• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

my girlfriends new 17hmr **updated work pics**

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
Hi all, long time reader and decided to sign up and share some stuff. So after gettiung my girlfriend a savage 17hmr for her b day she wasnt happy with the stock. She sits next to me as i read and drool on here all the time. About 2 months ago i saw an aics rifle for sale and she was in love with the stock on it. I read up on a couple guys doing airsoft stocks on .22s so i decided to buy an airsoft and do it to her 17, I built a nice aluminum action block for it to sit in, here are a couple photos so far, hasnt been put all the way back together but i feel i need to share it a little lol. I will kjeep updating and even show exactly what i did in photos. Thanks guys and let me know what you think of it so far
IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

Re: my girlfriends new 17hmr

Nice! I've thought about doing that myself. Time to find a cheap .22 bolt action I think. Let us know how she shoots! The rifle and the girl!
smile.gif

That looks really nice so far. I'll get in line with the rest of the questions. What brand of airsoft rifle did you use for the stock? I did a little surfing after seeing your post and it seems like some have a different location in the stock for the magazine.

I think we'd all love a range report when it's finished. Excellent 1st post and welcome.

Looks pretty sweet, you definitely need to post a pic of a target or two though.

If you don't mind showing, I'm really interested in the aluminum action block you mentioned.

Good work!

If you are wanting a stock with the mag in the propper place....

Look at the Tanaka and the G&G L96's. They are gas rifles that will have the mags in the propper places. There are a few others but the internals on the stocks would be a nightmare.

A Tanaka AICS you should be able to drop in a M700 or alike right into the stock.

Other wise you will have the mag up in the fore end area, due to the way the airsoft rifle functions.

Sorry this is also another hobby of mine :p

whats funny is i spent 12.99 on this airsoft, however i cant drop the link to where im getting it as they have a limited supply and i wanna buy 3 more before there out of stock. however they replenish that stock very very often. im going to post pics today of the block and mag area, imtaking a 308 mag and going to mount the 17hmr mag inside it for an ascetic appeal. I just got done using some jb weld to attach the aluminum block to 1 half of the skin, once i get everything done on the stock i am also going to jb weld the other half to the alum block.

Since the action mounts to the block and only touches in 2 places which are the mounting screws to the original setup im not quite sure how it will effect accuracy? Any thoughts on that part?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootindude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
Since the action mounts to the block and only touches in 2 places which are the mounting screws to the original setup im not quite sure how it will effect accuracy? Any thoughts on that part? </div></div>

I'm not sure if I fully understand the question, a picture would help. If you have the action only touching the block you made and the block is only in contact with the action and the stock (barrel still free floated) there should be no negative effects.

I hope that answers your question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootindude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats funny is i spent 12.99 on this airsoft, however i cant drop the link to where im getting it as they have a limited supply and i wanna buy 3 more before there out of stock. however they replenish that stock very very often. im going to post pics today of the block and mag area, imtaking a 308 mag and going to mount the 17hmr mag inside it for an ascetic appeal. I just got done using some jb weld to attach the aluminum block to 1 half of the skin, once i get everything done on the stock i am also going to jb weld the other half to the alum block.

Since the action mounts to the block and only touches in 2 places which are the mounting screws to the original setup im not quite sure how it will effect accuracy? Any thoughts on that part? </div></div>

What is $12.99? The airsoft chassis and panels?

Love to see the block.

Ok guys here goes. Im not good at this so bear with me lol.

I got the l96 airsoft, first thing i did was take it completely apart and remove the weights, and all the pieces that originally went to the airsoft.
Next i laid out the barreled action of the 17 hmr and built an aluminum block for it to sit in, i milled out a spot for the magazine and trigger assembly. and jb welded it into 1 side of the stock. I also had to make to aluminum pillars for the bolts to go through and pillars of the barreled action to sit on.
IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Prior to attaching the aluminum block into it i had to dremel out all the excess plastic mounts etc.. for the original airsoft stuff.
IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

After getting the aluminum block attached i put it together but it felt kind of flimsy and just not up to par, i took it back apart. To stiffen it up i filled the pockets of the inside of the stockwith fiberglass resin.
IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

tomorrow morning after everything dries up i am going to fill the inside of the rest of the stock up front to help stiffen it up a little bit. I will write up a little more as the progress goes on, so far i have about 16 hours id say working on this damn thing. i put it together and take it apart a whole hell of alot to make sure its fitting good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks really nice so far. I'll get in line with the rest of the questions. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"> What brand of airsoft rifle did you use for the stock?</span></span></span> I did a little surfing after seeing your post and it seems like some have a different location in the stock for the magazine.

I think we'd all love a range report when it's finished. Excellent 1st post and welcome. </div></div>

After the resin had hardened up and everything felt secure i re assembled the 2 halfs, there is a large pocket in the front of the stock that was for the original airsoft magazine that was in the same area of the pockets i filled already. Once together i took a little duct tape to cover up the seams on the stock and the adjacent areas of the pocket as i didnt want fiberglass leaking anywhere. i then laid a few little pieces of matting in the pocket and started dumping resin in it. i ended up filling the pocket with resin and matting, Should be solid enough up front now.
IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

Re: my girlfriends new 17hmr **updated work pics**

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootindude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but wow is it a tank. </div></div>

So it is just like the real thing! LOL!! Looks good. Paint that action up!