• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Muzzle Brake on a 1906 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55?

ZakBradshaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a 1906 Swedish Mauser that I would like to put a muzzle brake on. The barrel has been shortened by 5 inches from the original 29" to 24"... (It was shortened when I got it.) I would like to get a muzzle brake for it, but I don't know what to get. I would like to not spend much on this. I know I can get muzzle brakes for my Yugo SKS for around $20, so that's the range I'm looking for. (I know the cheaper muzzle brakes might not be as good as the more expensive ones, but I'm only 18 and cash is limited) The outside diameter of my barrel is .69 inches. What kind of a brake do I need to get? One that needs to be soldered on? A bolt on one? I really appreciate the help. Thanks guys, Zak.

Re: Muzzle Brake on a 1906 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55?

I appreciate it. Thanks for the reply. I was looking at getting one to give the barrel a little bit of the length back that it lost (even though I know it does not affect accuracy), plus I thought it might make it look good. But, if it could possibly make it less accurate, I do not want to do it. Zak.

I don't know if its feasible or not, but my recommendation is that if it is and you decide to go through with it is to save up your money and get a brake that is worthwhile. I can speak from personal experience that its better to spend more for quality and have it done right than to cheap out and regret it. Fight against the desire for instant gratification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups do you get with your swede?
I just bought one myself and plan on adding a few goodies like a trigger, stock and a FFP scope. </div></div>

I actually haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet. I've only had it for a couple months, and ammo isn't the easiest to find. I have been looking for a synthetic stock and adjustable trigger as well. Zak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if its feasible or not, but my recommendation is that if it is and you decide to go through with it is to save up your money and get a brake that is worthwhile. I can speak from personal experience that its better to spend more for quality and have it done right than to cheap out and regret it. Fight against the desire for instant gratification. </div></div>

Yeah. I definitely don't want one that just latches on. I want one that can be soldered most likely, which I would have done by a gunsmith. I've never had a gun with a muzzle brake, so I am lost as to what I'm looking for. Tomorrow I'm buying the Tapco brake to replace the grenade launcher on my SKS (for legal reasons, I have a detachable 20 round magazine instead of the fixed 10), and I am getting the one that looks identical to the GL but is ported. It is only $18, and I have read alot of reviews and talked to people who said they are great. For under $30, I thought I might be able to get something comparable for my Mauser...