• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My First Surgeon Rifle...

sakoshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
I recently aquired a new Surgeon Scalpel rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag. Currently, Surgeon isn't taking any new orders for custom guns, but I found my .300 Win Mag on their website for sale, as Surgeon keeps a few pre-built guns available at all times. The gun is set up with a heavy Krieger bull barrel, 1-in-10 twist, along with a badger ordinance muzzlebrake, built-in 20 moa rail, and a McMillan A-5 stock. I own numberous tactical/sniper rifle set-ups in my collection and I must say that I haven't been this overall impressed with a rifle since I bought my first Sako TRG-42 nearly six years ago!! When Surgeon maintains the claim that their rifles will shoot 1/2 inch moa at 100 yards, they're not kidding.

I've had this beauty for two days now, and I've already managed to work up a load for it. (180gr. Sierra Matchkings, using 69.4 gr. of Reloader 19). When first testing loads, I loaded up four rounds each, starting with 68.0 grains, up to 71.0 grains of Reloader 19, in 1/2 grain increments. I measured the o.a.l.to the lands, using the 180gr. SMK's and then backed off .010 of an inch. I couldn't believe what happened next. When I finished shooting my first round of test loads as previously mentioned, every grouping was a clover leaf, all averaging around 1/2" moa at 100 yards!! I couldn't believe it!! After this, it was just a matter of picking the best looking group, and then I broke the loads down into 1/10th of a grain increments and bingo!! I found the sweet spot to be 69.4 gr. of Reloader 19!! Out of four shots, three bullets managed to go through the same hole with the last shot coming in just 3/16 of an inch under, to which I'm sure it was just me, still trying to get used to the feel of my new gun.

With all of that being said, take my work for it; if any of you guys here on the Hide plan on getting into a new Surgeon rifle, you won't be disappointed. Anyone reading this that already owns one of these incredible set-ups, then you already know what I'm talking about. I'm totally impressed!! I'm now thinking about selling my Barrett M-98B and getting another Surgeon chambered in my favorite caliber, the .338 Lapua Magnum.

Bottom line; I'm very impressed and I will more than likely be a repeat customer with Surgeon. I'm very picky when it comes to my gun collection, and I'm even more picky and critical when it comes to my long-distance sniper rifle collection. I love my new Surgeon Scalpel. I'm sure that it will give me many years of enjoyment to come. I'll definitely be looking forward to my next purchase in the future.

Reactions: BCX
Re: My First Surgeon Rifle...

Ichers-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ichers-2.jpg
</div></div>

Never seen this picture before, but it's absolutely amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a rope! </div></div>

That's good stuff right there.

Sako...
I was visiting Surgeon (Steven) several weeks ago and I believe I held your 300 to compare to the weight of the 338 Remedy they have available. What an incredible weapon!! I would have thought about getting it (can't hold the .338 LM offhand nor can I afford the ammo....Dammit!!!) But I am going to wait for a Terry Cross thumbhole.( Terry, any hints when they will arrive in Prague????)
My ultimate question(s): did you get it w/ a brake? How is the recoil? Have you tried any offhand shooting?

Steven talked me out of the .338 LM because of the results with the Navy and the 210 grain SMK's at 1500 yards with the .300 WM. You didn't mention if you were able to see their operation in person, but for me, it made my year (2+ hour tour). I would love to hear more as you progress.... Thanks for the post!

Quick update on my Surgeon Scalpel .300 Win Mag: I finally found a wicked load that will do everything that I need. I'm not using the Berger 210 gr. VLD's with 77.8 grains of Reloader 19 and I'm now able to make cold bore, first-round hits at 4-inch clay pigeons at to 800+ yards!! I'm currently pushing the gun to nearly 1200 yards now. Encountering a little bit of an issue with vertical dispersion at the longer distance, but everything is looking promising.

I did get my gun with a Badger Ordnance muzzle brake. Even when shooting the 210 grainers, the recoil seems quite smooth and very tolerable, unlike shooting my Sako TRG-42 with 300 grain SMK's for up to three to four hours at a time.

I'm currently talking with Stephen at Surgeon about a possible custom .338 Lapua Magnum build. The .300 Win Mag does a great job, but the true long-distance animal is still the .338 lapua, especially when throwing 300 grainers out of the pipe!! I just got my new barrel (1-in-9.3 twist) on my old Sako TRG-42, and it really likes the 300 grain Sierra Matchkings, using H-4350 powder. Bullet stabilization is incredible!! I'm curious to try out the new Berger 300 grainers in .338 here soon. I'll be sure to keep you posted.
grin.gif