Rifle Scopes Multi-Puropse optic for under $650?

TheHelmsman

Terminal Lance
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
Flathead Valley, MT
I need some advice.

I am looking for a multi-purpose mildot scope to mount on my model 700 7mm-08. I want to end up with a scope that will work for hunting deer in the woods/mountains of NW Montana, antelope on the plains of Eastern Montana, shoot 1000yd BR, and pull double duty as a spotting scope until I can afford a quality spotting scope.

I have been doing a lot of reading and haven't found any reviews on the Sightron SIIB SS 4.5-14x44mm MD yet, but from what I have read about the other SIIB scopes it looks to me like it's about the best I can get for my $600 price point.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Multi-Puropse optic for under $650?

Does anyone have any experience with the newer Big Sky SII's? Anything will be useful. Are the adjustments as repeatable as they claim? How do the optics compare with higher price scopes, like the Mk 4’s or Zeiss Conquest?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about the Sightrons, I've never used them.

In your budget I would look into the Vortex PST lines that should be out in the next couple months. Mil/mil, FFP, illuminated, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheHelmsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with the newer Big Sky SII's? Anything will be useful. Are the adjustments as repeatable as they claim? How do the optics compare with higher price scopes, like the Mk 4’s or Zeiss Conquest?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
</div></div>

I'd hoped that somebody with more optics experience (read that as running a scope hard) would chime in, but since they haven't... I have that exact model scope on my AR10, and it's easily the best scope I've actually used. My "in-store tests" before purchase were limited to focusing the darned thing out the store window at a road sign about 250 yards away, which is not very scientific to say the least. To my eyes, the glass was much better than the Leupy, and on a par (if not better) than the Zeiss. IMO it also outclassed the Bushnell, Burris, and sevral other offerings that were in stock. I did have a chance to look through both the Sightron SIIB and a NightForce and was blown away by the NF, but (with my budget) there's a lot of difference in 600 bucks and 1700 bucks, too. For the one box test I performed at the range, the scope tracked true.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better review; IMO though, this scope is well worth the money and you won't be sorry if you purchase it.

You are asking a whole lot out of a rifle scope.
To shoot 1000 yard BR requires a high magnification scope. If you are talking shooting 1000 yards in a tactical format, it does not require as much magnification.
To use a scope as a spotting scope also requires high magnification at extended ranges.

Hunting scopes do not require much magnification, indeed, too muchmagnification is a hindrance.
I really like a 2-7 or 2-8 power. They have low enough magnification for close shots and high enough magnification out too any ethical shooting distance.
The old standby 3-9 is a very versatile scope and the new SS 3-9 would make an excellent choice.

My long range hunting rifle wears a Mueller Tac-2, which is 3-10.

Your best compromise would probably be something in the 5-25 range, but 5x is awful high if a deer walks out 30 yards from your stand.

There is no free lunch, if you were hunting stricly open plains, long range stuff a 6-18x would work well, but when you enter the woods, that changes everything.

You could get a decent 4-14 or 4-16 scope and a vortex spotter and come in close to your 650 bucks.

I have a TRS-1, mine works great. Others have not had as much luck with theirs.
The Millet LRS might fit your needs, some have had good luck, others not so much.
The Nikon Monarch series 6-18 might be the way to go, or the Sightron you are looking at.

I am just not a big fan of high magnification on a hunting rifle.

GTriever: That is exactly the stuff I wanted to know, thanks. How is the eye relief? Is it picky or is it pretty forgiving?

I did find a pretty good review on one of the SIII SS scopes; they confirmed the excellent tracking claims from Sightron. I also got some things cleared up from them about discrepancies on windage/elevation all of the spec sheets say 60 MOA but the write-up on their own site says 80. The guy told me the new SIIB SS 4.5-14x44 have 80 MOA of adjustment and light transmission is 94.1%!

fdkay:
I know I’m asking a lot out of my new scope and I know it will not be excellent at any one thing that I want it to do, but I do need it to DO everything I want it to do. If I start shooting competition 1k BR then I will probably get a high power fixed scope that would excel at that one event, but right now that is not on the agenda for me. If there is one thing I have read over and over again on these types of sites is “never compromise glass for zoom” so I guess that is more of what I am looking for, the best glass that has excellent tracking, the ability to get a 7mm-08 out to 1k accurately and allow me to hunt in the locations I hunt in, the spotting scope requirement is more of a pipe dream. I just needed something to work as a stop gap until I can buy an actual spotting scope. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I hate to say it, but to play the realist here, you won't find an optic to fit all of your needs at your quoted price. You'll need to find out which "need" you have that's least important and think about culling it from your list for now.

That being said, a 3-10x, 3-15x, 4.5-14x, and a 5-20x may suit most of your needs, if you can find a decent used unit. New, though, you'll be VERY hard presses to end up with a scope worth keeping. All my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I wish you luck, though!
wink.gif

The Bushnell 4200 series is the one that will fit all your requirements above. I just bought a Leupold MK4 to replace my Bushnell 4200, to go on out to 1000yds and beyond. BTW my Used Bushnell 4200 is for sale but I don't have enough post yet to post Items for sale on this website. If interested in Bushnell 4200,My contact email for pics: [email protected]