• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Mounting NF and scope mount on M1a

tflhndn

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Not sure if this is best placed here, or in semi-auto guns...

I found a NF 3.5-15x50 at the local gunshow this weekend that I couldn't walk away from (now I understand why everybody loves them)... also found a basic (cheap?) M1a scope mount. Add a Nightforce 20 MOA Unimount (no lapping for me, thanks - beyond my ken).

Anyway, during the installation of the scope mount, I found there mounting allows the rail to be adjusted left and right - creating a problem in figuring out when the rail in in perfect line with the barrel.

From what I can tell, it can be adjusted and bolted down at the right place, but without shooting to find it, and not having a bore sight laser available . I was wondering, if I secure the rifle can I try and use the iron sights to line up with the scope and adjust the mount that way? is there a better way?

I know that once I mount the scope I will have to check for vertical alignment, but figure I have to get the mount right first.

thanks for any help.

Re: Mounting NF and scope mount on M1a

Aluminum mounts are sometimes inconsistent on the M1-A, as recoil tends to batter them and they lose zero, but the method you describe should help get it lined up. Put the rifle in a vise of some sort and line up the rifle sights on a target down range. Then dial in the scope to the same point without moving the rifle.

If you do have a problem with holding zero, you can bed the mount to the action or get a Smith Enterprise or Sadlak.

TC

I will likely get a better mount later - as I said, I found an NF scope at a rpice I couldn't resist and bought the only M1A scope mount I could find at the show so I could get it mounted...

Thanks for reply

tflhndn,

Agree w/ Top Cat on good mount for M1A. I used an old MAC (as in Military Armament) mount, though went back to iron sights.

You didn't say if this was a new or used scope. If used, before you do anything, ensure the reticles are centered. Check NF website for procedure. I think they had something or USO did.

Do a backyard boresight:
1) Set up a target ~ 20-25 yds (I use a paper plate with an "X" on the back fence).
2) Lock open bolt and get a dental mirror.
3) Bag/brace rifle well, look down bore with mirror, and align on target.
4) Set windage alignment as close as possible with mount adjustment (this may take several attempts).
5) Set windage and elevation with turrets - you should be on paper on your next range trip.

Good Luck,

Kevin

All parts are new (scope, mount, rings).

My concern is the way the mount bolts to the receiver. There is what looks like a hollow threaded pipe with a lock nut that hold the mount off the side of the clipper strip replacement piece. Since that tube is adjustable, it means the scope mount has to be trued to the barrel. It is through this tube that the second threaded knob attaches the mount to the receiver (the first being the threaded hole halfway up the side of the receiver).

I am going to try eyeballing at home, then taking it to the range and, without the bolt inserted, hold the mount against the receiver while sighting and adjust as best I can, then locking it down, installign the threaded bolt and hoping I am clos enough to not use up much windage in the scope to finalize the zero.

Was hoping someone had a better mousetrap
smile.gif

And eventually I am sure I will get a better scope mount, but I want more time to research my options, especially after hearing how much trouble people are having with the Springfields.

Throw that cheap mount away and get a quality unit. It proabaly isn't worth your time and trouble. Sadlak, Smith Enterprises, and ARMS make decent mounts that are secure and will actually hold zero. Mounting those units is also fairly straight forward compared to what you describe. There may be a few other quality mounts that will work well (GDI?), but I am not that familiar with them.

If you try to mount a NF Unimount on your M14 mount your optics may be too high. It is tough enough getting a decent cheek weld on a scoped M14/M1A, it's best to use the lowest rings you can get away with.

The last guy I seen go cheap on his NM M1A bought a cheap mount from Cabelas and It stripped so not done yet he sent it back for a replace it done it all over again spend the money on a good mount .One with a NSN would be nice

i have an m1a with a nightforce 3-15x50 have the GDI mount. Seems to work well. It came mounted on my rifle when i bought it used from a guy on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elephantrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadlak, Smith Enterprises, and ARMS make decent mounts that are secure and will actually hold zero. </div></div>

Will any of these reliably work with a Springfield M1a?

I am concerned by the repeated disclaimers these companies use when referring to "civilian" M1a manufacturers and am reluctant to spend several hundred dollars on a mount they may not work on my receiver...

OH JOY - trying to mount a scope to the M1a - just into punishment arent you. Like has been previously said Smith Enterprises and SADLAC make good M1a mounts I have had a mount from Springfield Armory I didnt like it now I have a Smith Enterprises mount. Once you have the perfect mount you will find that cheekweld is a HUGE problem and the solutions are either expensive or painful. McMillan makes a stock that is used on the M25 SAGE makes a stock that will work also.
http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html
Option 3 break out your drill and bore a couple holes in that stock and add a Karsten Cheekpiece.
http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale