• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My DIY Weathermeter Wind Vane Project

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2018
    This is my first post on Sniper's Hide. I've lurked for a while as a non-member, but I just joined today. I am fairly new to precision shooting. I got my first precision rifle (a friend built a custom AR-15 for me) several years ago. I dabbled in it and shot in a couple of NRA Mid-range High Power matches. Almost a year ago, wifey bought me a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM. Since then, I've been on a "precision rifle kick." It's quite the "rabbit hole!" I'm having fun with it.

A while back I got the Weatherflow Weathermeter. It measures wind speed, humidity, temperature, and more. It's designed to be a hand-held gizmo. You face into the wind and take your measurement.

The cool part is that it interfaces with Strelok Pro (ballistic app). Of course, that measurement is but a momentary reading. The wind, of course, changes. So, I could stand up and take a measurement, but when I get back prone on the rifle and get ready to take my shot.... well... that measurement I took moments ago may or may not be applicable. Now, if I was a master at reading the wind, that would help when I take the shot.

I do recognize that the Weathermeter reading is but a moment in time at a very specific position (near the shooter). So, I understand that there's more to reading the wind. I submit using a weathermeter will help "calibrate" a newbie's senses in reading the wind.

So... what if I could get the Weathermeter data in real time? The weathermeter and Strelok can do that, but I can't hold the weathermeter in my hand (facing the wind) and be on the rifle simultaneously.

Oddly enough, nobody makes a wind vane that will hold the Weathermeter. So, I made my own. In the next comments, I'll post photos on how I made it.

The idea is to set the weather meter / vane up on a tripod and have my phone right in front of me when prone on the rifle.

That all said... because it's bluetooth, the range is not that great.

In any case... here we go:

I got all the parts on Amazon.

This is a replacement wind vane for a Davis weather station.
    weather-vane-1.jpg

This is a 3.5-mm jack extension cord made to install on a car dash. I cut off the wire and ground the base flat.
    weather-vane-1a.jpg

I hot-glued the 3.5-mm jack to the top of the wind vane. The Weathermeter has a 3.5-mm jack so you can mount it to your phone.

weather-vane-2.jpg

weather-vane-1a0.jpg

I got a 1/4" x 6" stainless steel rod (shortest I could find on Amazon) and cut a 2-1/2" piece off.
    weather-vane-2a.jpg

I then got a flange-mounted bearing with a 1/4" hub. There are two hex set-screws to secure the 1/4" steel shaft.

weather-vane-4.jpg

The wind vane has a 1/4" socket in it with a single hex set-screw.
    weather-vane-7.jpg

(to be continued in next comment... stand by...)

Last edited:
    Inserting the other end of the shaft into the wind vane.
    weather-vane-7a.jpg

Weather vane assembled!
    weather-vane-7a1.jpg

weather-vane-8.jpg

Next... I need a way to mount it to my tripod. The quick-release mounting plate I had was too small (not enough room for the bearing). So, I ordered a new one with a larger top plate.
    weathervane mount 1.jpg

I peeled off the cork and took out the hardware from the quick-release plate:
    weathervane mount 3.jpg

Next, I hot-glued the bearing flange to the quick-release plate. It became apparent that this wasn't going to work - it came loose quite easily. The glue wasn't sticking to the quick-release plate.
    weathervane mount 7.jpg

So, I removed the glue and marked the holes on the quick-release plate for drilling.
    weathervane mount 9.jpg

weathervane mount 4.jpg

Luckily, I happened to find the perfect screws in the garage.
    weathervane mount 8.jpg

Now, that baby ain't moving!
    weathervane mount 10.jpg

Last edited:
    Here it is on the tripod!
    weathervane mount 11.jpg

Retrospectively, I would have made the shaft shorter. Also, I could use a 1/4"x20 (thread) stud with a couple of nuts to secure the weathermeter to the wind vane (instead of the 3.5-mm jack).

I finally got a video put together. Every time I went outside, the wind was nearly dead calm. Then, through the window, I'd see the wind picking up. I'd run outside with my gear, and the wind would go dead-calm. Rinse and repeat.

Finally, I got enough wind to test my rig and make a video. Though, the wind would still drop off to dead calm and then pick up again. So, I edited the video to eliminate the calm periods (and not make it too long of a video). I also added a section at the end showing how to enter the wind in manually and simulate the reticle view with the windage holdover.

The wind was still quite spotty and erratic when I made this video. Perhaps I'll make another video when the wind is more consistent.

Check it out and see what you think! Pardon my rudimentary video editing skills! :)

[video=youtube_share;udDJVaQohs0]

Last edited:
    That's cool. I didn't know he had done that.

Did know there is a rule for long time viewers and first posters that post a DIY thread?

It kind of goes like this, the first person that notifies the OP about this rule they get a free device sent to them.

Lol great work!!!

You might need some help on attaching the pictures though

Did know there is a rule for long time viewers and first posters that post a DIY thread?

It kind of goes like this, the first person that notifies the OP about this rule they get a free device sent to them.

Lol great work!!!

You might need some help on attaching the pictures though
    . Hmmm on my phone now... But when I posted from my laptop, the photos showed up. Will recheck when I get home.

OK.... I guess this forum's image management is different than other forums. I used
    BBcode type links from imgur.

If I hit "refresh," some of the images show up. Some don't. Which image format does this forum use? That way I can go back and fix it. :)

You can upload directly and they will be hosted locally.

Drag and drop.

OK... that was a bit more work, but I uploaded all the photos. They're kinda big. But, there they are! :cool:

I hope this helps someone out there! :D

Or you can use a Kestrel 5000 series vane - just need a 13/64" drill-bit, 1/4 – 20 UNC thread bolt/nut, and a little patience. And it comes with a case and fits any tripod.

Attachments

• 20190111_180924.jpg
      20190111_180924.jpg
      391.8 KB · Views: 234
    • 20190111_181035.jpg
      20190111_181035.jpg
      305.6 KB · Views: 191
    Or you can use a Kestrel 5000 series vane - just need a 13/64" drill-bit, 1/4 – 20 UNC thread bolt/nut, and a little patience. And it comes with a case and fits any tripod.

nice! but where is the fun in that :D ? Racer88 inspired me...

Attachments

• weather meter vane.jpg
      weather meter vane.jpg
      225.4 KB · Views: 85
    Mine all fits in a little (free) Kestel case, of course, the tripod is separate. I place the kit inside a backpack with rubber padding to secure my Manafrotto tripod, bench size tripod, and Vortex spooting scope.

Reactions: sabrecross
    Mine all fits in a little (free) Kestel case, of course, the tripod is separate. I place the kit inside a backpack with rubber padding to secure my Manafrotto tripod, bench size tripod, and Vortex spooting scope.

Nice. I'm able to disconnect the weather vain from my home-made mount and pack both them in my pelican rifle case.