sako components, more power to you - there is nothing wrong with that. If you say that you use something else because factory Sako stuff is ridiculously priced, then you simply need to quit shopping at retail and go find a deal or work on your patience and fortitude because smoking deals on factory Sako components are out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The complaint about Sako retail prices would be more valid if you couldn't regularly find bipods, mounts (QD & 3-ring), picatinny rails, brakes and even Optilock setups on eBay, GB or here at half off or better. The only thing that is remotely difficult to score at massive discount is a bipod....or magazines. If you want to use something other than factory Sako components, more power to you - there is nothing wrong with that. If you say that you use something else because factory Sako stuff is ridiculously priced, then you simply need to quit shopping at retail and go find a deal or work on your patience and fortitude because smoking deals on factory Sako components are out there. </div></div>

Could you post some examples of this? :S

I have looked in all the places that you have stated, and have never found any of these deals. I have googled until my eyes bulged out of my head, and nothing.

I've searched E-bay and Gunbroker, but the reserves and shipping are so high that you may as well buy retail. The best deal you get is on a used and abused half dead part that you are going to pay too much for anyway.

In my opinion
wink.gif
it is a very understated point that Sako parts are over priced. I own a TRG 42, and have to motgage my house whenever I want to make an upgrade to this stick.....

This is a great thread for both new TRG owners (I recently purchased one), and those who have owned one for a while and looking for upgrades. I too have googled my arse off trying to find decent prices, to no avail. Mebe I is lookin in all the wrong places?

Here is a link to Beretta USA, which actually have some prices less than some dealers. The quick detach Optilocks seem like a bargain to me. Plus- they are giving away a free gun case.

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-depart...lt.aspx?F_All=Y

I too just want to mount freaking rings directly to the receiver and be done with it. Paying up to $400.00 for a mount makes my jaws tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with a base from either Badger or USO and a standard set of rings?

Mine is a great set up and was probably the most inexpensive of all the options without the hassle of getting a Near mount or any loss in quality. </div></div>Beat you to it a few days back, big guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with a base from either Badger or USO and a standard set of rings?

Mine is a great set up and was probably the most inexpensive of all the options without the hassle of getting a Near mount or any loss in quality. </div></div>
I'm not 100% opposed to going that route. However, even BO rings and a base will be nearly $300. All of the methods I included in my original post are between $300 and $400 (I didn't realize the Near Alphamount also requires a picatinny base so I've rule out that option). At this point, I think I'm just going to go with the Sako three ring mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you post some examples of this? :S

I have looked in all the places that you have stated, and have never found any of these deals. I have googled until my eyes bulged out of my head, and nothing.

I've searched E-bay and Gunbroker, but the reserves and shipping are so high that you may as well buy retail. The best deal you get is on a used and abused half dead part that you are going to pay too much for anyway.

In my opinion
wink.gif
it is a very understated point that Sako parts are over priced. I own a TRG 42, and have to motgage my house whenever I want to make an upgrade to this stick..... </div></div>

Rather than show my hand, I'll just say that if you want to find the deals, you have to be johnny on the spot - checking sites religiously with disposable cash to make it happen in the instant you find the deal. They reason why most don't see the best deals on any site is because they get snatched up very quickly. In an auction situation, that means that the auction is no longer viewable in most instances because it's ended right after it appears.

Because you asked, my most recent example of a score is the TRG BUIS set - got a set for the price of a used front sight alone. There are a bunch of fellas like you and I both that are ready and waiting for smoking Sako accessory deals but the trick is simple - put in the time hunting and at some point you will bag the trophy.

It's science
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you post some examples of this? :S

In my opinion
wink.gif
it is a very understated point that Sako parts are over priced. I own a TRG 42, and have to motgage my house whenever I want to make an upgrade to this stick..... </div></div>

Rather than show my hand, I'll just say that if you want to find the deals, you have to be johnny on the spot - checking sites religiously with disposable cash to make it happen in the instant you find the deal. They reason why most don't see the best deals on any site is because they get snatched up very quickly. In an auction situation, that means that the auction is no longer viewable in most instances because it's ended right after it appears.

Because you asked, my most recent example of a score is the TRG BUIS set - got a set for the price of a used front sight alone. There are a bunch of fellas like you and I both that are ready and waiting for smoking Sako accessory deals but the trick is simple - put in the time hunting and at some point you will bag the trophy.

It's science
wink.gif
</div></div>

Hahaha, come on man.... Help a brother out! share some of those deals with the rest of us
wink.gif

Hugo

I really don't understand talking about a $6000 rifle/scope setup and squabbling over the difference of $100 when considering what mount to use. Save up and buy the best tool for the job the first time.

How often to we kick ourselves in the ass for making the wrong choice because it was a little more expensive, only to turn around and buy it down the road when the one we settled on wasn't what we had hoped for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't understand talking about a $6000 rifle/scope setup and squabbling over the difference of $100 when considering what mount to use. Save up and buy the best tool for the job the first time.

How often to we kick ourselves in the ass for making the wrong choice because it was a little more expensive, only to turn around and buy it down the road when the one we settled on wasn't what we had hoped for? </div></div>
I understand and agree with this reply. However, the point of my post was to help me select the best mount for my purposes. I'm not looking to buy a cheap or inferior mount.

I really really like the idea of a 1 piece mount. However, a pic rail is not a total compromise, it does have it's own unique set of advantages.

The first was the one I pointed out- being able to use the same optic on a few platforms with just a retorque of the two ring nuts.

The second is that if your optic ever goes down, it can be replaced by a backup optic far faster.

Still, if I were going with a permanent mount on a primary rig, the Spuhr or Sako would be my choice.

Matt, I currently have a 25 moa Near base and the Alpha Mount. Using it this past season I experienced no issues whatsoever and would recommend that setup to anyone. Given that, I suffer from a very costly condition called "fixing something that isn't broke". I stumbled across the Spuhr mount and have wanted a rock solid scope to receiver setup eliminating a separate base for the longest time.

Again, nothing wrong with my current setup, just looking at another option.

If you are interested in it, PM me and we can work something out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt, I currently have a 25 moa Near base and the Alpha Mount. Using it this past season I experienced no issues whatsoever and would recommend that setup to anyone. Given that, I suffer from a very costly condition called "fixing something that isn't broke". I stumbled across the Spuhr mount and have wanted a rock solid scope to receiver setup eliminating a separate base for the longest time.

Again, nothing wrong with my current setup, just looking at another option.

If you are interested in it, PM me and we can work something out. </div></div>
That's very generous, but I think I'm going to go with the Sako three ring mount. It's one piece and I like the inserts. The Spuhr looks great, but I think it might be too high. I'd love to see some pic's of the Spuhr if you have any.

Sorry, no pics because I won't be getting it until after the first of the year.

Be happy to post some after it is set up though.

I really don't feel like reading through all the previous posts to see if this was mentioned, but are you aware that Sako makes a spacer for the cheek piece?