• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Photos My first camo endeavor

Troubadour308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2009
Georgia
<span style="color: #000066"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hey y'all, just wanted to show my first AR camo endeavor. I hit em with Krylon Fusion Camo Ultra Flats after I applied 3 coats of High Heat spray paint to protect the Krylon up to 1200 degrees. I did most of the prep, degreasing and taping and base coats of High Heat and khaki, my girlfriend actually did the spongework for olive drab and brown for the artistic part. Turned out quite nicely!</span></span>

Re: My first camo endeavor

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000066">Thank y'all! It's pretty addictive - started with the AR's then started camo'ing my mags and gear!</span></span>

Looks good but I think the color contrast is just a little too strong i.e. the olive drab is too dark. Maybe on your next project you might consider muting the contrast ever so slightly. Also work on getting the negative spaces (nooks and crannies) too because as you can see in some of your pics the negative spaces where the sponge didn't get into and are just solid light (base color) lines which would stand out in the environment.

Might be able to give a light over-spray like coating to mute the dark olive drab contrast, just a thought.

I don't think it doesn't do anything to break up the outline of the rifle- it's like "hey! look at that spotted rifle!" I think it needs irregular shapes to truly camo it.

I like it a lot for it's unique look.
I have used Fusion for years now, and have done one little touch up on one of 7 rifles.
Each look unique, and I am always getting requests to do other shooters rifles.
I do agree with what some of the others say about the negative spacing and environmental blend. Buuut, it looks great and will catch eyes.
BTW....my wife does my sponge work, although she uses a bunched up rag. =0)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good but I think the color contrast is just a little too strong i.e. the olive drab is too dark. Maybe on your next project you might consider muting the contrast ever so slightly. Also work on getting the negative spaces (nooks and crannies) too because as you can see in some of your pics the negative spaces where the sponge didn't get into and are just solid light (base color) lines which would stand out in the environment.

Might be able to give a light over-spray like coating to mute the dark olive drab contrast, just a thought.</div></div>

I agree w/ High on the over spray, this would really tune up the camo work if you layered some light patterned over spray to it. that will add some layers and dimension and you can pattern it to the shapes of the rifle and really bring out the spots!

Good start! Camo is in the eye of the beholder, add some of the gear after you spray it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think it doesn't do anything to break up the outline of the rifle- it's like "hey! look at that spotted rifle!" I think it needs irregular shapes to truly camo it. </div></div>

I agree with archer. I would use the same colors but use the olive green as the primary instead of the sand. The pattern you have would work great if you used a ghillie wrap along with it.