• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Muzzle velosity change after case annealing

Kyskeet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
just started case annealing, my Hornady cases had 10 or 12 loadings. My muzzle V had been running in the 2750 neighborhood consistently. First check after annealing was avg. 2780, is this common / normal? Nothing else was changed other than same brass was annealed.

I would suspect that after 10-12 loadings the brass was pretty well work hardened so when you annealed it you softened it up and made it more elastic.

My best guess for the higher velocity is that now it's softer and more elastic so the case neck is sealing the chamber better which makes the pressure higher since less gas is escaping and the end result higher velocity.

Of course I could be completely wrong but that's just what I assumed was happening when I started annealing and saw my velocities increase a little bit.

Last edited:
SD went from mid teens to 9-10 range. Bullet seating his very smooth now, they almost seat with the weight of the rock chucker handle

Last edited: