movies

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
just mindless chatter. seems like DVDs are terminally ill,like CDs. people are streaming,whatever that entails. actually buying DVDs is cheaper if you can find what you like. at the few pawn shops that still have them,$1 or less. same with flea markets. went to a sorta lg.market last weekend and there were easily 100K strung all over. mostly junk that nobody ever saw. but volume for sure. interestingly in both markets i have been in lately,there has been 1 guy that organizes by letter,subject,title. 1 of those guys knew an unbelievable amount about the format,movies and history of same. found a few been looking for x 2yr.
do you think they might "come back" in 10-20 years like vinyl,which is hot in some places around?

just mindless chatter. seems like DVDs are terminally ill,like CDs. people are streaming,whatever that entails. actually buying DVDs is cheaper if you can find what you like. at the few pawn shops that still have them,$1 or less. same with flea markets. went to a sorta lg.market last weekend and there were easily 100K strung all over. mostly junk that nobody ever saw. but volume for sure. interestingly in both markets i have been in lately,there has been 1 guy that organizes by letter,subject,title. 1 of those guys knew an unbelievable amount about the format,movies and history of same. found a few been looking for x 2yr.
do you think they might "come back" in 10-20 years like vinyl,which is hot in some places around?
Vinyl is popular because of the sound, you don’t get the same sound with digital. Dvd looks and sounds just like the streaming service version and you have a ton of dvds in the way or cluttering up shelving.

Nostalgia always makes a comeback. Hell, people are still burning CDs and DVDs. Personally, while I do love having physical copies of my media, I like the convenience of streaming better. Also, you never have to worry about "disc rot".

Reactions: mosin46
i still burn CDs for car. save originals because aug car heat in FL is not healthy for them. i have had a 5yr + "car life" on most. i have learned that discs are not forever. but then,neither am i.

Went on a crazy vinyl buying spree a couple years ago. Ended up with easily 1000 LP's. Quite a few from garage sales but mostly from vinyl shops in the city. Pretty cheap, average price is around 5 bucks in great shape. Pricier ones around 12 bucks or so. Was a fun hunting around. You just cannot beat the sound of late 70's early 80's vinyl, when analog was truely at it's peak technology.

Went on a crazy vinyl buying spree a couple years ago. Ended up with easily 1000 LP's. Quite a few from garage sales but mostly from vinyl shops in the city. Pretty cheap, average price is around 5 bucks in great shape. Pricier ones around 12 bucks or so. Was a fun hunting around. You just cannot beat the sound of late 70's early 80's vinyl, when analog was truely at its peak technology.
My grandparents have one of those old dresser sized record player cabinets full of vacuum tubes, thing sounds amazing.

have had a bunch of younger guys that can hear say the same. i never got for hearing loss reasons. digital actually was better for me. had mucho vinyl in the past. had highish end gear before i switched. kinda wish i still had it.

Analog audio signals will always sound better than digital, but the problem is analog deteriorates more and more each time you play it regardless of how well you take care of the vinyl. I was born in 1989 and still was using cassettes even well into the CD burning era. I still have my tapes and even though they're physically in good shape, the sound quality is awful due to how many times they been played.

Reactions: johnnycat
yea,the trick way in the 70s was play your new record x1 recording it at that time (on your teac RTR} if you could afford one. cassete was just starting out and response was only to 17K until the v. expensive dragon came out.

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to watch a commercially made DVD ???

For one, commercials up the ass, the "You better not pirate this thing" warnings, etc etc etc until 10 minutes later when you can finally watch the movie......and streaming is the same shit, commercials up the ass, sideways, painfully, more than once.

Fuck Disney and the rest of Hollywood, learn something new and torrent the fuck outta that shit.

In your car ?
Get something from the last century that will play from a jump drive or your phone.
Plug in a 64 gig jump drive and you won't have to swap it for at least 2 weeks and never hear the same song twice.
Will it play torrented MP3's, movies, and FLACs ?
Why yes, yes it will.

Y'all seriously pay for the garbage ?
That is stone cold stupid.